U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 AM

4,234 posts, read 3,937,886 times
Default question about area rugs on hardwood floors

This might be a REALLY silly question, but I have always lived in places with wall-to-wall carpeting (including my current house, which I own) so I just don't know the answer. I may be moving to a house with hardwood floors in many rooms (living room, dining room, master bedroom). The living room is about 14' by 24' and I think I would probably have 3 "zones": one with a sofa & chairs around the fireplace (which is centered on the long exterior wall), one at the end with an upright piano and 2 small end tables on either side for piano music etc., and one at the other end with a small table/2 chairs (might be a "chess area" since I want to keep my chess set out so I will play more!).

Here are my questions for all the decorators out there!
- Should all of the furniture in the different "zones" fit completely on top of the area rug in that "zone"? That would mean I would need a HUGE rug for the area around the fireplace (or maybe 2 of the same rugs side by side?).
- I assume it's fine if the rugs in the 3 "zones" don't totally match -- I don't particularly like it when everything matches everywhere. (I try to make things "fit" without looking matchy by using color in accessories.)
- FYI, in my current house I have a 5' runner underneath the piano (on top of the carpet). The piano seat when pushed in basically fits too. I think it looks fine so I am wondering if a runner (maybe the same one) would work fine for the piano/chess areas on either end of the room.
- In the dining room, should the area rug fit completely under the table when all the chairs are pushed in? when they're out? (I have a rectangular table about 42" by 66" with 6 chairs including 1 on either end.)
- Are there basic design "rules" for area rugs on hardwood floors -- i.e., how furniture should "fit" on them/around them?

My own taste is pretty much country-style although with as little clutter as possible. I really hate "modern" design -- it looks very cold to me although I know many people love it.

Thanks in advance!

-Karen in New Hampshire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,064,034 times
Karen this was all new to me swell. I know there is formula for the size of your DR rug, google it. Basically you want diners to be able to scoot there chair in and out without catching on the edge of the rug. Also, consider your traffic pattern. We had to go a bit larger because the path through the rug edge would have been been a trip hazard.

I have seen area rugs done many ways but I think that having a rug ringed by furniture looks wrong. IMO furniture should be anchored on the rug even if it is only the front two legs.

I agree with your concept on not being matchy matchy. We have a living room with an adjoining dining room and I went with different rugs that a share one of the colors. I also wanted both geometric as opposed to different patterns but I can see mixing those two aspects as long as they were in the samecolorfamily and tone.

Shopping for rugs online will keep you busy for hours. Our area has few shopping choices and I was able to mail order two rather large rugs at a good price. Let me know if you want the website.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,937,886 times
Talloolla, thanks for the reply! I have found some info online but was glad to hear your real-life experiences as I find them more valuable than "guidelines."

I have been looking at rugs online ... have seen some I like but of course those tend to be the most expensive.

Do you have hardwood floors in your master bedroom as well? Many of the bedrooms in the new-to-me house are carpeted, but the master bedroom has hardwood. Not sure I like that as I don't wear socks to bed and always need to get up at least once. Maybe that's the room I will buy a whole-room rug for, although it's huge (14x25) so I don't know if I will be able to find one.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:16 PM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
The area rug rule, either all of the furniture on the rug or all of it off, none of this half way stuff. (Coffee table excluded). Without pictures it's hard to say but I think for a room that size 3 area rugs would be way too much. For sure the piano area doesn't need an area rug and probably not the chess area either. You will want to buy a lot of felt protector pads for furniture and probably those square rubber pad things for the piano feet. If the room would look ok with 3 rugs, not do not get 3 of the same.

I agree with the dining room rule, pull your chairs away from the table a comfortable distance for getting in and out of them and see how big you need to go. I think the average is 2 feet extra all the way around. One other thing to consider with a dining room area rug, and this is my personal preference really, don't get one that is really thick. It makes it harder to move your chairs around.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,064,034 times
Our bedroom is a large rectangle, wood flooring with the windows and sitting area on one short side and the bed on the opposite side. That was a first room I wanted covered because we moved in the winter but I could not find anything I liked that I could afford. Rugs are so expensive!!! I went to a flooring store and picked out a wall to wall remnant and had them bind it. It is an odd size....I think 11 x 14 but it defines the sitting area and stops at the foot of the bed. I have two runners on either side of the beds that I found at TJ Maxx that I think are really meant for the bath but don't look it and the carpet is a cream berber . My first thought is that it was too plain, but I used a lot pattern around the room and am very happy with it now. I think the carpet including binding was around $300.00 and it has held up well.

The online store I purchased the others from actually do a price suggestion on most items. I searched the online for the lowest possible price I could find and offered 10% less and made sure I was ordering during a free shipping sale. I am very happy with the price and the service.

I will make one more suggestion that was given to me when I was looking for a dining room rug. That is to avoid a solid color around the seating. Look for a pattern or a heather that will hide the crumbs or you will be vacuuming all the time. Good luck .

Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 PM

5,239 posts, read 11,313,735 times
Other than the dining room rule about rugs, I would say that rules are made to be broken :-)...I always place my furniture first and have a look - sometimes you may think you want a big area rug that goes under your couch when in reality, you just need a 5 x 7 that goes under the coffee table. Place your furniture, stand back and see where you think a rug would look best....works for me.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM

12,136 posts, read 11,325,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Other than the dining room rule about rugs, I would say that rules are made to be broken :-)...I always place my furniture first and have a look - sometimes you may think you want a big area rug that goes under your couch when in reality, you just need a 5 x 7 that goes under the coffee table. Place your furniture, stand back and see where you think a rug would look best....works for me.
I went with this idea, I placed all the furniture, then I used my "eye" to see where I wanted the rug to be placed. Since I was custom sizing it, I just got out my trusty measuring tape and was good to go.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM

5,239 posts, read 11,313,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I went with this idea, I placed all the furniture, then I used my "eye" to see where I wanted the rug to be placed. Since I was custom sizing it, I just got out my trusty measuring tape and was good to go.
Cool! Works for me too.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 PM

11,767 posts, read 8,696,388 times
if you're really stuck - and you have an ethan allen nearby - go there, schedule a design appointment, have them come out to your home, and have them design a plan for you. they'll recommend area rugs, furniture, etc. you don't have to buy. you'll get some good ideas on area rugs. the one i have in my living room is currently too large.

and yes - they can get very expensive. but they almost always go on sale so be patient

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM

11,767 posts, read 8,696,388 times
also - don't get area rugs because you think you're supposed to. my mom has hardwood throughout and not a single rug. it's awesome. i love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating