U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2012, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,451 times

Advertisements

Those who have - with MORE experience than I,

I have installed Hardie board on floors with ceramic floor tile on top, but all surfaces were flat and/or a single slope.

I need the tile, thus also the Hardie board to slope away from 3 walls which means I need the Hardie board to be cut & bonded/supported (thin set polymer based mortar) with at least three? slopes.

I 'assume' one cuts the Hardie board in pie shaped wedges, but you know what they say about those (we) who 'assume'!

Guidance, suggestions, resources, etc. would be helpful AND APPRECIATED!

Thank you.

Be WELL 'n be SAFE!

MsRobinA
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM

6,845 posts, read 22,009,440 times
Are you trying to do a shower base?
If you are- that ain't the way! You gotta do a mortar bed.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,451 times
K'ledgeBldr,

Sorry, NO, I am not trying to create a shower base.

I apologize for that NOT being clear. (I 'thought' the earlier post [thread]) had been quoted, but apparently not. grrrr (so much for 'assuming')

I have a stand alone whirlpool tub, which I TOTALL iY understand does NOT 'need' a water resistant NOR a 'waterproof' platform / surround! Sadly several wanting to help have focused on my NOT 'needing', rather than helping me create a water resistant (do NOT expect running / copious amounts of standing water) ONLY occasional splashes / drops as one exists the whirlpool tub. I can - WILL benefit from whirlpool action on my foot / feet, and lower leg(s) so I want to be able to 'bath' &/or simply sit (once I've been in the tub) on the platform / surround, so I wish to AVOID (not STOP ALL) water dripping / draining on the floor by having a tiled platform-surround whose foundation is one flat mortared layer of Hardie Board with the upper layer being SLOPPED toward the tub so any water splashed / dripped is LIKELY to drain / run into the tub vs. onto the floor!

So my original question was how (the preferred - BEST way) to cut - slope, tape & mud (plastic based mortar mix) the 2nd (upper) layer of Hardie board which will be the 'base' for the ceramic tile.

Repeating, I do NOT seek / expect waterproof,water resistant is / WILL be FINE!

I 'think' I can (should) cut, shim (slope) the Hardie board in pie shaped sections i.e. away from the wall(s) and away from the 3+ feet of tiled (Hardie board underneath) floor edge.

I HOPE the above is CLEAR and precludes someone telling me it 'won't work i.e. will be waterproof since I do NOT expect pooling - standing water, ESPECIALLY if the tile surface slopes to (above) the tub's inner edge.

Quote:
Best way to create multiple/complex slopes w Hardie board underlayment for ceramic tile Those who have - with MORE experience than I,

I have installed Hardie board on floors with ceramic floor tile on top, but all surfaces were flat and/or a single slope.

I need the tile, thus also the Hardie board to slope away from 3 walls which means I need the Hardie board to be cut & bonded/supported (thin set polymer based mortar) with at least three? slopes.

I 'assume' one cuts the Hardie board in pie shaped wedges, but you know what they say about those (we) who 'assume'!

Guidance, suggestions, resources, etc. would be helpful AND APPRECIATED!

Thank you.

Be WELL 'n be SAFE!

MsRobinA

Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM

6,845 posts, read 22,009,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRobinA View Post
K'ledgeBldr,

Sorry, NO, I am not trying to create a shower base.

I apologize for that NOT being clear. (I 'thought' the earlier post [thread]) had been quoted, but apparently not. grrrr (so much for 'assuming')

I have a stand alone whirlpool tub, which I TOTALL iY understand does NOT 'need' a water resistant NOR a 'waterproof' platform / surround! Sadly several wanting to help have focused on my NOT 'needing', rather than helping me create a water resistant (do NOT expect running / copious amounts of standing water) ONLY occasional splashes / drops as one exists the whirlpool tub. I can - WILL benefit from whirlpool action on my foot / feet, and lower leg(s) so I want to be able to 'bath' &/or simply sit (once I've been in the tub) on the platform / surround, so I wish to AVOID (not STOP ALL) water dripping / draining on the floor by having a tiled platform-surround whose foundation is one flat mortared layer of Hardie Board with the upper layer being SLOPPED toward the tub so any water splashed / dripped is LIKELY to drain / run into the tub vs. onto the floor!

So my original question was how (the preferred - BEST way) to cut - slope, tape & mud (plastic based mortar mix) the 2nd (upper) layer of Hardie board which will be the 'base' for the ceramic tile.

Repeating, I do NOT seek / expect waterproof,water resistant is / WILL be FINE!

I 'think' I can (should) cut, shim (slope) the Hardie board in pie shaped sections i.e. away from the wall(s) and away from the 3+ feet of tiled (Hardie board underneath) floor edge.

I HOPE the above is CLEAR and precludes someone telling me it 'won't work i.e. will be waterproof since I do NOT expect pooling - standing water, ESPECIALLY if the tile surface slopes to (above) the tub's inner edge.

All of that ^^^^^
For this: "ONLY occasional splashes / drops as one 'exits' the whirlpool tub".
Honey, a towel can take care of that. You really need to find a project that will have a greater return for your thought processes.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM

543 posts, read 2,062,672 times
I think K'ledgeBldr is right. A microfiber mat is really all you need. And that's just a fancy towel.

HOWEVER......If you really want a "system" for this, forget the Hardie product. You must build a slope with mortar. That's a tile pro's domain, unless you can evenly slope from all three sides from 1" + to 3/4" + with a real mortar bed mix and not thinset.

Good Luck!

Streamer1212
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating