U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-11-2012, 10:57 PM

15 posts, read 37,812 times
Default Used, Aesthetically Pleasing Butchers Block?

As the title suggests, I'm looking to secure butchers block that's used and looks aesthetically pleasing.

I saw a (n extremely overpriced) table in a boutique, fashion furniture store nearby and it used salvaged butchers block as the tabletop and it looked fantastic and I'd like to replicate that.

Any ideas where I could source this kind of material?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-12-2012, 08:08 AM

23,444 posts, read 15,782,710 times
An architectural salvage place would be your best bet.

Unread 02-12-2012, 08:49 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,366,606 times
Try contacting meat cutting/butcher's businesses, and see what they have. Or they might have suggestions where to secure it. Maybe you could get newish butcher block and distress it? Not the same look but could work. Also, ask around local kitchens, restaurants, and check kitchen suppliers, etc.

Of course, with wood, it harbors alot of bacteria so whatever you get, make sure you sanitize it somehow and re-seal it.

Another idea I saw recently was having the kitchen (looking regular) and a genuine butcher block used like an island in the middle--smaller, almost square like but the kitchen wasn't big either. Looked pretty cool though because it was really thick.

Good luck!

Unread 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM

23,444 posts, read 15,782,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Try contacting meat cutting/butcher's businesses, and see what they have. Or they might have suggestions where to secure it. Maybe you could get newish butcher block and distress it? Not the same look but could work. Also, ask around local kitchens, restaurants, and check kitchen suppliers, etc.

Of course, with wood, it harbors alot of bacteria so whatever you get, make sure you sanitize it somehow and re-seal it.

Another idea I saw recently was having the kitchen (looking regular) and a genuine butcher block used like an island in the middle--smaller, almost square like but the kitchen wasn't big either. Looked pretty cool though because it was really thick.

Good luck!
You never, ever seal butchers block!
Butcher Block Care and Maintenance (http://www.thebutcherblocktop.com/bublca.html - broken link)

Unread 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM

157 posts, read 209,358 times
It's not used, but butcher block counter tops are pretty cheap.

Unread 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,334,180 times
You might want to look at either craigslist or second hand places for an older table, one that is made the same way as a butcher block. You can salvage it yourself. We lucked upon a rectangular table (for free), which had a "butcher block top". We stripped & sanded down the surface, which had some damage anyway, then built a base with locking casters for it. It is now our movable kitchen island and we LOVE it. We use butcher block conditioner on it. You never want to "seal it", but rather condition it. Also, we NEVER prepare meats on the butcher block, not even with a cutting board. We place our large non-wooden cutting board on an entirely different counter for that prep work!

We recently purchased another amazing table that needed some work, for $20, from an online 2nd hand site. It is made of the same "butcher block/laminated wood" type materials. We stripped it down and refinished it as a table. They're out there and if you're looking for "distressed" butcher block, how can you go wrong with a beat up table that you can strip down and "condition" for your butcher block?

Unread 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,366,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You never, ever seal butchers block!
Thanks for the correction. I am mistaken with the material I once saw. I had a neighbor who had a butcher block countertop but it was probably something else like a butcher-block look or wood-blend (it was wood though). It was definitely finished with something as it had a satin-like finish. They never cut directly on top of it and used cutting boards on top of the counter.

It was attractive though.

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM

2,402 posts, read 1,560,315 times
Antique malls are a great place to shop.

But if you are into the "Artisan" look
(I have a 3" cherry block custom made in a organic trapeze shape and the edges are left raw to flow with the wood grain pretty unique & real cool looking... a bigger piece & at a less expensive price than WE, Pottery barn would charge selling a more generic look; big plus, made in USA too!)
& do not mind "new" Etsy may have some really nice pieces & the prices are not "marked up" by middleman.

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM

2,402 posts, read 1,560,315 times
^^^For wood butcher block products, maintain it with the "white mineral oil" = food grade mineral oil used by pros in the food industry.
(http://www.chow.com/food-news/54571/...cutting-board/)

Unread 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM

8,205 posts, read 10,133,126 times
Real butcher block is too thick to use easily. Get maple butcher block countertop, cut it to the size you want and put rubber feet on it. I use about three of these in my kitchen (15" x 24") to increase the food prep area when a lot is being done then put two of them away for every day use. Also, sometimes you will see movable dishwashers with a butcher block top. the top can be easily removed and rubber feet added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating