Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times

Advertisements

Yah, I know, my mother has a very well-made and initially expensive sofa, and over the years she has had it recovered many times, so I get the value of the better-made furniture, it lasts and lasts. The thing for me with couches has always been comfort, so I'm glad you told me about the tempered steel springs. And I also like a more rounded arm, but I do think your Lee sofa choice is kinda boxy, too, so perhaps keep looking for something more like your first two choices of couches, minus their disadvantages. But if you did otherwise appreciate the cottage slipcovered couch I mentioned, a throw over one arm and accent pillows on the other end would soften it more. And as for getting worn, that's what replacement slipcovers are for. Still, no point if high-quality is part of your equation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Lee makes a great product, and what I really like about the slip-covered models is that even after the sofa itself goes discontinued, one can still special order slipcovers for several years.
You know my motto, buy the best you can possibly afford, and keep it forever!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I agree with you regarding the reupholstered approach with one caveat. I own a wonderful club chair that belonged to my mom and I have had it redone. Back in the old days furniture was made differently and was in many cases done by hand. In some of the newer furniture, the construction simply does not support the redo. I don't know anything about the particular company you are speaking about so please understand I am just passing along the comments that were made to me when I had my chair redone.
Yup! ITA!
My MIL loves to reupholster her furniture too (a hobby of hers and she does everything herself). You are right on about the frames / bones of the furniture that in the old days (where labor & materials cost less, thus "craftmanship" superior), they are more well made than many of today's furniture from the chain stores (max profit systems).

Another note to mention...
Try amish furniture (loooooove their stuff even if they are not my style)... they have the quality of the olden days and many were so well built they lasts generations. You can probably special commission some of their craftsman to build you the structure & anything else for a more than "fair" price. My FIL hires them occasionally (home craftsmanship).
And another thing great about them.... many if not all of them believes (their faith) in "fair" price, hence not gouging the public... best of all their workmanship IS superior than many (since they believes in the old ways).

If not... since I came across this...
How about the PB comfort Roll Arm sofa from PotteryBarn???
Crafted in N. Carolina with eco materials and kiln dried hardwood.

I think Ballard Designs have some nice stuff too... my MIL have a few pieces from there and they were pretty good quality I must say.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default I like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I decided against all of the above. I found this Lee sofa, which I must have walked by 10 times, dismissing it for being too contemporary for my coastal cottage nature. But its starting to grow on me. Its tall enough in the back and deep enough to curl up on. I'm thinking it shouldn't be at odds with my other items, but before I spend 15 hours sketching this out, would like to get a gut reaction as to whether or not you think its too much of a stretch. What do you think?

So here is the sofa, I'd do it in a COM navy fabric in some sort of linen/textural weave (I love that Lee is all about sustainability, but I hate their selection):

Attachment 85997

Existing pieces to coordinate with. I have the Crate and Barrel knock off of the Somerset Bay coffee table shown here. Mine is white, but its solid wood so I can make it any color.

Attachment 85998 Attachment 85999 Attachment 86000
I like this one a lot--I like the taller back, covering it in navy and adding pillows, will soften it up and make it more coasty, IMO

Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM

12 posts, read 34,252 times
It's a good idea to try a shade lighter, especially if your room will not have any sunlight. You could always paint a wall darker, but it's harder and more time consuming to change to lighter colors. Good Luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:31 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytecture View Post
It's a good idea to try a shade lighter, especially if your room will not have any sunlight. You could always paint a wall darker, but it's harder and more time consuming to change to lighter colors. Good Luck.
Um, that would be why skillful lighting is a good thing.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um, that would be why skillful lighting is a good thing.
Correct. The sofa is artificially lit, and I am selecting a fabric that will light well under various temperatures. Also, I will not do a light fabric again. It dirties too quickly.

Wall colors cannot change--especially not to a dark color. This is a rental and I don't want to spend hours painting, then double hours painting it back again.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Default Fun with Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Attachment 85997

Existing pieces to coordinate with. I have the Crate and Barrel knock off of the Somerset Bay coffee table shown here. Mine is white, but its solid wood so I can make it any color.

Attachment 85998 Attachment 85999 Attachment 86000
So I posted this before and was trying to decide if this sofa was just too transitional to go with my coastal cottage look. I don't have time to draft while I'm mid-semester, so I goofed around in Photoshop. Thought you might enjoy this. You can select a single object in PS (CS2, in this case), then do a "layer as cut." which puts that object on its own later and removes it from the background.

Do this with all your key pieces. Next you can find a picture of the furniture you want to ad in which needs to be in a similar perspective and then paste it into its own layer. You can arrange the order of the layers so that they lie on top of one another correctly. Just hide the layers you don't want to see. Its not perfect, but it will give you an idea of what the furniture looks like together. You can change the colors of the furniture by using hue and saturation settings.

I did change the perspective just a little bit to accommodate the angel of the cocktail table, but just a little. You can't change the perspective too much since its still a 2d object. Just be careful of the scale when changing the size. You want to be able to see what it will actually look like next to your existing furniture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue sofa copy.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	87127

Name:	brownsofa copy.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	87128

Name:	white sofa copy.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	87129
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating