U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM

4,006 posts, read 3,285,495 times
Default daybed/trundle or futon for guest/sewing room? (PICS!)

I am buying a house and will have the luxury of making 1 of the bedrooms into a sewing room. The room is 10'6" by 13' but part of that is a closet (see floor plan). The cabinet by the door is a sewing cabinet (Sauder's craft cabinet -- see photos of it opened/closed). The cabinet near the closet is for a TV/general storage.

This room will only occasionally be used for guests since I already have another guest room. For the seating area, I am thinking of a daybed with trundle OR a full-size futon. (I have a sofabed but it is large and heavy and since the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor, I think it would be hard to move it up there and into the bedroom -- the bedroom door is I think 30" wide!)

The daybed is about 82" wide by 42" deep (that's what I currently have in the floor plan); the futon would be 82" wide by 36" deep, so it would take up slightly less room when used as a sofa (which would be the case most of the time). The futon could sleep 2 since it is full-size; the daybed's trundle could have a mattress (although normally I would just use it for linen storage etc.) and so also sleep 2, although I'm not sure my adult friends/relatives would like sleeping on the floor! I do like the idea of having the trundle for storage, although I have a lot of other closets so it's actually not absolutely needed.

I always thought futons were rather uncomfortable (very hard), but there are new mattresses available now that are more comfortable (like regular or memory-foam mattresses), so I think that shouldn't be an issue any more?

The futon and daybed I am considering are both cottage-style (see photos -- not sure which color daybed I would choose -- other cabinets are offwhite) so would match the craft cabinet AND TV/storage cabinet that I already have. (Love that style!)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
daybed/trundle or futon for guest/sewing room?  (PICS!)-bedroom-05_sewing_room_with_daybed.jpg   daybed/trundle or futon for guest/sewing room?  (PICS!)-sauder_craft_armoire_8097-475_1.jpg   daybed/trundle or futon for guest/sewing room?  (PICS!)-sauder_craft_armoire_8097-475_3.jpg   daybed/trundle or futon for guest/sewing room?  (PICS!)-casey_daybed.jpg   daybed/trundle or futon for guest/sewing room?  (PICS!)-casey_daybed_black.jpg  

daybed/trundle or futon for guest/sewing room?  (PICS!)-cottage-sofa-bed-convertible.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM

1,134 posts, read 874,300 times
I am also struggling with a similar situation concerning extra beds for guests and am no closer to resolving my issues. I have, however, given it a LOT OF thought. You may want to consider who will be using the extra sleeping area. A twin size daybed is great for smaller adults or children but feels quite claustrophobic for others - especially one that has the solid arms ( or head and foot board) and back. I know many people say futons are just not comfortable but I have had two in particular that were quite comfortable for a short term solution especially because you have more space to position your body the way you want to. I would not want to sleep on it for a long stretch of time though.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 AM

2,623 posts, read 2,348,396 times
I have had both and I like the futon better myself. The mattress and sleeping aspect of it aside because have answered this already with the newer mattresses, I would have to say as a sofa IMO the futon is hands down more comfortable because it has a back. The day bed has headboard style back and to me those darn pillows are just never quite comfy. I love the comfort of my futon. I also thing think that unless you will be getting a ton of overflow guests you probably would want to focus on what would be providing the maximum use and comfort for non guest situations.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM

613 posts, read 1,128,876 times
My mother recently replaced the old daybed with a futon and I find it very comfortable when I stay with them. I think the key here is spending a bit more on the futon to get better quality, both in the mattress itself and in the support for the mattress. Keep in mind that memory foam is very heavy and changing the futon cover will not be a one man job.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies! I THINK I am leaning toward the futon, especially given the new types of mattresses, AND I like the idea of switching it around with different covers (although of course I could switch around daybed linens as well). The vast majority of the time, this new piece of furniture would be used as a sofa (or cat bed!), so maybe the futon is the better choice ...

I would welcome other thoughts! Thanks!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM

13,949 posts, read 8,065,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am buying a house and will have the luxury of making 1 of the bedrooms into a sewing room. The room is 10'6" by 13' but part of that is a closet (see floor plan). The cabinet by the door is a sewing cabinet (Sauder's craft cabinet -- see photos of it opened/closed). The cabinet near the closet is for a TV/general storage.

This room will only occasionally be used for guests since I already have another guest room. For the seating area, I am thinking of a daybed with trundle OR a full-size futon. (I have a sofabed but it is large and heavy and since the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor, I think it would be hard to move it up there and into the bedroom -- the bedroom door is I think 30" wide!)

The daybed is about 82" wide by 42" deep (that's what I currently have in the floor plan); the futon would be 82" wide by 36" deep, so it would take up slightly less room when used as a sofa (which would be the case most of the time). The futon could sleep 2 since it is full-size; the daybed's trundle could have a mattress (although normally I would just use it for linen storage etc.) and so also sleep 2, although I'm not sure my adult friends/relatives would like sleeping on the floor! I do like the idea of having the trundle for storage, although I have a lot of other closets so it's actually not absolutely needed.

I always thought futons were rather uncomfortable (very hard), but there are new mattresses available now that are more comfortable (like regular or memory-foam mattresses), so I think that shouldn't be an issue any more?

The futon and daybed I am considering are both cottage-style (see photos -- not sure which color daybed I would choose -- other cabinets are offwhite) so would match the craft cabinet AND TV/storage cabinet that I already have. (Love that style!)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Trundle, much more comfortable and welcoming than a futon in my opinion.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 AM

CSD610, can you say more about WHY? Even with the new kinds of futon mattresses, you still think a daybed would be more comfy?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM

220 posts, read 301,758 times
I'm having the same dilemma! I think I'm going to go with the daybed/trundle. The reason is that many of my friends have a kid or two and this way the mom and kid can be in the same room comfortably. I think ultimately the decision comes down to who would be sleeping in your guest room. If it's a couple, a futon might be better.

This is the one I'm probably going to get: Amazon.com: Day Bed with Trundle Mission Style in White Finish: Furniture & Decor

Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM

That's a nice daybed! Looks like lots of storage if you don't always need to have a mattress in the trundle.

Honestly, my dilemma is that 99% of the time, NO ONE will use the daybed/futon for sleeping (except my kitties) so it's like a coin toss between them. In the house I am buying, I will already have a separate guest room with a double bed PLUS a sofabed in the family room (queen-size) PLUS 2 sleeper chairs (twin-size) in other bedrooms. I have never had more than two house guests at a time and I already have room for 6, lol! I just like to have "efficient" furniture that can be used in more than one way ... but sometimes I get carried away!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM

9,348 posts, read 6,206,345 times
the problem I have w/day beds is when you sit on them they are so deep you can't put your feet on the floor. the futon is less deep and a bit more comfortable to use for sitting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating