Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
Which is exactly why I'm posting before purchasing - the last thing I want to do is end up back where I started.

So, no pottery barn tv stand. I really do love the Ethan Allen piece, so I may want to think about how to make the room blend around that style.

As I get rid of the rest of the misfits, hopefully this will happen. I just need to make sure that I'm not buying more misfits. And, I want to veer more towards quality pieces that will last yet still fit into my budget.

Pottery Barn has never been and never will be part of my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
The sage green I posted about is along the lines of a pastel. It isn't truely pastel but it is a lighter shade of green that would work in your place.

Since you seem to be gravitating toward some white/off-white pieces and some darker wood tones, why not have a couple rooms with the white pieces and a another with the dark woods. That way you can have some of each in your place and still have the flow of each individual room work.

I think I would start a list of priorities. From your posts the number one would be your living room. Get that done, painted, furnished, move on to the next room whatever that might be. Then inside each room, prioritize what is needed. If you are a little more methodical about this, it keeps you from wandering and focuses your likes/dislikes better. "Sure that tv stand is nice, but I'm not looking for one right now, next page."

Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM

252 posts, read 386,954 times
I'm going to look at greens that run more into the sage family on Saturday, I'm hoping that I will be able to refine the color this weekend so that I can get the painting done next week.

And yes regarding the rooms - I do really want to focus specifically on the living room right now, and then go off of priorities to tackle the rest of the place one room at a time.

It's looking like my den will end up being the home of my mish mashed leftovers, and will likely be the very last room that I deal with.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The sage green I posted about is along the lines of a pastel. It isn't truely pastel but it is a lighter shade of green that would work in your place.
Is this the dry sage color that you are referencing?

http://www.lifamilies.com/chat/p/1151823_1.jpg

http://www.tomtarrant.com/images/green.jpg

its very close to what I think I could be happy with, the only thing is I'm wondering how it would look with dark floors/lighter furniture, as opposed to with lighter colored floors.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Is this the dry sage color that you are referencing?

http://www.lifamilies.com/chat/p/1151823_1.jpg

http://www.tomtarrant.com/images/green.jpg

its very close to what I think I could be happy with, the only thing is I'm wondering how it would look with dark floors/lighter furniture, as opposed to with lighter colored floors.
Yes, it is very much along those lines. Greens bring out the warmth in any woodwork I think. I think it would be lovely in your condo with what you are planning on doing. It would also coordinate with the lavender in your other rooms.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, it is very much along those lines. Greens bring out the warmth in any woodwork I think. I think it would be lovely in your condo with what you are planning on doing. It would also coordinate with the lavender in your other rooms.
This sounds like a great plan. Im going to check out a local store on Saturday that sells Benjamin Moore paint. Really love that color - I used frazee paint for the lavender color due to the amazing discount I get there through work, and I can see what a mistake that was.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM

So I had another thought this morning - not sure if this would work.

With this piece coming that is actually matches the bedroom set I bought a few years ago:

ethanallen.com - tango door chest | ethan allen | furniture | interior design

If I put the piece in the photo here in the living room to use as my tv stand and for extra storage, would it look too much like I'm putting bedroom furniture in the living room? Or do you think they can be accessorized so that it gives the two pieces more of a media room look, rather than a bedroom look, and then build the rest of the room around this style?
Attached Thumbnails
I hate my living room-tvstand.jpg  

Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
So I had another thought this morning - not sure if this would work.

With this piece coming that is actually matches the bedroom set I bought a few years ago:

ethanallen.com - tango door chest | ethan allen | furniture | interior design

If I put the piece in the photo here in the living room to use as my tv stand and for extra storage, would it look too much like I'm putting bedroom furniture in the living room? Or do you think they can be accessorized so that it gives the two pieces more of a media room look, rather than a bedroom look, and then build the rest of the room around this style?
That piece would look too much like putting bedroom furniture in the living room . Along with that, you will be frustrated with the lack of functionality when used as a TV stand. Where would you put your cable box, DVD player, etc. Sure the drawers would be nice to hold your videos, etc. but the rest of that just won't work the way you will want it to and you will be even more frustrated with it then what you have now. Again, make sure when you visit the stores that you ask to see the catalogs for the various collections. Often other pieces are in there that the store doesn't have in stock.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Burbank, on the dresser, I kinda thought you were maybe gonna go with the older wooden stereo cabinet as a kind of focal point, with your equally brown recliner next to it. While white is okay in the LR since you like it a lot, seems to me you could just use the record shelf you had there but just turned against the wall. But I don't think I ever got an update on what layout you went with. Just wanting to catch up with you. I was the one who thought you should simply turn that couch around to face where you had the stereo in front of the fireplace, put down your chosen rug, and everything else would fall into place. Oh, and the rug you originally chose, it has some greens in it you could pick up on! GG

Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I don't think it will look like bedroom furniture. There are many chests of drawers for other areas of the house. There are even chest of drawers tv stands. The fact it already goes with other piece is a big plus. I can be worked into the room very well if you select all of your other pieces and fabrics wisely.

But I agree that it won't be functional. Once again you'll be running into "where do the wires go" "where do I put the cable box." It could work if you had your carpenter friend change the drawers to shelves and convert the drawer fronts to doors on hinges. That would be pretty cool actually.

Is it wide enough for your TV or will the TV extend off the sides of it? If it's not wide enough, don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating