U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 AM

43,012 posts, read 80,159,012 times

Advertisements

Geeze. This isn't the parenting forum!

OP. Here are some ideas:

http://www.roomdecoratingideas.net/wp-content/themes/lifestyle_10/contentgalleryimages/bohemian%20decorating%20ideas.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM

btw, those big things in the first and third pictures are called "floor cushions."

Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 AM

Here are some more:

Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Ha! You can buy floor cushions at Walmart and other places for $20 and up.

Walmart.com: Your Zone Floor Cushion, Peacock Plume: Kids' & Teen Rooms

Camden Floor Cushion Pillow - Decorative Pillows - Decorative Accents - Home Accents - Touch Of Class (http://www.touchofclass.com/product/f105-001.do?code=CMF06 - broken link)

http://www.google.com/products/catal...0CH4Q8wIwATgU#

Greendale Home 5179 - Sorbet Soho Fabric Inch Indoor Square Floor

20 in. Outdoor/Indoor Square Floor Pillow - Indoor Cushions at Cushions Galore

Crate & Barrel has them too:

Floor Pillow Shopping: Decorative Floor Pillows | Crate&Barrel

Or you can buy the insert at Pottery Barn and make your own covers:

Kilim Recycled Yarn Floor Pillow | Pottery Barn

Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Or you can make your own from scratch:

Summer Sewing ~ Perfectly Portable Cushion Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog

SQUARE TUFTED FLOOR PILLOWS Weekend designer

Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 PM

23,440 posts, read 27,583,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I understand, and I really appreciate the willingness to help. I just feel uncomfortable posting photos of my apartment. We only have one interior wall in the room and I told my husband we really do need to move it there now that it's getting on toward winter (we had it in front of the built in bookshelves, an exterior wall, for the spring and summer).
I just wanted to clarify about the piano on the interior wall thing, its the humidity that has the potential to damage the piano, not heat.
My tuner has put a Christmas bulb inside my piano due to humidity levels here, dont have to have the piano tuned nearly as often now.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM

3,008 posts, read 2,921,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ha! You can buy floor cushions at Walmart and other places for $20 and up.

Walmart.com: Your Zone Floor Cushion, Peacock Plume: Kids' & Teen Rooms

Camden Floor Cushion Pillow - Decorative Pillows - Decorative Accents - Home Accents - Touch Of Class (http://www.touchofclass.com/product/f105-001.do?code=CMF06 - broken link)

Greendale Home 5183 - Bitter Omaha Amigo Fabric Inch Square Floor

Greendale Home 5179 - Sorbet Soho Fabric Inch Indoor Square Floor

20 in. Outdoor/Indoor Square Floor Pillow - Indoor Cushions at Cushions Galore

Crate & Barrel has them too:

Floor Pillow Shopping: Decorative Floor Pillows | Crate&Barrel

Or you can buy the insert at Pottery Barn and make your own covers:

Kilim Recycled Yarn Floor Pillow | Pottery Barn

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! Thank you so much for the pictures and for all the links. A million times, thanks. This is what I had in mind but couldn't quite picture it, just knew I'd seen something like this somewhere before and had no idea where to go to look for it. Also I googled using various terms and nothing came up that fit the bill so clearly I wasn't using the right terms. Really appreciate this.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I just wanted to clarify about the piano on the interior wall thing, its the humidity that has the potential to damage the piano, not heat.
My tuner has put a Christmas bulb inside my piano due to humidity levels here, dont have to have the piano tuned nearly as often now.
Well, crap! I thought it was the extreme cold that would cause the problem. Can you tell me what is the deal with the Christmas bulb? I'm not following that technology. :-) Also it may be a week or so before I get back to check this thread because we have a long holiday coming up so don't think I'm ignoring if I'm slow to respond.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Ok, I have to make one more comment on that, no, it is NOT impossible to redirect them from anything, sometimes that redirection means they spend time in their rooms, alone, away from whatever they are not supposed to be into, and yes, they are back at it the next day because they are smart and they may fool you this time .

If you can't afford new furniture, keep what you have, put rubber pads on the legs, set up another space in the house where they kids play and keep them away from the furniture. I think you are just overthinking this issue a bit and often the simplest solution is the best. Eliminating all of the 'temptations" in childhood is NOT the best way to raise kids and you should not have to make your house "as child friendly as possible"--safe, yes, but kids NEED to learn limits at a VERY early age.

Take the dining room table out of that end of the room at set up a "playroom" for the kids. Put their toys in soft baskets on the lower shelves of the bookcases, give them easy access to things and since kids that age love to take things out, put things back, take things out...keeps them busy. Get a folding table and chairs to set up in that spot for meals if you don't have another place to eat.
Well I agree with you in principle. My older children were more responsive to discipline and limits and we did very little babyproofing for them, but these younger ones have a different temperment and are much more active, more willful, much earlier. We were very firm with the older ones and it worked; we are doing the exact same thing with the younger ones and it doesn't work! They are still just little walking babies and I don't think they really "get it" yet. But anyway like I said several times already, their behavior is not the reason I'm thinking of getting rid of the furniture, it was just a contributing factor as I look at the ugly stuff we have and want to get rid of it but don't want to invest in good furniture just yet either. We do put their toys on two lower bookshelves already and they also have a nice wicker basket with their soft toys, which they love to sit in.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! Thank you so much for the pictures and for all the links. A million times, thanks. This is what I had in mind but couldn't quite picture it, just knew I'd seen something like this somewhere before and had no idea where to go to look for it. Also I googled using various terms and nothing came up that fit the bill so clearly I wasn't using the right terms. Really appreciate this.
You're welcome.

btw, the red one in the Tazi designs picture looks like a corduroy slip cover over a twin size mattress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating