U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 PM

4,269 posts, read 4,196,251 times

Advertisements

OK, I feel kinda silly asking such a question, but I have never had hardwood floors so I really don't know much about how to care for them (other than sweeping, dust-mopping, etc.).

For example, the living room has hardwood floors. Does this mean that all furniture I put in that room should have felt pads? Does hardwood scratch really easily? (This is real hardwood, not engineered wood or laminate.) The living room is large and will have quite a bit of furniture in it ... I am wondering if I should buy a big value-pack of felt pads!

Same question for the dining room, master bedroom, and bedroom #2 (which will be a guest room). Other rooms are tiled or have carpeting and I know how to deal with those. :-)

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM

860 posts, read 1,836,578 times
I would definetly put felt or something on the bottom of furniture or anything that could scratch the floor. Make sure you dont let water or anything sit for too long. We have had them for almost 4 years with 3 kids and 2 dogs and they still look great-they take a lot of abuse too.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 PM

I don't have kids but I do have cats and may be getting a dog or two once I settle in, so it's good to know it's possible to keep the floors in great shape!

I am pretty good about checking for "accidents" by my cats -- no litter box accidents (luckily!!) but they do vomit sometimes (lovely image, huh?). I will be very careful to check at least a couple of times a day!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:57 PM

157 posts, read 253,791 times
The value pack felt pads are nice, but sometimes come off. For my heavy furniture, I have the coaster type sliders under them.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Equinox1, do you mean the kind that is used on carpet? (I have a ton of those at my current house so I can easily rearrange heavy furniture.) Those work on hardwood?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 PM

157 posts, read 253,791 times
I had to ck to see if they were used on carpet and they are for both. Ace has them:
Ace® 3-1/2in Slider Value Pack for Hard and Carpeted Floors - Carpet Cups & Slides - Ace Hardware

They are much better than the felt pads under heavier furniture since they let you slide it. I use felt pads for chair legs, ottoman, etc but they sometimes come off.

I actually checked this thread initially to get hints so I hope more respond. I have the scratching issues resolved I think, but still don't have the best solution for cleaning hardwoods despite having them for a few years. I had some remodeling done and the sheetrock dust that spread thru the house is really hard to get cleaned up with vacuuming or dustmop. When I've used the swifter, it just looks streaked. Mine are prefinished hardwoods. What do others use when they really need to be c leaned.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,115,085 times
It is the tiny bits of grit and dust on the bottom of shoes grinding into the finish of hardwood floors that ultimately ruin the finish far before its time. Diligent sweeping, swiffering and vacuuming and probably most importantly, a shoes off policy will go a long way to keeping hardwood floors looking good for years.

Also there are more than a few women who blithely think nothing of imprinting dozens and dozens of little dents in your beautiful (in my case 80 y.o.) hardwood floors with their stylish pumps while visiting unless you politely ask them to remove them- let them give you stink eye but make them take 'em off.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 PM

6,772 posts, read 21,441,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
It would be in your best interest to follow the recommendations of the Wood Flooring Association. Home remedies and concoctions generally tend to serve a dis-service to the lifespan of the flooring.
FAQs, Wood Floor Care, Hardwood Floor Maintenance | NWFA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating