U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM

299 posts, read 24,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You're pushing this man to buy your junk. His kitchen is already completed. American Capital is not very good and advertising is not allowed here
desertsun41:
As someone who is considering Americana Capital cabinets on the advice of a contractor I have worked with before and trust, can you tell me why they are "not very good"? I would really like to know. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM

219 posts, read 307,081 times
adamz,

They are 1/2" American plywood boxes, bottom and 2 sides, they have a 3/8" American Plywood back, they have a 5/8" solid wood drawer that is dovetailed and softclose. They are made with an I-beam construction so the boxes hold their shape. The slide has a lifetime warranty by the manufacturer. This slide is American made as well. The hinges are American made as well and have a lifetime warranty by the manufacturer. If you have any other questions just let me know. The face frames are solid Maple.

Last edited by MCS1; 03-05-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
adamz,

They are 1/2" American plywood boxes, bottom and 2 sides, they have a 3/8" American Plywood back, they have a 5/8" solid wood drawer that is dovetailed and softclose. They are made with an I-beam construction so the boxes hold their shape. The slide has a lifetime warranty by the manufacturer. This slide is American made as well. The hinges are American made as well and have a lifetime warranty by the manufacturer. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Thanks, MCS1, I appreciate the reply. I'm still hoping to hear specifics of what desertsun41 feels is wrong with them- sometimes negative opinions are more informative than positive ones.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM

Okay.

I do carry that cabinet and have had all kids of positive feed back on them.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,671 times
Look I found this one in a blog. Its amazing!

http://www.bocadolobo.com/le/heritage.html (broken link)

Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
desertsun41:
As someone who is considering Americana Capital cabinets on the advice of a contractor I have worked with before and trust, can you tell me why they are "not very good"? I would really like to know. Thanks!
They are worth a look. I jumped the gun calling them junk with my defensive reflex. I'm quite partial to the brand I been involved with for over 3 decades which is still the best. That ain't my opinion or anyone elses. It's just a fact. I only happen to agree with that fact.

I respect Wellborn Cabinets. They been around about 25 years. I remember all the hoopala advertising way back when I was already involved with Merillat. They rented large booths at the NKBA convention. Wellborn just now came out with this low cost version called Americana Capital Cabinets to answer the demand for cheap cheap cheap and may every other factor be damned. That don't make them bad. All the major cabinet companies have done it. Even Merillat came out with the Basic 1 series which is even cheaper then the Merillat Essentials line.

Today no one cares about quality. Want proof? Just look at the Walmart parking lots completely filled to capacity all hours of the day. The consumer don't care about warranty, who sells it, the expertise of those selling it, how long they been in biz, or where it is made.........they only want to know one thing. HOW MUCH??!!!???

Today cheap does not necessarily mean junk if it is made in the USA as American Capital is. Low cost can simply mean colors, options and choices are limited which keeps production cost down thus producing a lower cost item. There you have it.

Can't beat the lifetime warranty. Though honestly the vast majority of my customers could care less about warranties that extend past tomorrow. They only care about cost and what it looks like. Though you still get the old school mind that feels a cabinet box should be 3/4" thick. I always ask are you trying to hold up a 3 story house or a slab of granite.

Take a look at them Adam. But look at others too. Just whatever you do. Do not buy that dangerous formaldehyde, sulfur and lead infested made in China junk or your family's health will be at great risk. Especially kids.

Good luck

Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM

adamz,

Two things:

Americana Capital Cabinets are not made by Wellborn.

Wellborn Cabinet Company seems to be on a move to eliminate the need for cabinet dealers like desertsun and me. Most that sell Wellborn are contractors.

Have a great day!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM

Desertsun41-
Thanks for taking the time to reply, and being honest enough to admit that you jumped the gun. Some folks cannot do that no matter what.

MCS1-
It's my understanding that Americana Capital is made by Wellborn Forest, not Wellborn. Is that what you meant?

Thanks again to both of you guys, great info here available no where else!
Adam

Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 AM

Yes that is what I meant. Two totally different companies. They are not both owned by the Wellborn family any longer.

You're Welcome!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
adamz,

Two things:

Americana Capital Cabinets are not made by Wellborn.

Wellborn Cabinet Company seems to be on a move to eliminate the need for cabinet dealers like desertsun and me. Most that sell Wellborn are contractors.

Have a great day!
How do you mean? How can they hurt anyone since they have such a small piece of the market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating