Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM

410 posts, read 742,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000black&gold View Post
Again, pardon my ignorance, but where would I purchase a curtain rod and a curtain large enough to cover such a large area?
You can get curtain rods & curtains anywhere from Target to Home Depot to Bed Bath and Beyond. You can also do a search online. Just make sure you measure the height where you plan to install your curtain rod so you know what size curtains to get. Wide curtain panels may be difficult to find. I have never had to purchase curtains for such a wide area, so you may have to use two panels for each side to make up the width. I would start with a search online (after you measure) to get a better idea.

...A couple of other places you could try are JCPenney & Crate & Barrel.

Last edited by jifwittle; 02-17-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 AM

10 posts, read 16,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
You can get curtain rods & curtains anywhere from Target to Home Depot to Bed Bath and Beyond. You can also do a search online. Just make sure you measure the height where you plan to install your curtain rod so you know what size curtains to get. Wide curtain panels may be difficult to find. I have never had to purchase curtains for such a wide area, so you may have to use two panels for each side to make up the width. I would start with a search online (after you measure) to get a better idea.

...A couple of other places you could try are JCPenney & Crate & Barrel.
Okay sounds good! I just wasn't aware that they sold rods that long. Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
You can buy ceiling mounted rod brackets, so your rod can butt up against your corner. Country Curtains is a good site for oddball curtain hardware, but there are others also.
Just Google Custom Width Curtains, and you'll see a bunch of places to get your drapes. It looks pretty bad to just put 2 or 3 panels together on a rod, so if you can swing custom width panels it will look better.

Last edited by gentlearts; 02-18-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You can buy ceiling mounted rod brackets, so your rod can butt up against your corner. Country Curtains is a good site for oddball curtain hardware, but there are others also.
Just Google Custom Width Curtains, and you'll see a bunch of places to get your drapes. It looks pretty bad to just put 2 or 3 panels together on a rod, so if you can swing custom width panels it will look better.
Okay I'll definitely check that site out, and if I can't find what I'm looking for, I guess I'll Google and go from there! I'm looking forward to getting this done.

Any idea on what color would look good? I currently have a lot of earthy colors going on in the master, particularly black, gold, and tan.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 AM

I would like a nice, textured fabric, like a linen or flax.
Look at the Washed Belgian Linen at the Restoration Hardware website. This is what I picture. They have 100"w panels, too. Kind of expensive, but anything nice usually is.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
First question do you to allow the sunshine in but have privacy or do you want to block out the sun's rays -
Since I see a plant in the corner I'm guessing you want to allow the sun in - Instead of curtains or drapes you can buy a film that is applied to the glass that will allow sun in but allows for privacy - The film comes in a few white type colors that look like rice paper or has a design such as bamboo going through it - It also comes in colors that makes it appear like stained glass windows - You could also do that with the side windows - My other idea would be those roll up matchstick blinds made out of wicker or bamboo type material if privacy isnt an issue - I would buy 2 small ones for the side window and one big one for the slider - Hopefully your slider isnt bigger than 72" as I think thats the largest they come - good luck - ps I'm not really a curtain/drape type person

Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,883 times
Default curtain rods

Decorating Mart in Kennesaw stocks rods up to 144" - it's special order after that.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Pottery Barn- Peyton drapes are on sale.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,408 times
Black and Gold, we can't tell you where to get a curtain rod "that long" when we don't know how long it is! Can you measure the entire wall and tell us the length.

Next, there is no solid wall space available for stack back. If you hang enough drapery panels to cover the whole wall when closed, that is going to be a lot of fabric. When you want the drapes open, the "stacked back" fabric is going to cover almost all of your side windows. If you are ok with that, then go with the idea of covering the whole wall with drapery.

If you want to have the least stack back space possible, you should buy drapes with grommets. The stack back with grommets is probably less than half of the stack back with any other type of drapery.

You will want a decorative rod and they usually come with finials on the ends. Simply remove the finials and let the ends of the rod butt up against the wall.

Since there is no room on the sides for stack back, if you want all of the windows revealed sometimes, then you would have to go with blinds or shades.

So what is the wall measurement and do you care if the windows remain covered even when the drapes are open?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
Black and Gold, we can't tell you where to get a curtain rod "that long" when we don't know how long it is! Can you measure the entire wall and tell us the length.

Next, there is no solid wall space available for stack back. If you hang enough drapery panels to cover the whole wall when closed, that is going to be a lot of fabric. When you want the drapes open, the "stacked back" fabric is going to cover almost all of your side windows. If you are ok with that, then go with the idea of covering the whole wall with drapery.

If you want to have the least stack back space possible, you should buy drapes with grommets. The stack back with grommets is probably less than half of the stack back with any other type of drapery.

You will want a decorative rod and they usually come with finials on the ends. Simply remove the finials and let the ends of the rod butt up against the wall.

Since there is no room on the sides for stack back, if you want all of the windows revealed sometimes, then you would have to go with blinds or shades.

So what is the wall measurement and do you care if the windows remain covered even when the drapes are open?
Thanks for your reply! I measured and from the wall to the end of the window it's 12 feet, or 144 inches.

I'd prefer to have as much of the window revealed as possible, but am open to the idea of having some of it covered to allow for stack back. I'm really just looking for something easy. Right now, if I want to close the room off, I have to slide the blind things over the door, close them, then close both pairs of blinds that cover the windows. It's a bit of a hassle, especially with the current door covering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating