Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times

Advertisements

A few weekends ago on my trip back to my MIL, I visited one of my favourite furniture store "Penn Furniture"... they have a floors upon floors dedicated to Thomasville, Stanley, Henredon, Century, Stickley, Bernhardt etc...

while most the sales rep told me are made in USA or even crafted by local artisan & featured there (like that buried ash/walnut piece I might be interested in)... there is a chance certain pieces may be made in China (like Stanley, Thomasville, Henredon...) ????

Just to hear some honest opinion...

would you or would you not drop $5000 and up for a high end piece of furniture that is "Made in China"??? Even if you really really "fell in love" with that piece???

Why???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM

I know I would not... but thats just me.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Nope. Not unless it was an actual antiquity that was 100+ years old.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM

81 posts, read 159,755 times
I have gotten a lot of my furniture from Cisco Brothers (Cisco Brothers | Sustainable Furniture), which is largely (if not entirely) made in the USA. It is expensive but worth it to me.

We just picked up a sectional for 5k from them that retails for about 8k (as we know the owner). Their stuff will last a very long time.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Well, if you search the net you might find statements like this:
" All my Stanley Furniture (the Cottage Revival Collection in Mackanaw White) was made in China as it said stamped on each piece"
Is Stanley furniture made in the USA? - Furniture Forum - GardenWeb

The retail world is littered with low-priced, mass-produced furniture made in China that looks good on the showroom floor but the quality is seriously lacking. Something you might not realize until you’ve it had it a year or two.
Are Your Furnishings Made in The USA? | My Design Secrets

and this:

China Stanley Furniture, Chinese Stanley Furniture Manufacturers - Made in China

Thomasville furniture - statement made by Thomas Tilley CEO
http://www.soc.duke.edu/NC_GlobalEco...e_fulltext.pdf

Made in China Henredon Furniture Catalog:
China Henredon Furniture Catalog, Chinese Henredon Furniture Catalog Manufacturers - Made in China
Only handcrafted and upholstered/leather furniture are made in the USA.

A Comprehensive Consumer Resource &
Shopper's Guide for Goods Made in the USA - Furniture:
Made in USA Furniture
As you can see only selected pieces are still made in the USA.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Nope. Not unless it was an actual antiquity that was 100+ years old.
You are right!
If it is a piece of antique (growing up, my close friend's family from SG actually owns an antique store not a block from my house... and got a few treasures from her when I left for abroad) from China (old dynasty stuffs)... I would gladly drop that for a worthy piece.

Great point!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, if you search the net you might find statements like this:
" All my Stanley Furniture (the Cottage Revival Collection in Mackanaw White) was made in China as it said stamped on each piece"
Is Stanley furniture made in the USA? - Furniture Forum - GardenWeb

The retail world is littered with low-priced, mass-produced furniture made in China that looks good on the showroom floor but the quality is seriously lacking. Something you might not realize until you’ve it had it a year or two.
Are Your Furnishings Made in The USA? | My Design Secrets

and this:

China Stanley Furniture, Chinese Stanley Furniture Manufacturers - Made in China

Thomasville furniture - statement made by Thomas Tilley CEO
http://www.soc.duke.edu/NC_GlobalEco...e_fulltext.pdf

Made in China Henredon Furniture Catalog:
China Henredon Furniture Catalog, Chinese Henredon Furniture Catalog Manufacturers - Made in China
Only handcrafted and upholstered/leather furniture are made in the USA.

A Comprehensive Consumer Resource &
Shopper's Guide for Goods Made in the USA - Furniture:
Made in USA Furniture
As you can see only selected pieces are still made in the USA.

I started this thread because I read some similar posts from "Gardenweb" and got me interested (if you click on the highlighted Stanley, Thomasville... line).

Double cool for all the extra links.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Time to make another plug for my favorite furniture store, Room and Board, whose product line is still 90% American-manufactured. Their quality is also generally good to great for their price point.

Modern Furniture - Room & Board

Old 10-21-2011, 06:35 AM

^^^Room & Board, I love their stuffs...
haven't bought anything from them yet but their style is in line with mine.

And no... don't mix them up with "Room store" (that place has questionable sales people).

I love DWR too... they have been always my go to store.

Though they are not just "MIA" (Made in America", they carries stuffs Made in Europe as well... And will admit I do like Italian furniture (love their leather crafts).

Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
A few weekends ago on my trip back to my MIL, I visited one of my favourite furniture store "Penn Furniture"... they have a floors upon floors dedicated to Thomasville, Stanley, Henredon, Century, Stickley, Bernhardt etc...

while most the sales rep told me are made in USA or even crafted by local artisan & featured there (like that buried ash/walnut piece I might be interested in)... there is a chance certain pieces may be made in China (like Stanley, Thomasville, Henredon...) ????

Just to hear some honest opinion...

would you or would you not drop $5000 and up for a high end piece of furniture that is "Made in China"??? Even if you really really "fell in love" with that piece???

Why???
No way I would drop $5000 for a high end piece Made in China. There are way too many high quality, handmade furniture companies in the USA to get anything from China.

And yes, my wife and I love Room & Board. I love all of their stuff, but we have a chair from them and it is excellent.

There is a furniture company in North Carolina called Younger Furniture that we purchased a sofa from last year who is excellent as well. All handmade in North Carolina and very high quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating