Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 145,150 times

Advertisements

I have to say, I was nicely surprised with Lowe's response to my seam problem. The kitchen installation manager kept in touch with me through every step of the repair, which made all the difference. The installer sent one of their "best guys" out to fix it. He popped the countertops apart and refilled the seam. As you can see from the pics, he did a much better job with blending the color and filling in the seam. The seam is now 1/16" wide, compared to the original 1/8" wide seam.

@TracyRoberts2020, I would definitely complain to Lowe's and hopefully they'll be just as responsive as my store was. I hope it works out for you. Lowe's really stood behind their product and made sure that the installer made it right in my eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Quartz Countertop Seam-seam.jpg   Bad Quartz Countertop Seam-img_0005-1024x768-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 191,373 times
That is still not a good seem (although Im happy for you if that makes you happy) the problem is these companys that do seams like this for Lowes do it in an improper way. You should not have a grout line with quartz seams. The seam should be tight the edges of each countertop should be sq then pushed together tight. I am demanding they replace my counter tops.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 22,476 times
Unhappy granite seam looks like a zipper

We had Lowes installers put in our granite countertops last week and the seam looks like a zipper, there was also a crack in the granite where the sink was cutout which was there when they installed it. Not happy at all with the Granite City in Eagle River. I would have it all replaced but we have been without a kitchen for 3 months and are just tired of all the waiting. We will never do business with them again.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,346,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJalaska1 View Post
We had Lowes installers put in our granite countertops last week and the seam looks like a zipper, there was also a crack in the granite where the sink was cutout which was there when they installed it. Not happy at all with the Granite City in Eagle River. I would have it all replaced but we have been without a kitchen for 3 months and are just tired of all the waiting. We will never do business with them again.
Awww, sorry to hear that, but do think twice about letting it go. The granite countertop is probably the focal point of your kitchen, not to mention one of the largest expenses -- you want it to be perfect! And you surely don't want to be unhappy every time you look at it.

I have a very small kitchen with a counter about 8' long. I got a quartz (Silestone) countertop from Home Depot. I asked their sub-contractor not to put any seam in it at all. I knew the seam would be mid-sink and I just didn't want to see a seam there, especially on a white quartz with not much pattern to it. They managed to do it without a seam. However, there's now a chip along the edge of the sink -- I'm so upset! I don't even cook that much, so I have no idea how it could have gotten chipped. Anyway, now I'm wondering if not having a seam made it more vulnerable to chipping because it doesn't have the inherent strength. Just a thought. Nothing I can do now, as it's over a year old. I have the actual chip and I was going to see if I could superglue it back on.

Let us know how you make out, and I do hope you get it resolved.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 22,227 times
Default Pic #1, not too bad; pic #2 -- HORRIBLE!

I got to this forum looking into quartz counter top seams, with some manufacturers claiming the warranties do NOT apply to seams. What the heck does this mean I asked.

Anyway, on the original post. I would NOT accept the seam in the second pic at all! It is not only too wide but not even straight. A good counter top installer should able to do a 1/16" straight seam I would think. On the beveling aspect *at the seams*. Well this may be the case. I don't know how this stuff is cut, so maybe they think this makes the seams look nicer, but, again -- WIDE seams.

At any rate, so sorry about your results. This material is expensive and you deserve better!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
This is what the seam on mine (Cambria Quartz, color Chatham) looks like, up close and in bright sun. They are more noticeable with light slanting across them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	seam.JPG
Views:	14754
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	107487

Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 17,483 times
Default any DIY tips to repair bad seams in quatrz countertops?

We recently purchased Silestone quartz countertops from Home Depot ($5300). The glue or filler in the seams has all migrated out leaving large gaps in the countertop. I contacted the Home Depot we purchased the countertops from and they told me to contact Silestone which I did. I was told by the Silestone rep they don't warrant seams in the their installations and that I should get a tube of caulk and seal them. So I have some caulk but am wondering if there is anything else I can do to make the seams more aesthetically appealing. Any input would be helpful, thanks so much.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:37 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,563,353 times
Because the way are country top turn to instal granite , quartz or sandstone would have require a funky seam, I dislike seams myself and I know it drive me wild, lol...Reason we settle on the higher end laminate top, no seams, nice clean ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating