U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM

7,246 posts, read 12,698,539 times

Advertisements

I was looking at Home Depot's site at Craft Closet Storage and Organization Ideas ? The Home Depot (http://styleguide.homedepot.com/small-spaces/craft-closet.html - broken link) , where they show a craft closet (using stuff you can buy from them of course!). I don't really need to make a closet into a craft closet or an office closet, but I have seen some photos online at various sites and I am always impressed at what people have done!

So, have any of you made over a closet into a craft closet, an office closet, or some other type of closet (besides a place to store clothes/clutter, which is what all of my closets have been used for!)? I would love to see photos. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,760,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I was looking at Home Depot's site at Craft Closet Storage and Organization Ideas ? The Home Depot (http://styleguide.homedepot.com/small-spaces/craft-closet.html - broken link) , where they show a craft closet (using stuff you can buy from them of course!). I don't really need to make a closet into a craft closet or an office closet, but I have seen some photos online at various sites and I am always impressed at what people have done!

So, have any of you made over a closet into a craft closet, an office closet, or some other type of closet (besides a place to store clothes/clutter, which is what all of my closets have been used for!)? I would love to see photos. Thanks!
I'm working on the guest room closet right now.......it has an antique chest, a TV......and I am not quite sure what else I am gonna put in there.....it was DDs room, and its teensy.
Will post a couple of pics as soon as the flooring is done, tomorrow if I am in the mood to work on the floor.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,211,603 times
In one of my houses I took a closet in the spare bedroom and made it into a recessed bookcase (it was a very small closet). It looked really cool. We were told we couldnt have children so that was our tv room. When I found out I was pregnant, we discovered it worked really well leaving it as a bookcase. When my son was a toddler he could put his toys on the shelves. We took out the two bottom shelves and installed a rod so his clothes were at his level.

In the next house we did a desk closet for our son. He was around 6 yrs old at the time and his room was very small. His clothes went in the dresser so there really was no need for a closet but there was a need for him to have a desk. So we designed a built in desk. My husband added a outlet and my son's computer fit in there nicely. We then added shelving above for books and supplies. Added a chair and it could be pushed in and out of the way. It turned out cute. Of course I didnt take pictures.

Sometimes I miss working the creativity. Our current house is much newer than the houses we owned before so our current floor plan is modern. We have all the space we need. I used to love coming up with space saving ideas that other people didn't have.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

32,416 posts, read 59,921,822 times
You put craft stuff in a closet -- voila, it's a craft closet. You put office stuff in a closet -- voila, it's an office closet.

I don't need to have closets be so compartmentalized. A single-use closet is just a waste of space.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,708,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You put craft stuff in a closet -- voila, it's a craft closet. You put office stuff in a closet -- voila, it's an office closet.

I don't need to have closets be so compartmentalized. A single-use closet is just a waste of space.
Agreed!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 AM

891 posts, read 2,841,481 times
I think it depends on what you plan to use it for and how many hours you intend to be in the space each week.

I had an office closet in my very small condo when I was telecommuting. Honestly, I hated it. There was never enough space and I felt claustrophobic. Now I was doing that 40 hours/week. If I were doing it just occasionally, I wouldn't have minded as much. Also keep in mind that if you make the space dual purpose--office and crafting--then you must setup your space and tear it down when done, each time you use it.

I much prefer to have a dedicated office space with its own door, where I have room to move around and spread out a bit. In my current place, I have turned the second bedroom into an home office and drafting/work room. I like having multiple surfaces to work on, which I like--especially when sewing upholstery or doing photography. So I dedicated an entire room that has my drafting table, interior design samples, computer/office area and a 36" high workbench that can be dismantled when not in use. For any activities like sewing its healthier to work at on a 36" high surface and have room for the sewing machine, cutting and ironing. Some hobbies take up less space.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM

891 posts, read 2,841,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
In one of my houses I took a closet in the spare bedroom and made it into a recessed bookcase (it was a very small closet). It looked really cool. We were told we couldnt have children so that was our tv room. When I found out I was pregnant, we discovered it worked really well leaving it as a bookcase. When my son was a toddler he could put his toys on the shelves. We took out the two bottom shelves and installed a rod so his clothes were at his level.

In the next house we did a desk closet for our son. He was around 6 yrs old at the time and his room was very small. His clothes went in the dresser so there really was no need for a closet but there was a need for him to have a desk. So we designed a built in desk. My husband added a outlet and my son's computer fit in there nicely. We then added shelving above for books and supplies. Added a chair and it could be pushed in and out of the way. It turned out cute. Of course I didnt take pictures.

Sometimes I miss working the creativity. Our current house is much newer than the houses we owned before so our current floor plan is modern. We have all the space we need. I used to love coming up with space saving ideas that other people didn't have.
I like the idea, but I would caution against re-purposing or removing a closet permanently. From a home sales perspective, its similar to removing a bedroom. Closets are something that adds value to a home and when you remove them, you may unwittingly reduce your property value or buyer pool. So if you change the closet to a multi-functional space, you may want to be able to turn it back into a closet when you get ready to sell.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM

7,246 posts, read 12,698,539 times
Kshe, any photos of your closets?

Fallingwater, yours sounds great -- wish you had pictures!

And I started this thread because I was curious about what others have done. Of course I know it's not always a good use of space, but there are a LOT of closets in the house I'm buying and I don't need them all for clothes. So ... I was curious!

Would welcome other ideas!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:14 PM

7,890 posts, read 10,593,195 times
I have not done this but I know someone that did quite a while back. She took a closet and hubby built shelves after measuring and fit in the rubber maid type pullout drawers on the shelves. Here is where it gets creative. He made a pull out "table" (think like an ironing board that is attached to the wall and folds into the closet upright). He mounted the hinges offset the door frame. She opens the door and pulls down the table, she sets her sewing machine up or crafts. If it is not going to be needed she leaves it down if not pops it right back up. They moved and took the stuff with them other wise I would post a picture. Hubby was very creative.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,114,235 times
Building an office in a closet is on my to do list for this year. I work from home, 40 hours attached to my phone and computer, so it will need to be very functional. The rest of the room will be a guest room. I'm still collecting ideas and photos, but I'll post when I finally do it. I keep going back to this photo at the very bottom of this page. Manolo for the Home: House, Home and Lifestyle Advice - Part 34 I like the built-in look. I don't want it to look temporary and thrown together like so many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating