Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Put the rug in the basement too. It looks like you left your laundry onthe floor.

I look at that rug and picture a pot smoke filled living room with Bob Marley playing in the background.

Maybe you do need a decorator. Do you have any woemen or gay friends that you cna take shopping?

BTW you do not need to replace it all at once unless oyu buy used and have only one chance at a matching set. If you buy new, you can get ne piece at a time.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM

252 posts, read 387,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Put the rug in the basement too. It looks like you left your laundry onthe floor.

I look at that rug and picture a pot smoke filled living room with Bob Marley playing in the background.

Maybe you do need a decorator. Do you have any woemen or gay friends that you cna take shopping?

BTW you do not need to replace it all at once unless oyu buy used and have only one chance at a matching set. If you buy new, you can get ne piece at a time.

Good Luck.
I don't have a basement, this is a condo. I'm actually going for a more modern, colorful look, I will take your suggestions into account.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Dont mean to be mean. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you do not want to bring dates into that room. It needs everything replaced. (Keep the retro electronics, they are neat. However you may find that you do not need so many compenents to get the look and sound you are going for.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Rofl, Wilson!
Honestly, there isnt any connection with any of the pieces.
Every piece of wood in the room is a different color and style.
Rugs, yes!!!!!
OP, may I ask a few questions that will help me give advice?
Do you have any particular style you favor?
Such as contemporary, traditional, etc?
Favorite colors?
Artists?
Knowing the answers to these will help a great deal in sorting you out.
The space can be great, you just have waaaaaay too much going on in there.
BTW, the rug you ordered?
Send it back, its never, ever going to work for you.
Sure, here are my answers:

Favorite colors - purple, pastels, pins, etc. The entire condo has lavendar walls with white crown moulding. I'm not 100% opposed to rethinking the color of the living room, but I do really like the lavendar color throughout the unit.

Artists - I really don't have any

My preference is french country with a modern flair - not sure if that really makes sense. I've been gravitating towards white furniture with that country-ish feel as I buy new pieces.

I do want to point out,I am aware that my current furniture for the most part is awful. It's a mish mash of what I have been able to afford over various stages of my life,a lot of it is odds and ends from furniture closeouts and craigslist. So I'm looking to really start over with a more cohesive look that fits my style. I am fully aware that nothing in that room matches or fits together.

I really like lots of colorful pastels, that bring out my personality, I don't like things like oriental rugs or anything of that nature that gives out an older aura. Bright and welcoming is really more my style.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
Sure, here are my answers:

Favorite colors - purple, pastels, pins, etc. The entire condo has lavendar walls with white crown moulding. I'm not 100% opposed to rethinking the color of the living room, but I do really like the lavendar color throughout the unit.

Artists - I really don't have any

My preference is french country with a modern flair - not sure if that really makes sense. I've been gravitating towards white furniture with that country-ish feel as I buy new pieces.

I do want to point out,I am aware that my current furniture for the most part is awful. It's a mish mash of what I have been able to afford over various stages of my life,a lot of it is odds and ends from furniture closeouts and craigslist. So I'm looking to really start over with a more cohesive look that fits my style. I am fully aware that nothing in that room matches or fits together.

I really like lots of colorful pastels, that bring out my personality, I don't like things like oriental rugs or anything of that nature that gives out an older aura. Bright and welcoming is really more my style.
Ok, got it.....I think.
One thing, you say you like French country, but then you say you dont like traditional, French country uses traditional shapes, furniture-wise.
Could you post a pic of something that you look upon as French country?
I am going to cook dinner and ponder suggesting what suggest you might do.
Will be back in about an hour.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Dont mean to be mean. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you do not want to bring dates into that room. It needs everything replaced. (Keep the retro electronics, they are neat. However you may find that you do not need so many compenents to get the look and sound you are going for.
No worries, I have no issues with starting from scratch for the most part, I just need to take my personal style into consideration here. There is no question that the room is not working, my main concern is how to make it look put together while still being functional for my needs, and taking my personal tastes into consideration.

There is nothing about that room that I don't hate right now. Even the new desk I bought that I actually do like is feeling displaced because the whole room is a mishmash of crap.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ok, got it.....I think.
One thing, you say you like French country, but then you say you dont like traditional, French country uses traditional shapes, furniture-wise.
Could you post a pic of something that you look upon as French country?
I am going to cook dinner and ponder suggesting what suggest you might do.
Will be back in about an hour.
Okay I may not being using the right words, sorry. If you look at the bedroom furniture in the photos that I have in dropbox, the way they have that off white but feel almost country style, that's something I gravitate towards. I also found this link to an insanely expensive piece from Ethan Allen that I really like a lot:

ethanallen.com - new country by ethan allen carter dresser | ethan allen | furniture | interior design

Very similar instyle to my bedroom set, which also came from Ethan Allen.

I love the idea of these type of styles of whites, with colorful accents. Does that make more sense?

I would also love french door like coverings or shutters for the patio doors,which is what most of the windows in the living room are, but I know that's a very expensive proposition.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Something along the lines like this for the living room?

ethanallen.com - new country by ethan allen carter dresser | ethan allen | furniture | interior design

I am liking the idea of using that wall for the focus of my stereo and accessories - that could go a great deal in getting rid of clutter, and keeping everything in the same style. And yes,I am very much gravitating towards white, with brighter colors as accent pieces.
Yes, I like that. You have places to put stuff, the things behind the doors don't have to be neat, but you can close the door and your room looks clean. The only thing is, you have those built-ins at the other end of the room that are white. Make sure whatever you get is close to that color as well. If you put something in there that is more off white, it will look dirty. I think that piece in general is good though. Does it coordinate with your desk though?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, I like that. You have places to put stuff, the things behind the doors don't have to be neat, but you can close the door and your room looks clean. The only thing is, you have those built-ins at the other end of the room that are white. Make sure whatever you get is close to that color as well. If you put something in there that is more off white, it will look dirty. I think that piece in general is good though. Does it coordinate with your desk though?
I think it may be worth going in person to see,t here is an Ethan Allen about a half hour away from me, which is where i bought all my bedroom furniture.

This is however a very expensive piece so I need to be 100% sure that it will work - it needs to be ivory white, which is the color of my build in unit, and the color of my new desk that is in the photo.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
I think it may be worth going in person to see,t here is an Ethan Allen about a half hour away from me, which is where i bought all my bedroom furniture.

This is however a very expensive piece so I need to be 100% sure that it will work - it needs to be ivory white, which is the color of my build in unit, and the color of my new desk that is in the photo.
Can you bring a shelf from the built in with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating