Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

I want to thank you all for your advice, however, it is so important to know the models you bought....either the number or name...

I'm still researching....thanks to all of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I want to thank you all for your advice, however, it is so important to know the models you bought....either the number or name...

I posted a link to the model I bought.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Very informative thank you, I didn't know this...do you know what models you purchased?
I'm sorry. I don't. We bought them a few years ago. I just went through the Hunter and Casablanca sites (quickly) and none look familiar. They may change the styling a bit every couple of years, or they just look different to me because of the light kits we have attached to each of ours.

If you have a local mom & pop fan store in your area, they probably offer free or low cost installation if you purchase from them. (By low cost, I mean like $35 each.) Most fans can be adapted to accomodate a remote control, even if it doesn't come with one; most can also be adapted to a wall switch that does more than just turn the fan on/off. (It can turn any attached lights on/off independently, as well as turn the fan on each of the different speeds, including reverse.) A local place offering installation will no doubt hook that up for you too, if you choose.

I do remember doing a lot of research prior to purchasing. It wasn't simply a "pick a style I like and go with it" sort of thing.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I'm sorry. I don't. We bought them a few years ago. I just went through the Hunter and Casablanca sites (quickly) and none look familiar. They may change the styling a bit every couple of years, or they just look different to me because of the light kits we have attached to each of ours.

If you have a local mom & pop fan store in your area, they probably offer free or low cost installation if you purchase from them. (By low cost, I mean like $35 each.) Most fans can be adapted to accomodate a remote control, even if it doesn't come with one; most can also be adapted to a wall switch that does more than just turn the fan on/off. (It can turn any attached lights on/off independently, as well as turn the fan on each of the different speeds, including reverse.) A local place offering installation will no doubt hook that up for you too, if you choose.

I do remember doing a lot of research prior to purchasing. It wasn't simply a "pick a style I like and go with it" sort of thing.
yes, I know what you mean...been researching for a few weeks now...and I'm glad I asked for input on here, b/c I learned a lot I didn't know.
Thanks again, greatly appreciate, and all the feedback from all of you.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Ceiling fans we have:

Library- Minka Group

Living room- the BNW model- Minka Group

Secondary bedrooms (small version of fan)- Minka Group

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
I am in the market for about 4-5 ceiling fans for bedrooms and 2 for the family room and office.

I don't want to buy the cheapest ones (Harbor Breeze and so on). So I went to the local lighting supply store and the clerk there recommended Casablanca (new models with more efficient motors supposedly). I also need light kits since the fans will replace the existing overhead lighting in the bedrooms.

I must say, I have a bit of a sticker shock. The fans were $250 each and the lighting kits (four lamps of 40 watt bulbs each OR 14 watt CFLs, supposedly 60W incandescent equivalents) were $130 each. That's $380 per fan/light setup. Five of them would be $1900 plus $125 each for install for the grand total of $2525 for the bedrooms. Is that a reasonable price $380 per set?

For the family room/office, the clerk recommended a very modern looking Minkaire at $279 each (but it comes with a remote and a 100w halogen light kit already installed). Seems more reasonable.

What are the benefits of going with something like Casablanca rather than (if not quite Harbor Breeze) mid-price Hunter or Minkaire?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Almost all our fans are Hunter. One is Casablanca. We chose the Casablanca for it's style, since I wanted something particular in our living room. I shop style and motor size, then price.

We're in the Arizona desert, meaning our fans get quite a work-out. They run the better part of 8 months/year. We haven't found a significant difference between the brands itself.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
I don't know about the brands but I have cheap fans and one hellishly expensive one in my family room.

The cheap fans make a noise after a while, bits fall off, but a bit of wd40 they're good again. I hammer them having them on at least 50% of the time.

The expensive fan is smooth, silent and sturdy. Plus it looks good

Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Almost all our fans are Hunter. One is Casablanca. We chose the Casablanca for it's style, since I wanted something particular in our living room. I shop style and motor size, then price.

We're in the Arizona desert, meaning our fans get quite a work-out. They run the better part of 8 months/year. We haven't found a significant difference between the brands itself.
could you elaborate on Moter size or what kind?

thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating