U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 AM

568 posts, read 626,444 times
Default Need a beautiful blue!

We are remodeling and I wanted a pretty blue gray for the formal dining and 1/2 bath. I chose a Valspar color called Moon sail. Good thing I started on the bath first. When my boys got in from school they exclaimed..OMG..you painted the bathroom purple. It definately looks lavender. Any recomendations? The only options locally are Lowe's and Benjamin Moore. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 AM

9,924 posts, read 11,163,259 times
I am partial to BM Bright and Early and BM Denim Wash.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM

13,939 posts, read 8,065,978 times
Ask for Panama Blue and see if you like it or go with white or an off white and add color with towels, curtains and such.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM

861 posts, read 1,983,573 times
My brother recently painted his dining room Nimbus Gray by BM. I haven't seen it in person, but he is really happy with it. (It looks more blue than gray in the photos)

Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,203,892 times
Someone here posted a picture of a lovely blue called Nantucket Blue from Benjamin Moore that they used in their bathroom.

Remodeling bathroom - choosing colors

It's in the above thread.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM

29,990 posts, read 18,675,335 times
from Benjamin Moore:

Oxford Gray (2128-40)
Instinct (AF-575)
November Skies (2128-50)
Manor Blue (1627)

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-15-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 11:55 AM

613 posts, read 1,128,876 times
I also like the HC-164 Puritan Grey
puritan gray HC-164 Paint - Benjamin Moore puritan gray Paint Color Details

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM

2,621 posts, read 2,348,396 times
Just did a guest room with Valspar Blue Skylights. I did however, use Benjamin Moore paint and they color matched perfectly for me.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM

613 posts, read 1,128,876 times
I took a look at the valspar color on my PC and it looks pretty blue. So the reason it reads a purple in your bathroom has to do with the type of lighting you use in there.

I'm going to share some light geek information with you. If you already know this, I apologize. I'm sure you are already aware that light has different qualities. Morning and Evening light from the sun casts a warm glow, will bright daytime light and cloudy light cast a cooler, bluer wash to everything. The thing that determines this is called light temperature or Kelvin. In natural daylight, direct mid-day sunlight is about 6500K while morning sun is between 2700-3000K. Compact CFL's run between 3000-3500K. These are much warmer than normal daylight. Tube florescent lighting is 4500K, but it also has the added property of casting a green hue.

Most paint companies photograph and present their paint online in a temperature of around 6000K. But once you bring that sample into your home, the color will be altered by your lighting. If your lighting is warmer, its similar to mixing in some yellow and red pigment into the paint.

So there are two things you can do to combat this. Buy a different paint (most paint departments have a variety of lighting that you can place you sample underneath to view the result before purchasing. OR you can buy different lighting. Many light bulb manufacturers now make daylight adjusted bulbs.

bulbs and

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM

568 posts, read 626,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I took a look at the valspar color on my PC and it looks pretty blue. So the reason it reads a purple in your bathroom has to do with the type of lighting you use in there.

I'm going to share some light geek information with you. If you already know this, I apologize. I'm sure you are already aware that light has different qualities. Morning and Evening light from the sun casts a warm glow, will bright daytime light and cloudy light cast a cooler, bluer wash to everything. The thing that determines this is called light temperature or Kelvin. In natural daylight, direct mid-day sunlight is about 6500K while morning sun is between 2700-3000K. Compact CFL's run between 3000-3500K. These are much warmer than normal daylight. Tube florescent lighting is 4500K, but it also has the added property of casting a green hue.

Most paint companies photograph and present their paint online in a temperature of around 6000K. But once you bring that sample into your home, the color will be altered by your lighting. If your lighting is warmer, its similar to mixing in some yellow and red pigment into the paint.

So there are two things you can do to combat this. Buy a different paint (most paint departments have a variety of lighting that you can place you sample underneath to view the result before purchasing. OR you can buy different lighting. Many light bulb manufacturers now make daylight adjusted bulbs.

bulbs and
Thanks for the info! It does get alot of natural light. There is also a 3 globe vanity light. I will look into replacing the bulbs with daylight. As far as the dining room. I painted a sample of the same paint on the wall and in the evening it looks very lavender..and in the day it looks ice blue. Need to find something warmer. I'm liking the Nimbus gray and the Nantucket Blue so far. There is such a fine line for the perferct color I'm looking for. Love the blue grays!

Thanks everyone..keep 'em coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating