Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

It's too bad someone decided to "modernize" that house back in the 70's .

Good luck with that project. I would make sure you find a REALLY good inspector to go over it with a fine tooth comb, especially since you know in the past there has been water damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,447 times
Wow. You've really got your work cut out for you.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Sheena, glad you got my humor. It really is a huge job but in the end it will be amazing I am sure. I see you are in Pa. there are a lot of antique and salvage places in those parts so my hunt for all things "period" might start here. The front door especially, but finding one that fits exactly may be problematic. I can't help but wonder why the radiators are all coral or is that just rust? Keep us posted.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Yes I do have salvage places galore." Old Good Things" is located in Scranton, our sister city, with satellite stores is New York and San Fransisco. It's one of the best.

If you know the area, this is how it goes, they let a lovely home go to pot in Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, strip it down, and sell it to folks in SF and NYC.

People from North East PA - head for the 'burbs, and a Plastic Vic, or a raised ranch.

Great thing for those of us who do love old homes - one can be had for less than 100 grand.
A structurally sound one that has been restored, a bit more.
A structurally sound one like mine - way less.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Wow. You've really got your work cut out for you.
I've said that, and to an extent it is true. To make it "perfect" - but it is more than livable, spacious, with a distinctly American style now.
Solid as a rock, made it though two floods and at least, 75 years.

My sympathy goes out to people who fell for partical board monstrosities in the 1990s.

This will be fun and rewarding! Since I'll take my time, financially, and historically. The graet thing is ythat I've found a more than habitable home, that I can restore and enjoy! The fun part will be swimming in my 1959 Gunite Pool (it's been maintained beautifully - no liners to replace! - this summer!

Wilkes-Barre is full of them, as is upstate NY and Eastern OH.
If you can live with someing annoying, dated and funky for a while - and laugh and learn about your home - that's really fun!

I'm excited and I am happy that I have others on the board to enjoy this journey with me!

It's hard for me to complain at all, when there are people in our country who are homeless.

Put it to you this way, when people worry about an "extra room" ...makes me wonder. Be grateful.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
The house looks to me from the 50's. When was it built? The moldings are throwing me off because the one bedroom (I think its a bedroom) has much wider moldings especially around the closet and those moldings are usually seen in homes around the 20's. The rest of the house has a different style. The staircase railing really says 50's to me. Unless someone tore out the original and replaced it.

It reminds me of a house my husband and I rehabbed years ago. We tore off the aluminum siding and awnings (we had the exact same set up). Those awnings really made the house dark. I was glad to take them off. Sadly underneath the siding there was nothing. I was hoping to find wood siding. Due to cost, the value of the home and neighborhood we had to go with vinyl. The good news was we turned in the aluminum in for scrap and it damn near paid for all the new vinyl we purchased. I believe aluminum has a higher rate now.

We had the exact same kitchen! The only difference was our appliances were original to the redo in the 70's and they were stainless steel. When the ovens died, the hole was too large for newer appliances. That was a bummer so we had to go with a free standing range so I made the holes where the built ovens were into recessed bookcases for my cookbooks. It was fun thinking outside the box.

Congrats on your new home. Keep us updated on the changes.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Great photos. I love the trim around one of the doors (bedroom maybe)? Gorgeous.

Not sure why you felt the need to take a dig at my thread though. :-(

Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Great photos. I love the trim around one of the doors (bedroom maybe)? Gorgeous.

Not sure why you felt the need to take a dig at my thread though. :-(

I noticed that too. LOVVVVVVVVVVE it.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Yes the rooms with the wood trim are the bedrooms and upstairs. I didn't take pictures of all four bedrooms because three are all alike in size (no master) with the trim intact on the base boaerd and where the wall meets the ceilings. I am at least glad of that! The fourth bedroom on the second floor is a bit smaller - nursery? maid's room? I would think the latter because of the overly large closet - floor to ceiling. Would a baby really need that? It would seem that a maid, who might stay five or six days, and go home on Sunday's might need a larger closet.

On the other hand, the attic is finished with one central room and four little rooms under each of the dormers. The maid could have stayed there, and if she had children they could have uses the samller rooms as bedrooms.

We are dividing it up, giving half to my 18 year old son, that 6'2" skinny guy you can see on the sleeping porch and wondering around the attic. Since he'll be going to college in OH next year, this will give him a bit of privacy, as well as a place to entertain friends whrn they visit.

Three of the small rooms will be used as a study library, and for storage. The other as a bedroom. My 16 year old daughter hasn't decided if she wants the other large bedroom or the privacy of being upstairs. The other bedrooms the small one with the pink floral wall paper, and the yellow medium 14 X 12 sized bedroom, have a very special purpous - we have applied to adopt a sibling group of three children 2 boys and a girl, ages 9,7 and 5, from Ukraine!

Along with the 1950s, real wood tongue and groove paneled basement ( with a wet bar, and the requisite poor table, ping pong table and dart board, we should be able to have some fun times in This Old House.:-)

I am so touched by all of your interest and advice! Never fear, I'll be keeping you updated along the way...don't worry!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:13 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I'd love to see a thread in which you post commentaries and photos of your update projects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating