U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 AM

12,478 posts, read 15,902,019 times

Advertisements

black furniture was out of my comfort zone too. But I took the plunge and LOVE it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
nice site, thanks. There's a few that I like on there. I'm even thinking seriously about doing them in black. Black is so out of my comfort zone though so I really have to get up my nerve to do that.

Went to HD tonight.. and of course they didn't have tinted wax.. they just had the clear so I didn't buy it, BUT right next to the paint section is the carpet section so I had to go check out area rugs.
I bought one that is mostly black and so pretty. Unfortunately, it's too small, but I decided that I'll use it in my office.

I have an old tv cabinet/hutch that we had no idea what to do with, so I'm going to paint that black and put it in there.

That will be my test piece to see if I'm comfortable with black furniture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,676,465 times
I'd love to see a picture of it if you've got one PippyS.

How much black is too much? If I did the dining room set in black, then I'd have to get a black piece in the living room so it looks cohesive.. I'd have the same problem with whatever paint or stain I chose.

How do I get out of the matchy matchy look?

Dining room table, chair and hutch are oak. living room coffee and end tables are oak. Sofa table is oak. Oak chair and sofa legs.. and 5ft oak tv stand thing.

I'm surrounded by a sea of orange oak.

The floors are not oak thank goodness..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,842,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I'd love to see a picture of it if you've got one PippyS.

How much black is too much? If I did the dining room set in black, then I'd have to get a black piece in the living room so it looks cohesive.. I'd have the same problem with whatever paint or stain I chose.

How do I get out of the matchy matchy look?

Dining room table, chair and hutch are oak. living room coffee and end tables are oak. Sofa table is oak. Oak chair and sofa legs.. and 5ft oak tv stand thing.

I'm surrounded by a sea of orange oak.

The floors are not oak thank goodness..
You get out of that matchy matchy look by not thinking that you need to have matching pieces to look cohesive!

btw, I hate oak too. I'm feeling your pain. I won't buy oak furniture or cabinets. If I were surrounded by oak, I'd hate it.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Thanks Hopes.. Your post cracked me up.

I honestly don't know how to achieve the unmatchy look.. I'm so clueless.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:51 PM

First start would be not thinking you need black in the living room if you paint the dining room pieces black.

Ways to get away from matchy matchy:

Paint the chairs and the base of the table, leave the top of the table and the china closet natural wood.

Paint the chairs and not the table.

Not having your window treatments and the fabric on your chairs the same or similar patterns and colors also helps.

Last edited by Hopes; 01-29-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Let's look at pictures of French Country dining rooms for inspiration!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Notice how the curtains are floral and the chair fabric is plaid.

Notice how the color of the wood on the top of the table is different from the wood on the base of the table and the chairs.

Notice the island is dark blue. No other furniture is dark blue. It is just carried over from the blue in the fabrics.

I think the big problem is that your fabric for your window treatments and chairs are more "country" than "french country."

Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM

oh.. The curtains that are up in the picture you saw are just there because we put new windows in and the neighbors could see right in. I felt like I was living in a fishbowl.
They're not permanent. I'm buying new non floral window coverings when I figure out where I'm going as far as colors go.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Are you totally attached to the pink/green floral on the chairs?

It just doesn't seem like a good material for a French Country set.

What colors do you like?

Brainstorm.

Go through google images and post pictures here of living rooms and dining rooms you like that aren't matchy matchy.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM

omg, no. I hate the fabric on the chairs. It's going.

Brass chandelier is going too. In the meantime I picked up a can of Painters Touch Old World Bronze and painted the brass chandelier and it doesn't look half bad now, but it's still going.

I'm actually thinking brown or a light brown for the upholstery. Maybe checks? But no florals.

The wall color is going too but I don't know what color to do yet. I can't really get a dark brown wall color because the foyer is painted brown.

I'm looking at Houzz right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating