U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,830 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am an interior designer and I am looking for some latest trends of living room furniture. Can anyone help me out in this?

Please provide me some really useful and creative suggestions.

Best Regards,
Neil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 AM

885 posts, read 1,357,558 times
What I've seen as the latest trend is using eclectic mod chaises and futons instead of of sofa and chairs

Also the orientation of the room can be toward a few or media center rather than the conversation cluster

I think coffee tables are on the way out; sideboards are in

Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,139,515 times
I have seen many use of "wicker" in the new interior trends...
See trend 2011

I have seen them in use as decor, side tables, coffee tables and even as a focus chair.

I love the idea of bringing the "outside" in... thus still enjoying the summers as the season comes to an end....

I also love the use of fur or shaggy wool texture... as decor (throws, rugs etc.)...
It adds dimension (texture wise) to the otherwise smoothness of say a leather couch / chair... even though patterns work too to contrast & add dimension... but I still love the feeling of that roughness (texture), be it in the woven wicker or that soft shag of the pillow/rug.

Coarse texture like a burlap sack or coarse weave that lets in some semblance of light is also a very "in" thing as an added focal point to the interior. Again, contrast is important to enhance the space... to make it less boring.

As with any art... too much of certain things can still make the space look "hoard-ish" & "cluttered". Too much of a collection of many "in" objects still will "un-work" a space. Like a great painting... it must have composition, a focal point, make use of a theme etc. and it cannot have too much nor too little (remember don't overdo it)... just nice / happy medium is key.

As to pieces of furniture...
let no one tell you what & how to live your life.

Remember that the comforts of YOUR home is never the comfort of the interior decorator's.
So yes... sofa is still in... and coffee tables still are... else places like Crate & Barrel's, Ballard Designs, WE, Restoration Hardware etc. etc. would have quit selling them & in-house interior decorators would have quit "buying" them.

Foods for thoughts.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM

915 posts, read 2,987,055 times
For 2012 -- our last year on the good Earth, we will see a number of come-backs.

And urban chic Himalayan look with floor seating in bean bags and colorful pillows is IN
Fine wood furnishings are OUT

Latest Trend For Living Room Furniture-untitled-5.jpg

People will be dashing to the grocery in 2012 to get garbage stickers for their Baker, Century, Lee, Hernden, Stanley and other swank furnishings. They will replace them with throw pillows and low profile occasional tables.

Faux Victorian Gazebo Wedding - IN!!

Latest Trend For Living Room Furniture-110613g.jpg

Another big trend for 2012--and a personal favorite of yours truly--is the cowboy, wild-west theme. Anne get 'ur gun!

Latest Trend For Living Room Furniture-110613f.jpg

Also making a come back, wood paneling. Yes, that fabulous particle board oak-veneer will be returning to many homes. No need to bother with the muss and fuss of painting ever again.

Latest Trend For Living Room Furniture-100214flintmi4.jpg

And with such a bad economy, and knowledge of impending doom in which we will need to sell all of our worldly possessions just to purchase a loaf of bread, we will be re purposing Grandma's old furniture.

Latest Trend For Living Room Furniture-101115bismarcknd2.jpg
Latest Trend For Living Room Furniture-101128wausauwi1.jpg

Last but not least, wall paper and mauve carpet -- IN and IN!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
For 2012 -- our last year on the good Earth, we will see a number of come-backs.

Floor seating with bean backs and colorful pillows is IN
Fine wood furnishings are OUT

Attachment 85926

People will be dashing to the grocery in 2012 to get garbage stickers for their Baker, Century, Lee, Hernden, Stanley and other swank furnishings. They will replace them with throw pillows and low profile occasional tables.

Faux Victorian Gazebo Wedding - IN!!

Attachment 85925

Another big trend for 2012--and a personal favorite of yours truly--is the cowboy, wild-west theme. Anne get 'ur gun!

Attachment 85924

Also making a come back, wood paneling. Yes, that fabulous particle board oak-veneer will be returning to many homes. No need to bother with the muss and fuss of painting ever again.

Attachment 85921

And with such a bad economy, and knowledge of impending doom in which we will need to sell all of our worldly possessions to purchase just a loaf of bread, we will be re purposing Grandma's old furniture.

Attachment 85922
Attachment 85923
I love the above highlighted line...

2012 it is!

That is why I love my leathers, furs & woolens (I collect them) in its "purity" state, as my furniture is also mainly glass, metals (WW2, households trade metal to the factories to make weapons) and real hardwood (as fuel) so they should out-last the MDFs & veneer stuffs not a problem..... just in case of a trade-ins (think back to silk route). Lol!

Function you see... "plan" function in its very basic "design for a purpose" idea.

P.S. I really dig that red contemporary fireplace in the woodpaneling pic.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM

Oh and don't forget "lights" for 2012 (you know how "lighting" is important to decor)...

So the candles is a classic and will never go out of style especially in 2012.
You will need candles (and loads of them) so that you can trade them if you like for that loaf of bread.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 PM

2,202 posts, read 3,683,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil007 View Post
Hello All,

I am an interior designer and I am looking for some latest trends of living room furniture. Can anyone help me out in this?

Please provide me some really useful and creative suggestions.

Best Regards,
Neil
Neil007...you should have said you're in London. Really?...007? LOL.

Americans are going to throw you way off from what is trendy in the UK.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM

^^^Ah... cool!

UK Home Trends for 2011 | Millennial Living ®

My DH loooves all things "euro".

Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM

43,012 posts, read 96,055,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
I think coffee tables are on the way out; sideboards are in
I agree about coffee tables being on the way out, except for formal living rooms.

Coffee tables take up valuable space, interfere with the use of ottomans, and limit the ways furniture can be arranged in a room.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM

915 posts, read 2,987,055 times
LOL - trolls are completely lost on this forum....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating