U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2011, 11:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,992,078 times
Default Wall Tiles?? Anybody use these?

I am considering using wall tile on one wall in my house...considering this one:

Has anyone used these in their home? I have looked at the stone tiles, porcelain tiles, glass and everything else and I kinda like this design....

Also looked at this one:

Just trying to figure out if I want to go with these type of walls or just do crown molding and paint the place. Currently I have white walls all over. I have an open floor plan and I want to make one wall stand out and paint the rest of the place....need ideas on paint colors too..especially if I go with the first one..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 PM

5,316 posts, read 5,025,657 times
Both of these tiles are beautiful. Tiles in a bathroom are good for function as well as beauty. I would just caution you to use a tile that is functionally appropriate for a wet environment and one that will be ok under cleaning with normal bathroom cleaners (you don't want to have to baby your tile since it's intended to make your life simpler).

It's difficult to tell from these photos, but the top picture looks like some kind of paneling, rather than tile with grout. If so, does it have a surface appropriate for water? The second photo looks as if the tiles are of different thicknesses, not creating a flat surface. Interesting, but personally, I would avoid that simply because of the cleaning issues. But that's just me. The shorter amount of time I spend with a sponge in my hand the better. I don't even like panels on my cabinet doors because they collect dust. If you're not the one who's cleaning, perhaps you prefer form to function.

In any case, judging from these photos, I'd say you have good taste.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 23 days ago)

21,022 posts, read 22,214,952 times
Those Made in Spain ceramic tiles are approx 7.9" x 12.5" x 0.35"

Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Both of these tiles are beautiful. Tiles in a bathroom are good for function as well as beauty. I would just caution you to use a tile that is functionally appropriate for a wet environment and one that will be ok under cleaning with normal bathroom cleaners (you don't want to have to baby your tile since it's intended to make your life simpler).

It's difficult to tell from these photos, but the top picture looks like some kind of paneling, rather than tile with grout. If so, does it have a surface appropriate for water? The second photo looks as if the tiles are of different thicknesses, not creating a flat surface. Interesting, but personally, I would avoid that simply because of the cleaning issues. But that's just me. The shorter amount of time I spend with a sponge in my hand the better. I don't even like panels on my cabinet doors because they collect dust. If you're not the one who's cleaning, perhaps you prefer form to function.

In any case, judging from these photos, I'd say you have good taste.
Thanks so much!

I should have given you all a little more info...I don't want this in my bathroom...I want this on one wall in my living room so no water worries there. I'm looking to do something rather different and dramatic but not sure how to achieve that look. If I don't do this in my living room, I am considering doing this as a backdrop in my bedroom...maybe a wall tile like this one:

or this..

I'm still early in the process though. I had a tile guy come over on Friday to measure and give me some quotes. He seems reasonable so we will see what I decide to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Those Made in Spain ceramic tiles are approx 7.9" x 12.5" x 0.35"
The white wavy piece can be purchased in 12X35 and the slate one is 18X35. I am still looking at other pieces..my fear is the cost!!!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:00 PM

I bought my tile today!!! WOOHOO!! Picked up this for my wall:

And got this for my kitchen backsplash:

I need to figure out what color to paint the walls in the living room and dining room along with the kitchen...this is gonna be tricky!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,037,291 times
Who makes those wall tiles? I've not seen anything even close. Gorgeous! Does the OP have a link?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Who makes those wall tiles? I've not seen anything even close. Gorgeous! Does the OP have a link?
The wall tiles are made by Porcelanosa. Here is their website:

Tile / Kitchen / Bath | PORCELANOSA USA

Shop around if you decide to use these...I had one dealer offer me a price higher than going to the manufacturer direct....a whole $1 to $2 MORE than the manufacturer!

This is their Tokyo Wenge. It comes in the 8X12 size.

This one is Qatar Nacar and it comes in the 12X35 size piece.

The backsplash I am using is from a company called Tileset and I selected the Eclipse Linear Expresso.

Finding colors to paint is going to be a headache now!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 23 days ago)

21,022 posts, read 22,214,952 times
^^^ I checked on them here:
Porcelanosa Qatar Gloss Wall Tile. Buy Ceramic Wall & Floor Tiles from UK Bathrooms and here they are 20 x 31.6 cm = ~7.9" x ~12.5"
I guess, different sources - different sizes.

If this is not an inappropriate question - how much was the lowest offer for the Tokyo Wenge per piece? I am trying to compare prices between ordering here or overseas ( + shipping )

Old 10-08-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I checked on them here:
Porcelanosa Qatar Gloss Wall Tile. Buy Ceramic Wall & Floor Tiles from UK Bathrooms and here they are 20 x 31.6 cm = ~7.9" x ~12.5"
I guess, different sources - different sizes.

If this is not an inappropriate question - how much was the lowest offer for the Tokyo Wenge per piece? I am trying to compare prices between ordering here or overseas ( + shipping )
hey, it's not inappropriate!

I got the Tokyo Wenge for $6.35/sq ft. using the contractor's pricing at a tile store in my area. The Porcelanosa dealer offered it for $7.50/sq. ft and the Surface USA store offered it for $8.50/sq. ft. to $9.50/sq ft (not sure why they just didn't say how much...darn then!) which is odd...

It comes in a box of 19 pieces that's 8X12 I believe. I bought 10 boxes...I don't think you can buy it individually. Each box is about 12.9 sq ft if I remember correctly.

The Qatar Nacar, I saw it between $8.50 to $11/sq. ft just depending on where you were shopping..

There is a website I probably could have got it for cheaper (cheaperfloors.com) but they REFUSE to sell to people in Southern California for whatever reason....

By the way, did you look at the Tokyo Castano....that tile is freakin' gorgeous in person..I almost went with that but I am sticking with the Tokyo Wenge.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:50 AM

Ok, looking at your website, the Qatar Nacar is about $49 a square meter which is roughly 10.8 sq ft...that is a freakin' awesome price...$4.54/sq. ft

That price cannot be beat...not sure what the shipping would be because that stuff is HEAVY!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating