Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,985,040 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but that table/vanity is absolutely hideous. I also think that vessel sinks are on the edge of being passe. It is a tiny bathroom - go with something simple and classic. A white pedestal sink would be in keeping with a historic house - rehabbed old or reproduction new pedestal sink. It is what you need visually in that tiny room.

Go with sleek and simple as a modern statement in your historic house. Here is what I'm talking about.

Redirect Notice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,227,072 times
AMT, I have a few ideas you might like, some of this may appeal to you, it can steer you in some direction at least. The mirror will be a great focal point, it should be taller than wide, and since your spigots will be in chrome, then the frame around the mirror should be a similar silvery color, and you can find perhaps an ornate sort of mirror like that, in stores that focus on "antiquey" looks. A light shining on a mirror really brightens a room, so you could go the traditional way and put whatever pretty light fixture you can find to go over the mirror, something that sort of "goes" with the frame you wind up with on the mirror.

I think you should consider wainscotting around the room, and make that beadboard the traditional white or off-white, which wainscotting adds a sort of historic flavor. This whitish color, too, will begin to ground the room in a light color, essential when using a strong black and white piece in there. A guest towel rack on the wall to the left of the vanity should have white towels, and maybe put a light-colored pretend flower arrangement on the back of the toilet, it will give the room a pretty look, if a vase will go on there and if the flowers won't get in the way of people using the really great toilet you have. If not, then a smallish silvery framed picture that you love can be hung above it. Just keep it simple over near the toilet; it's the mirror that is the focal point.

Figure out your paint above the wainscotting by choosing either from the existing color story in your home on that floor, and then just be sure to pick a much lighter version of that. Or you can pick your fav color, again a pastel version. It's helpful in a renovation to PERHAPS match the flooring outside the bathroom, but any sort of flooring is fine in there, as bathrooms usually have a tile-like flooring, and if you prefer a dark laminate or tile or wood floor, put a good-sized white rug across both the vanity and toilet places.

The zebra print in a room is actually SORT of like a poor-man's oriental, it goes in any style home because people have been using animal prints since hunters have been on safari. The main thing with a zebra print, which is sort of the opposite of oriental, is you don't want a whole lot of conflict with it; it needs to sort of stand on its own, and my preference of its main adjacent color is white or off-white or very light tan, which you would get that white color from the wainscotting and either light flooring or big white rug on the floor.

And if you do paint your walls a pastel color, use semi-gloss paint, and then I think you should paint the ceiling in white, also using a semi-gloss. You can paint the inside of the door and frame the same as the white ceiling. And when you choose the white colors, be they off-white or very light beige colors as the basics of the room, they do not have to match at all; it's the overall feeling of a whitish color that will brighten the zebra print by bringing out the white stripes. Lastly, try diff lightbulbs in your above-mirror lamp, to get the best brightness look in that bathroom, and thus when you go to picking out a lamp, check and see what wattage or type bulb it will use. GG

Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,985,040 times
If your intent is to lean towards the modern, I would not put wainscotting in that bathroom. Wide, interesting moldings yes - wainscotting no...no need to biscect such a little room.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-17-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 PM

49,955 posts, read 63,265,686 times
I think a first floor powder room is a prime place to be whimsical. I see a large rococo framed mirror, painted in shiny black, and an appropriately sized crystal chandelier. Maybe a white marble tiled floor.
Of course, as the other girls said, if you want to rethink that cabinet, our work would be much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating