Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

if this is not your forever home and you plan to sell in a few years, pick the cheapest option that is most attractive to you. pick one that too you think will appeal to the most people. every buyer is individual and you can't really figure out what a buyer may want, just pick something that is the most universal. I like the choice in the first post on the left, but keeping a budget in mind the less expensive would have to do the trick. after it is in you won't even remember what you would have choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:56 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Avalon - you seem not to be understanding my post so I will try again.

Not sealing your granite does not cause it to turn cloudy - granite turns cloudy when you wipe it with ordinary dish washing soap on a sponge or dish cloth...the detergent builds up and causes cloudiness - this has nothing to do with sealing or not sealing. Cleaners not specifically made for stone can eventually cause cloudiness that is why most fabricators recommend that you use only those cleaners made specifically for granite.

Sealing protects granite from staining, period. A well sealed granite will eventually turn cloudy when it is washed repeatedly with a cloth or sponge containing dish washing detergent and not cleaned with a granite cleaner - I'm not talking about harsh chemicals here - merely dish soap. The build-up and cloudiness takes place above the sealer not within the stone. Using a good granite cleaner will remove the cloudiness. Using a good granite cleaner regularly will prevent granite from becoming cloudy in the first place.

I have attended two large design shows this year and saw lots of busy granite (expensive exotics are still very much popular with those who can afford them -those exotics are much more expensive than some of the lower grade granites or even the nicest of quartz countertops). I also saw granite that was not busy, quartz, marble, soapstone, many different finishes to granite that caused it not to look like typical granite, etc. Currently I don't think there is any one exclusive popular look as far as kitchen counter designs go - just a broader choice of countertop material styles and finishes.

And once again - there are a number of exotic and higher grade granites that are much, much more expensive than quartz. The granite that we have is one of those. Can you find granite and quartz that are similarly priced? Is some granite cheaper than quartz? Yes...but to state that granite is cheaper than quartz is not completely accurate because granite can also be more expensive than quartz.
I did not misunderstand you -- your original post said "detergent or other chemicals". I didn't use detergent on my granite -- though perhaps some might've been on the sponge when I wiped it down -- and I DID lose a special granite cleaner. I assumed some areas turned cloudy because I didn't get it sealed, but you seem to be an expert on it, so maybe not. I just know I was not happy.

OK, you have an exotic expensive high-end granite that's more expensive than quartz. It was not meant to be an insult that IN GENERAL, quartz runs more per SF than many *typical* popular granites. Maybe the OP can share the SF price of the two materials pictured.

So you attended design shows and observed displays of granite. That does not negate what I've observed in recent TV design shows and kitchen magazines, which is a trend towards soapstone, Carrera marble, quartz and concrete.

ETA: I wouldn't get granite again just for the fact that you can't wipe it down with the normal household sponge that might have dish detergent on it. Because that's apparently what caused it to lose its luster, according to you.

Last edited by Avalon08; 12-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Your granite is very pretty and obviously not one of the "busy" patterns I was talking about earlier. Is it Uba Tuba?
Thank you! I love it too. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it. The previous owners installed it at some time before I bought my home in 2002, and I never asked about it. By the way, like you I wipe it down with a wet sponge (or Tuffee) daily as needed. I'm as perplexed as everyone about the reasons for your more frequent clouding.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:59 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Quote:
I did not misunderstand you -- your original post said "detergent or other chemicals". I didn't use detergent on my granite -- though perhaps some might've been on the sponge when I wiped it down -- and I DID lose a special granite cleaner. I assumed some areas turned cloudy because I didn't get it sealed, but you seem to be an expert on it, so maybe not. I just know I was not happy.

OK, you have an exotic expensive high-end granite that's more expensive than quartz. It was not meant to be an insult that IN GENERAL, quartz runs more per SF than many *typical* popular granites. Maybe the OP can share the SF price of the two materials pictured.

So you attended design shows and observed displays of granite. That does not negate what I've observed in recent TV design shows and kitchen magazines, which is a trend towards soapstone, Carrera marble, quartz and concrete.

ETA: I wouldn't get granite again just for the fact that you can't wipe it down with the normal household sponge that might have dish detergent on it. Because that's apparently what caused it to lose its luster, according to you.
You really can still wipe granite down with a little dish soap, you just need to spend 2 minutes a week and spray and wipe your granite down with granite cleaner....it isn't that difficult to do but I can understand that some might not want to take that time. I do agree with you that the trend for counters is more towards neutral, plainer surfaces which I do like but still love a nice piece of interesting granite. My favorite is marble - if it didn't etch and stain so badly, I'd have a kitchen and master bathroom full of it - it is my very favorite, especially if it has interesting veining.

When my husband and I stayed in a hotel a little while back, the bathroom had gorgeous marble counters and walls....I set out my various bottles of shampoo, cosmetics, etc. on the counter between the sinks - the maid removed them and put a tray underneath them with a note asking me to use the tray because my cosmetics would stain the marble....I just don't want to be that careful I guess.

I'm not exactly an expert on granite but I have done tons of research on it and talked extensively with granite fabricators - I really wanted to understand granite and how to take care of it and so far, I have no complaints.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times
Quote:
Maybe the OP can share the SF price of the two materials pictured.
Certainly! The quartz is $50sf and the granite is $45.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
Sorry, chiming in late here, but I think that the quartz in your picture is either the same one or very similar to ours. Is it from Cambria? We had ours put in in early 2006 and have had 0 problems with it. One of the reasons we went with it was the uniformity of the product, but its not so uniform that it looks plain (there are larger and smaller bits of rock throughout that mix it up a bit). I didn't read all the comments, but honestly, I would always use a trivet on granite or quartz. Common sense would tell you that placing something very hot on something very cold might not yield the best results and I don't care if its granite or quartz! Also, we use a crock pot all the time and have had no problems with the quartz. Also, I don't think we have a single scratch anywhere on it. It literally looks the same today as when we installed in almost 6 years ago now...

Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
This is the one that we have....
Attached Thumbnails
Which one..quartz or granite? Pic....-swatch_7620.jpg  

Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
None of the above?

I know it seems obnoxious when people are presented with a choice and don't like either side, but that's where I am here.

Given your plans I think your primary consideration should be resale, and I'm concerned that both of your presented choices are very busy, and that is likely to turn some people off. Since they know the price they're paying for the house is going to include a $2000 bump for the stone countertop they may balk at buying and then replacing it with something they like better.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
None of the above?

I know it seems obnoxious when people are presented with a choice and don't like either side, but that's where I am here.

Given your plans I think your primary consideration should be resale, and I'm concerned that both of your presented choices are very busy, and that is likely to turn some people off. Since they know the price they're paying for the house is going to include a $2000 bump for the stone countertop they may balk at buying and then replacing it with something they like better.
I wouldn't worry too terribly much about someone wanting to replace a counter top because its too busy. If its obnoxiously busy or an odd color (e.g. pink), then yes, possibly. I don't think either of these offerings are too extreme. For the granite, I would not order from just a small square--as has already been discussed.

If the design is tasteful and it is staged nicely when its time to sell, buyers will likely not notice the pattern of the counter-top itself as much as they will notice the overall color palette and style of the room.

I've long believed that the typical buyer is not purchasing your house so much the feeling that struck them the first time they walked in your door. If they got warm fuzzies on the showing--and they didn't get bigger warm fuzzies somewhere else--they'll likely be back. You can generate this feeling with a nice color pallette, decent furnishings, and a pleasant aroma. The most important factors are to make sure your home is clean and tastefully accessorized, the colors aren't garish or extreme, flaws aren't screaming their faces, the layout is attractive, and you are priced right next to your competition.

Of course, that's just my own opinion. I'd love other home stagers in the room to add their own thoughts.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
I'm telling you it isn't the granite that is too busy - it is the granite in combination with the floor that is too busy....really look at that picture of the kitchen - the floor is over powering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating