U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 18,337 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I purchased my house a year ago, and when we first moved in I went with SW biscuit, very light but I afraid because of the openness of my floor plan, so I went with it, a year later and tons of moldings later, I'm in search of a color that would bring the wood moldings out along with flowing right in my other rooms. The family room along with the formal living and dining room is all visible. I don't want to go to dark, but I nice color that looks good with bronze, deep golds and reds.
I don't have a carpet runner on my steps yet, but will be going with darker browns and reds there, and lighter on the walls. I want to stay in lighter browns, taupes, golds...no yellow. Any help would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0014.jpg   Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0001.jpg   Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0004.jpg   Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0009.jpg   Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0012.jpg  

Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0011.jpg   Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0007.jpg   Help with Paint in a 2-story foyer with an open floor plan-dsc_0006.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM

917 posts, read 3,070,401 times
Beautiful home. Here are some ideas: Fiery Sunset

Do you mind showing a photo of some of your furniture in the living room -- if that is what you are sticking with. Your style can impact the choice of color as well. The home itself is traditional colonial? I'm assuming your style is fairly traditional as well.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,780,238 times
We need to see pictures of your family room furniture, curtains and rugs.

Whatever you paint the hall, you're going to have to paint the family room because they share the same wall on the second staircase.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 18,337 times
My family room is fairly tradition, I will post some photos tomorrow. Thank you very much!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,780,238 times
Great! We need to see the colors of you furniture and such so we can advise on a paint color that will go well with the family room.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM

14,421 posts, read 54,617,765 times
That place must see some really wild parties(?)

hint: disco mirror ball.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,880,108 times
On that same page TheWayISeeThings gave you, click on "Naturally Neutral," and have a look down the first column where it says "Bare Essence." But in general I'm thinking of an ivory, only of course darker than what's up on most of your walls now.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 AM

4,950 posts, read 6,702,899 times
You're also kind of locked-in to something that will not clash with the deep gold that's on your LR and (DR?) walls. They're the first thing you see peripherally if you're coming into the foyer and looking at the staircase. So if you choose a mid-tone brown, go with a warm color and not too much gray like taupe.

I had a house with a LR/DR that opened up into a two-story FR, so I had to go with the same color throughout, like you. I did a soft (what I thought was) medium taupe called Cafe Latte or something like that. The problem is, it didn't have enough contrast with the carpet or the white woodwork, so it just looked like beige on the walls....hardly like I had any color on there. In the house I'm in now, I picked a color in the middle of the five-color sample. I was REALLY afraid it would be too dark (everything looks too dark when you paint a swatch on a white wall) and my instinct was telling me to go safe and pick the lighter color above, but I'm TOTALLY happy with the result. It really makes my white woodwork pop.

BTW, your home is GORGEOUS!!! Look forward to your furniture pics.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 PM

33 posts, read 83,610 times
Avalon08 what was the color that you used? I was thinking Shaker Beige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating