Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM

252 posts, read 387,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just looked again. Thanks. My opinion still stands. The big mistake being made is trying to make the built in a focal point. The room is too narrow to arrange the furniture facing that direction. It's better to put the TV with the armoire and place it on the other side of the room, on the wall where the desk is located perhaps and arrange your furniture using the length of the room instead of the width of the room. And use the the built in as the audio area since an audio area doesn't need to be a vocal point, but it will make an interesting backdrop for the room.
I'm leaning towards thinking about how the built in wall unit can function as a place to neatly keep all my media, with the armoire being retrofitted to be meant more for audio gear. That would also keep the built in unit from being a focus of the room, where I want my audio equipment to be part of what the room is being designed around.

The cubby holes are also of a perfect size for holding vinyl records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
I'm leaning towards thinking about how the built in wall unit can function as a place to neatly keep all my media, with the armoire being retrofitted to be meant more for audio gear. That would also keep the built in unit from being a focus of the room, where I want my audio equipment to be part of what the room is being designed around.

The cubby holes are also of a perfect size for holding vinyl records.
You could hang album covers on the opening in the middle where a TV would normally be located. I think you'll make a big mistake having the TV at the built in wall. The room is too narrow for your furniture to face that wall without dividing the room up. You really have no choice but to have two separate furniture arrangements in the room if you put your TV on either of the narrow walls. It would still be an awesome focal point in the room without the furniture facing it. But maybe I'm misunderstanding and you're saying that you don't need your furniture to face the TV.

Can you give the measurements of the room, along with the measurements of the walls and the door and window openings? It would be so much easier to draw furniture arrangement ideas for you.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You could hang album covers on the opening in the middle where a TV would normally be located. I think you'll make a big mistake having the TV at the built in wall. The room is too narrow for your furniture to face that wall without dividing the room up. You really have no choice but to have two separate furniture arrangements in the room if you put your TV on either of the narrow walls. It would still be an awesome focal point in the room without the furniture facing it. But maybe I'm misunderstanding and you're saying that you don't need your furniture to face the TV.

Can you give the measurements of the room, along with the measurements of the walls and the door and window openings? It would be so much easier to draw furniture arrangement ideas for you.

sorry no that's not what I meant - I'm going to turn the furniture around as recommended, and not have the tv in the unit. I was thinking the unit's main focus would be for media storage. I just need to figure out how to make the tv fit in with my audio equipment on the other wall.

I agree that the way I have the furniture forced into that smaller area isn't working at all. I will need to get something to measure the actual length of the room, etc. - I don't have a measuring tape that is long enough to measure things in feet.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Slight update - my friend who is doing my renovations came over. Yesterday, we are adding shelving inside the. Built in that should hold all my videotapes, and we are reprinting/reconfiguring the tv armoire I had up on Craigslist to be used to display all my audio equipment.

I had another thought about repurposing the media stand that is currently in front of my fireplace - what if I had it painted a lighter color, and used that for the tv and my VCR/DVD type equipment? My thoughts were to caddycorner the audio armoire where the glass shelving piece currently is, and then The media stand with the tv on top of it could be centered on the wall where the cherry bookcases currently are.

Perhaps I could get some funky shelving to accent the wall as well?

My friend also gave me suggestions on covering the fireplace so that the space would be useful without having to hide it with furniture.

At this point what I'm realizing is that this isn't as much a living room as it is a media room/family room environment.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Slight update - my friend who is doing my renovations came over. Yesterday, we are adding shelving inside the. Built in that should hold all my videotapes, and we are reprinting/reconfiguring the tv armoire I had up on Craigslist to be used to display all my audio equipment.

I had another thought about repurposing the media stand that is currently in front of my fireplace - what if I had it painted a lighter color, and used that for the tv and my VCR/DVD type equipment? My thoughts were to caddycorner the audio armoire where the glass shelving piece currently is, and then The media stand with the tv on top of it could be centered on the wall where the cherry bookcases currently are.

Perhaps I could get some funky shelving to accent the wall as well?

My friend also gave me suggestions on covering the fireplace so that the space would be useful without having to hide it with furniture.

At this point what I'm realizing is that this isn't as much a living room as it is a media room/family room environment.
Good call for the built ins!
Honestly, I cant see the audio piece well enough in your pics to make a judgement call on whether to paint it, ditch it, or what.
Putting the armoire on an angle in that corner is just going to look odd.
What needs to happen an your audio wall is this, as far as design-wise.
Whatever is put on that wall needs to be in balance with the built-in, otherwise the room is going to feel off kilter, with the weight, so to speak, on the side of the built-in wall.
Does what I am saying make sense to you?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Good call for the built ins!
Honestly, I cant see the audio piece well enough in your pics to make a judgement call on whether to paint it, ditch it, or what.
Putting the armoire on an angle in that corner is just going to look odd.
What needs to happen an your audio wall is this, as far as design-wise.
Whatever is put on that wall needs to be in balance with the built-in, otherwise the room is going to feel off kilter, with the weight, so to speak, on the side of the built-in wall.
Does what I am saying make sense to you?
See this is why I am learning to post here before actually doing anything I'm going to try to take some better photos of the room so that you can see better what I am dealing with.

And, I'll also take a better photo of the armoire with it being right side up. Will post those after work today, unless I have time to before I leave for work this morning.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
See this is why I am learning to post here before actually doing anything I'm going to try to take some better photos of the room so that you can see better what I am dealing with.

And, I'll also take a better photo of the armoire with it being right side up. Will post those after work today, unless I have time to before I leave for work this morning.
So glad I can help!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Here are new photos I took of the layout of the room from various angles, as well as closer up photos of the tv armoire and the media stand

http://mydigitaljourney.shutterfly.com/4678

Are these more helpful?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
Burbank,
This thing is getting a tad out of hand, in my opinion. I was the one on this thread on Page 7, who went by the pics you put on Page 2 of this thread. I said I liked your cool stereo cabinet and how it was parked in front of the fireplace (and I LIKED the mirror) and how the easy chair was next to it. It just looked like that duo was meant to be where you had it, especially when looking towards the bank of windows. So, I just thought, hey, if for just one afternoon, you flipped the couch away from facing the built-in, so it's now facing the fireplace wall, hey, you've got a really nice seating area there! And so easy, too!

Just give it a shot, what, maybe one minute flip the couch, turn on the stereo, and lay back. You'll like it, the expanse will be relaxing, and the rug you originally wanted will REALLY make it cozy. And won't cost nothing. And don't you DARE paint that cool stereo cabinet. My advice from my long-ago post is still pretty much the same, but now I hear maybe some of those armoire ideas will fit in for the TV, so stick it next to the entry to the living room somewhere, about where you've been keeping that desk. Just so you can see the TV from both armchair and couch. GG

Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Here are new photos I took of the layout of the room from various angles, as well as closer up photos of the tv armoire and the media stand

http://mydigitaljourney.shutterfly.com/4678

Are these more helpful?
Yes! Especially picture 6 facing all of the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating