Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM

17 posts, read 31,946 times

Advertisements

So our 'Let put hardwoods in' turn into a complete cosmetic re-design of our house and admittedly I don't have an ounce of 'designer' in me.

We are winding down the paint work and completely stuck on an accent wall color. The current accent color seems ok (at least to me) but it really hides the fire place. In fact a friend who has been over to our house numerous times didn't even know we had a second fireplace..

The main wall color is a light beige and the kitchen is a yellow. I've included pics of the dinning room which is mostly done (blue\grey in color) to show an example of the hardwood color (Strand Bamboo...chocolate color). There is a picture outlined in red...that area is directly facing the fireplace accent wall and will also get the accent color (just the top..not around the door). There a pics with our color choices taped to the wall. At first I really liked the maroon color..but after a couple days of looking at it I'm not sure it would go with the current colors

Any advise on what to do with the wall in general..fireplace..mantel would be awesome. I've tried to take the pics at numerous angles so you can see the ceiling height and other features of the house.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-32-29_185.jpg   Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-32-21_192.jpg   Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-31-36_906.jpg   Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-31-57_646.jpg   Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-32-49_896.jpg  

Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-35-50_578.jpg   Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-38-02_497.jpg   Help Me Chose an Accent Color-10625_1065869305982_1803532143_139383_7484439_n.jpg   Help Me Chose an Accent Color-2012-02-02_06-33-48_280.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,688,518 times
If those were the only choices I had, I'd go with the center sample. It's a deep greenish color, isn't it? Quite the amazing house, but I'd hate to have to paint all of those high surfaces. My personal opinion though?....... that yellow is way too bright, really harsh, at least in pictures. That's the trouble about paints though, what looks great on a drawing or in the store, can really be obnoxious once you put it on a large area.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM

18,326 posts, read 18,917,309 times
what a great house! is the accent wall the one w/the fireplace? are you going to put the flat screen tv over the fireplace? if you do there really isn't much left to show as far as color, so part of what is bothering you now about the look of the wall might not once you have things hung. what about drapes have you thought about what you want there? my other question would be, do you like contrast, something that will pop or prefer something that blend in more? all the colors in the house seem soothing if it were me I would continue that feel and pick a color with the same color intensity and pick up bold color in the drapes, rugs, and accessories. you can use a color wheel for a blend go with the color next to your preferred shade, for a contrast use the color opposite it. with yellow I would pick either the greens, blues or some shade of purple

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM

928 posts, read 3,432,027 times
I'm having trouble understanding these colors together. Can you line up the color samples next to each other and take a picture of it? Its best to do this in indirect sunlight to get the clearest representation in a photo of what the colors look like.

I also was not sure what area's you are intending to put the 4th color. Are you planning to paint the area around the fireplace in a 4th color? Or somewhere else? If around the fireplace, I would avoid reds or red-yellows as it will clash with the mantel.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM

We are actually open to any color..not just whats taped to the wall.

The yellow is a bit aggressive..I actually got a couple of shades lighter than what the wife wanted. That's kinda why I'm rethinking the maroon color. I was kind of in a panic when we started painting as it went on WAY brighter wet...then mellowed out a bit after it dried. Edging the tops of the 19' walls was quite an adventure I will admit.

As far as the house..we took advantage of the market a couple years ago and grabbed it in a foreclosure..we absolutely love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
If those were the only choices I had, I'd go with the center sample. It's a deep greenish color, isn't it? Quite the amazing house, but I'd hate to have to paint all of those high surfaces. My personal opinion though?....... that yellow is way too bright, really harsh, at least in pictures. That's the trouble about paints though, what looks great on a drawing or in the store, can really be obnoxious once you put it on a large area.

Last edited by MonsterBash; 02-02-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Yes.. the wall with the fireplace is the accent wall..and the wall highlighted in red. I'm a little scared of picking something that 'pops' as I think we already have that with the kitchen. We do plan on hanging a 60" LCD over the fireplace. Drapes haven't been considered yet but I think I see where you are going with this. Keep the accent wall a mellow color and hit it was brightly colored accessories (drapes, pictures etc)

I'm wondering if the color there already...maybe a tad lighter would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what a great house! is the accent wall the one w/the fireplace? are you going to put the flat screen tv over the fireplace? if you do there really isn't much left to show as far as color, so part of what is bothering you now about the look of the wall might not once you have things hung. what about drapes have you thought about what you want there? my other question would be, do you like contrast, something that will pop or prefer something that blend in more? all the colors in the house seem soothing if it were me I would continue that feel and pick a color with the same color intensity and pick up bold color in the drapes, rugs, and accessories. you can use a color wheel for a blend go with the color next to your preferred shade, for a contrast use the color opposite it. with yellow I would pick either the greens, blues or some shade of purple

Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM

Yes...the fireplace wall and the red outlined wall which is directly opposite the fireplace wall

Funny..the thought the maroon (top color) actually pulled the red out of the wall color (the light beige color that they are taped to) and I thought it looked good. I didn't even consider the mantel.

I'll get better pictured of the colors when I get home from work..we definitely aren't committed to using any of the 3 we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I'm having trouble understanding these colors together. Can you line up the color samples next to each other and take a picture of it? Its best to do this in indirect sunlight to get the clearest representation in a photo of what the colors look like.

I also was not sure what area's you are intending to put the 4th color. Are you planning to paint the area around the fireplace in a 4th color? Or somewhere else? If around the fireplace, I would avoid reds or red-yellows as it will clash with the mantel.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,688,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBash View Post
Yes.. the wall with the fireplace is the accent wall..and the wall highlighted in red. I'm a little scared of picking something that 'pops' as I think we already have that with the kitchen. We do plan on hanging a 60" LCD over the fireplace. Drapes haven't been considered yet but I think I see where you are going with this. Keep the accent wall a mellow color and hit it was brightly colored accessories (drapes, pictures etc)

I'm wondering if the color there already...maybe a tad lighter would work?
Now I think you're on to something. Your colors almost seem to clash, and I think that's the problem. If you go right off of the sample chart, which includes your main living room wall color, but choose deeper or lighter, IN the same family, you'll be okay. If you have a lot of the main color left, you can actually tint it yourself....add a tiny bit of black to deepen, bright white to lighten. Your yellow though...if you look at it, on the wall where it meets your living room wall color, it clashes like crazy.

Personally, I'd stay more "neutral". It might seem a little plain at first, but once you get your accessories in there, it's going to be beautiful. BTW, kudos to you on your find. It really is a great house, but yeah........cutting in on 19' ceilings, what an adventure. I've done it for others in their houses and I do NOT like it. Incidentally, any time I'm going to paint, I do a rough sketch, then make several copies of those sketches. I color them, in order to see (on paper), what it's going to look like. There's nothing like snapshots or still images, to make you realize just how harsh or off something looks.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM

So what do you suggest I do with the kitchen (the yellow)? Everything is still masked up and torn apart..it probably wouldn't take me more than a few hours to change the color. I'm certainly NOT painting the main color again (the light beige). Would a lighter yellow do better or is it just the color in general?

Obviously I have no eye for this stuff at all...cuz I really don't have a big issue with the yellow clashing. I should probably clearify that the yellow is the eating kitchen..and kitchen color. I personally wanted to paint the eat in kitched the same beige as the rest of the place...and then just the kitchen yellow..but I got overruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Now I think you're on to something. Your colors almost seem to clash, and I think that's the problem. If you go right off of the sample chart, which includes your main living room wall color, but choose deeper or lighter, IN the same family, you'll be okay. If you have a lot of the main color left, you can actually tint it yourself....add a tiny bit of black to deepen, bright white to lighten. Your yellow though...if you look at it, on the wall where it meets your living room wall color, it clashes like crazy.

Personally, I'd stay more "neutral". It might seem a little plain at first, but once you get your accessories in there, it's going to be beautiful. BTW, kudos to you on your find. It really is a great house, but yeah........cutting in on 19' ceilings, what an adventure. I've done it for others in their houses and I do NOT like it. Incidentally, any time I'm going to paint, I do a rough sketch, then make several copies of those sketches. I color them, in order to see (on paper), what it's going to look like. There's nothing like snapshots or still images, to make you realize just how harsh or off something looks.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM

18,326 posts, read 18,917,309 times
what a killer house buy congrats. so the fireplace wall above the picture has the window in it too? very cool. I think the color there now is fine and would work well. it isn't the most "exciting" but it is neutral and again once you have the tv up there it will not be so much of an issue.

I love the subtle of all your colors. take it slow and live with what you have while you search out the rest of what you need. that way you can think about the entire room. you may find when you go to buy drapes sometimes what you thought you wanted is either out of stock or you find something unexpected that you buy, or your budget makes you take your second choice. making your design plan fly out the window a bit. it is all a work in progress and you make adjustments as you go.

start getting the other stuff together. hang some drapes, set your furniture then step back and look at the focal wall again. does it need more color?

same thing w/the yellow. yes it is bright yellow but once you put up pictures, drapes it will warm up. I think it will be fine in the kitchen with the right drapes. the entry too should work with some drapery. you want something cheery and alive when you walk in the door. the kitchen is also a place where you can be more bold with color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating