U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,898,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Those are definitely nice too! I guess one of the things I like about a little bit darker rug under a table, especially if it's painted a light color, is that you have that wonderful contrast of dark to light. Also, at least in our home, a light colored rug under the dining room table would be a disaster! We rarely take our shoes off in the house either, so light colored area rugs are never a good idea around here. LOL
But dark colors won't go with the OP's french country style. It's simple, light and bright look. The tan/brown silk curtains she likes will only look good with a light green carpet that has a touch of the brown in it. She also likes the breezy look of sheers so a dark carpet would be too heavy for that look if she goes the sheer direction.

She can go bright, but not dark. French country is light and bright, not dark. If there is dark, it's accents, not a huge piece like a rug. Since her colors are green, blue and that tan/gold/brown she likes, bright would be better as accents since she likes grey blues and grey greens which aren't very bright and can be too dark. That's why lighter shade of the colors she likes is important.

I see a room with the lighter green color rugs I recommended with either curtain style (still need to see her windows), and big tan/cream plaid on the side chairs and green/cream demask on the armchairs, with pops of brighter colors here and there. I'm basing all of this off of the specific things she liked about the example pictures. She looked at the pictures and said "I like this, this, this and this" about the rooms. Not once did she like something dark, heavy for busy in the pictures.

OP, the reason I need to see your windows is because french country is all about the windows being show with the curtains open, not covered completely with curtains. I realize you want privacy so I have a few ideas on how you can achieve privacy without curtains completely covering your windows from ceiling to floor. You can still use the long curtains open on the sides, like in the pictures. I just realize that we need to take into consideration that you want privacy. The curtains we've discussed will look wrong if they are closed, even if they are sheers that are closed. But I have an idea that will work well. That's why I need to see your windows first.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,898,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
All the rugs above look nice. Thanks for those links. I really have to see it in person especially with greens. We have a carpet store around here and they sell persians so I'll check there.

Hopefully, I'll find THE one.

The rug in the basement wouldn't work up here. It's almost like a teal color and there are other brighter colors in it.. it has purple in it too.
I had it in my family room downstairs.
I'm looking for more of a subdued carpet for up here.
Don't get frustrated if you can't find it. We can change our direction and go with a simple single color rug, like in most of the pictures. Then we'd have to go with a pattern on the curtain fabric. It would just take you a different direction but it would stay within what you liked about the other pictures. But I just know you love the idea of having a fantastic carpet you just love. There's no reason to give up the hunt yet. Just know there are other solutions so you don't feel stressed while you're looking.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM

19,895 posts, read 16,760,526 times
Well we have all cherry furniture, or distressed cherry which i love. Also some accent pieces in the distressed black and brown finishes.

I had a set very similar to yours, and like you, cannot stand the oak anymore, too 80's looking for me now.

When we had some remodeling done, the gentlemen who made custom cabinets for me, said my oak set was in great condition, but was dated, and that he could make it look like new.

I do not know what products he used, but we did it in the new chocolate brown color, and put new hardware on it, he also distressed it a bit, it looks brand new.

Everyone thinks i bought a new set, and my husband upholstered our chairs with a very study good looking material, they look new, he also made a back for the rattan back the chairs look so different, i can hardly believe it.

I would go with a color of your choice, or a different stain, which yes the oak can be stained a different color. My husband is now into making and staining furniture, and distressing it.

There is a product out there, where you do not have to sand the oak, do not know what the first caibinet maker used, but he did not have to sand the oak set. Tell ya it looks brand new, and totally up to date.
I would start asking questions online, as to what products to use, and also how long the whole process will take. My set was only gone a week, not long for a hutch a bit bigger then yours, a table and 6 chairs.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:55 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,679,265 times
I'd love to find out what the cabinet maker used on your set. I'll keep searching for that info.
I wonder if your cabinet maker sprayed your dining room set. I've seen videos online where they use painting guns to prime and then spray cabinets. Maybe he did that for your dining room set. I can't think of anything else he might have done that would take so short a time.

Still looking for camera Hopes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating