Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I did a rough plaster look......I got the split area with the shower and toilet done, gonna work on the other area today.

is that similar to venetian plaster?

what color are you going to then paint it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
This is a great thread! Don't forget to post your before-and-after pics.

I don't know how to post pics here, I will need to take lessons.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
New carpet being installed in bedrooms this Tuesday.

Complete putting bamboo flooring in hall closets.

and....something I really need to have done...figure out how to expand my closet in MB..it
is much too small, it's probably 5 ft long and 3 ft wide, hanging clothes on both side, I can
hardly turn around. Really no way to expand it except to add onto the house...may have to bite
the bullet this year!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
is that similar to venetian plaster?

what color are you going to then paint it?
No.....think of almost a stucco look.
My base color is a custom color, it is the hue of an old red brick faded by age.
Over that I am doing an ocher wash, and then ragging most of it off, so the ocher is caught in the nooks and crannies of the plaster, with the base color visible.
If it turns out well I will post pics.....if not, I am gonna re-paint.
I havent done this particular faux in a long time, but its a great look when one has no architecture to speak of.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No.....think of almost a stucco look.
My base color is a custom color, it is the hue of an old red brick faded by age.
Over that I am doing an ocher wash, and then ragging most of it off, so the ocher is caught in the nooks and crannies of the plaster, with the base color visible.
If it turns out well I will post pics.....if not, I am gonna re-paint.
I havent done this particular faux in a long time, but its a great look when one has no architecture to speak of.
Oh OK, I know stucco. But did you make it pointy stucco or flat like?, I am betting you did flat like but with all the indentations and such, ....lets see how good I am. LOL...

It sounds nice, almost like a faded terra cotter look. I like that old world look. I hope it comes out good and you like it.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Oh OK, I know stucco. But did you make it pointy stucco or flat like?, I am betting you did flat like but with all the indentations and such, ....lets see how good I am. LOL...

It sounds nice, almost like a faded terra cotter look. I like that old world look. I hope it comes out good and you like it.
You nailed it all the way!
I hope I like it, too, I am my own worst critic.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
WOW. What a great thread! I'm anxious to see how everyone's projects work out.

In the past three years, I've done so much (hardiplank exterior, all new paint inside and out, all new flooring throughout, all new kitchen, all new bathrooms, new fencing, new paver patio as large as the house itself, new wiring, new fuse box/circuit breaker panel, new a/c, new vinyl windows, replaced sliding glass door with french doors, replaced all ceiling fans) that my 2012 projects are minor by comparison:

Improving Attic Ventilation (not sure which method to use yet)
Installing Attic Tent
Garage Floor Epoxy Coating

I'm sure there will be other projects but that's all I have on the list for now.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Finally got done with my master bath just now, I still have to hang the mirror over the sink, but its done, yay!!!!
Will try to take some pix and post.....the one thing I dont have is a wide angle lens, so I dont know if the pics will turn out.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Refinishing (powerwash, deep scrub, clean via chemical / special detergent & stain etc.) my deck (42 ft x 15ft)... that'll be the first thing this spring... prepping for a deck family gathering party.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 PM

update on my foyer project.

I went with wallpaper to give it a "wow" factor when you first walk in.

The paper is outside leaves and tree like things all done in shades of golds and creams and the background is the darkest brown there could be.It is a very busy pattern.
I have a side table that is distressed black with mirror over it. A mini black crystal chandelier is hanging in the middle of the foyer, the trim around the doors and baseboard is painted the color of the background in the paper. the doors are wooden brown so they didn't need to be changed, and look fine.

I have dark brown parquet floors and a now I have to get an area rug. I was thinking of a leopard print because it is the colors of the wallpaper, plus it looks outsid-ee, and so does leopard. I would have chose a lighter color but since it is the only entrance into the apartment I need something darker and with a pattern so it won't have to be cleaned by the ext week.

It sounds very dark, but other than the front door there is open door to kitchen on one wall and another open entry to the Living Room, so there is more than enough light in there.

The living room is painted river rock gold and the kitchen is painted a different shade of a goldish to peachish color so the wallpaper matches both rooms, so there is some sort of flow, as opposed to completely different colors.

I am happy with the look, the solid painted walls looked so boring, especially since I removed all the 90's mirror strips from all the walls, and the ugly ice cycle chandelier...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating