Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 PM

17 posts, read 62,277 times

Advertisements

Hello guys So i just purchased a leather tan sectional (picture below). Im looking to make my apartment look modern and I was considering painting the wall behind the couch a pale gray....any thoughts on this combo? Would this be considered modern? i see a lot of people do red and tan but Im looking to do something different. Any website suggestions so that I can get an idea what look Im going for? Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Tan leather couch with pale gray wall???-coucher.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
I would never think of doing tan and light gray together, but then lots of combinations that don't sound like they'd go together well, actually DO in real life. I know when I think about changing colors in a particular room, I go buy those little $3 bottles of paint samples and try lots of different colors.

I'm not a designer, but I know there are several here (they've helped me with some of my dilemmas!). Hopefully they'll chime in too. Good luck with your apartment! (I like your new sectional but leather is out for me as I have cats and I'd be afraid they'd tear it up within the first week!)

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
tan and gray do not match.
ever

Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Nightcrawler, maybe you have some suggestions for the OP?

I might paint the walls a rust orange color ... I have that in my kitchen and it looks great. It should go well with tan (and other earth colors when you get more furniture). Not sure if it's considered "modern" though.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 PM

501 posts, read 1,473,716 times
A rust color or orange-red as Karen in NH suggested would look nice and also a burgundy would be a nice contrast without being too red. It depends on the natural light from the windows and size of your room. Try paint samples first and check the colors in all light (i.e. morning, late afternoon, evening with lights on). Here is a link for Benjamin Moore paint samples:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...llery#&ce_vm=0

Last edited by Rowen; 03-30-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,082 times
My last house had what the builder called "designer paint" and in the study they did a charcoal grey and dark tan. I would have never put those colors together, but it looked cool. The colors were separated with a (high) chair rail.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
OP, please define what you really mean by "modern"?
Thats actually cutting a rather large swath.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
My last house had what the builder called "designer paint" and in the study they did a charcoal grey and dark tan. I would have never put those colors together, but it looked cool. The colors were separated with a (high) chair rail.
Whats going to matter is how the grey is mixed. Black/grey can be mixed using different base colors. A grey with tan/brown tones would work. One with red/orange tones might clash.

Black/grey is a very hard color to match exactly with other black tones since there are various ways they can be created and you'll never notice the undertones until you put them next to each other. Paint strips is a very good suggestion.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVanity View Post
Hello guys So i just purchased a leather tan sectional (picture below). Im looking to make my apartment look modern and I was considering painting the wall behind the couch a pale gray....any thoughts on this combo? Would this be considered modern? i see a lot of people do red and tan but Im looking to do something different. Any website suggestions so that I can get an idea what look Im going for? Thanks in advance
From what I recently heard, gray and tan is the current "in" combo in fashion right now. I've worn it and it looks good! I do think that given the correct gray, it would indeed look very modern and current. I say go for it, do something out of the norm, it's so tiring seeing the same old combos all the time! Besides, if YOU like it, that's what matters. It's only paint. You can change it in a few years if you want to.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Whats going to matter is how the grey is mixed. Black/grey can be mixed using different base colors. A grey with tan/brown tones would work. One with red/orange tones might clash.

Black/grey is a very hard color to match exactly with other black tones since there are various ways they can be created and you'll never notice the undertones until you put them next to each other. Paint strips is a very good suggestion.
Or maybe with a greenish gray?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating