Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:43 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions
want to put something in the corner of my dining room, it's the little informal dining room with only four chairs. I have a large black wine rack in the one corner, and the theme is wine....grapes, etc.

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:13 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
You can get some fake or real vines to go around those wine racks, to dress it up a bit. A nice rubber plant in the corner? Or something to add color-->ac****uate an item, like the wine rack.

You can get a nice mirror, and do some woodworking on it, to make it look like a window with a mirror as the window, then a flower box on the inside of that, with what ever will go with the room as a complimentary thing?

Lighting? Torch lamp? Or, are you looking for ambience in the room?

Either way, there are so many possibilities, and I hope you get a bushel full of them.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
You can get some fake or real vines to go around those wine racks, to dress it up a bit. A nice rubber plant in the corner? Or something to add color-->ac****uate an item, like the wine rack.

You can get a nice mirror, and do some woodworking on it, to make it look like a window with a mirror as the window, then a flower box on the inside of that, with what ever will go with the room as a complimentary thing?

Lighting? Torch lamp? Or, are you looking for ambience in the room?

Either way, there are so many possibilities, and I hope you get a bushel full of them.

I wish you well...

Jesse
thanks so much Jesse, the mirror idea sounds great, however, it's more country and my decor is victorian....I have a round table with damask covered parson's chairs...hmmmm I dunno, don't want to do a plant...there is a patio door there, with damask drapes that are draped...?????

Any other ideas?

would you have a pic of the mirror idea with flower box...I need this to be on the inside of the house, in a small corner?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,102 times
Sorry, dont have a pic with the mirror and flower box... I purged all my favoriites and woodworking sites, when I could no longer do woodworking anymore...

You could maybe investigave GOOGLE for mirrored window (woodworking), and that may bring up ideas...

You wouldnt believe the crafts I have seen, by getting into sites where they DIY and all that, very inventive people out there...

Also, you may want to try diy.com... they have crafters, and professional people who set up houses and can advise you in so many ways... (no, I dont work for the site, I used to post there for years, off and on).

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Sorry, dont have a pic with the mirror and flower box... I purged all my favoriites and woodworking sites, when I could no longer do woodworking anymore...

You could maybe investigave GOOGLE for mirrored window (woodworking), and that may bring up ideas...

You wouldnt believe the crafts I have seen, by getting into sites where they DIY and all that, very inventive people out there...

Also, you may want to try diy.com... they have crafters, and professional people who set up houses and can advise you in so many ways... (no, I dont work for the site, I used to post there for years, off and on).

I wish you well...

Jesse
Jesse, thanks so very much....

Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I'm a bit confused. I never associate Victorian with informal. Demask drapery doesn't sound informal either. Can you post a picture of your dining room?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm a bit confused. I never associate Victorian with informal. Demask drapery doesn't sound informal either. Can you post a picture of your dining room?
+1.
I always like to see what I am dealing with before making suggestions.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Ya, same here. When I hear Victorian I think formal.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
How about a really kewl old time corner cabinet. They don't take much space, but they really can be a nice showcase for your nicer glassware, or the odd pieces you collect. In your case various wine goblets, glasses. Usually they have lil drawers, that could hold you wine cuttlery, opener....the lil shelf could hold you wine serving tray, and carafe when you have company. You could even do it in black like your other piece. I think that would look great. I wish I had room for a corner cabinet. I am sure that you could find an example online.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 AM

Hope
I found a picture on line, it isn't my dining room but it is the set I have. However, the chairs are much darker red demask material. The curtains are red Demask material and the walls are a butter cream light yellow. So, in this picture, where the window is, is where my patio door is. I'm going to have it taken out and in place of it put a bow window. Anyway, in one corner of the room I have this tall black iron wine holder... I'll try and find a picture of it online...and the other corner is bare....it needs something.

this room is an open floor design which has the kitchen on one side and the family room on the other...I have the table covered with a red cloth and over top white lace...

I think of this room as informal, b/c it's so small....I put my formal dining area in the formal living room so I'd have much more room for entertaining family and friends. To me that is so much more formal...I have a formal Cherry set...with claw legs, sits 15-20 with a side board and huge buffet china cabinet, with beveled glass top. The set has cloth gold & beige fabric like these chairs do. Again, this is not my dining area, this is a picture off the internet of the set.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating