Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,785,772 times

Advertisements

bought my house in october...
have No extra cash comming in right now so cant afford a kitchen redo so m doing what i can where i can.
kitchen has carpet (whos bright idea is it to put carpet in a kitchen)...
house has a none vented gas heater...carpet that looked fine (new) upon moving in now has water stains by the back door and along the cabinates form condensation (i didnt have the money for a dehumidifyer and had no problems with moisture in other rooms)
the carpet also smells... and obviously gets wet formslpashes when i do the dishes, dropped food grease ect...just generally bad idea.
uner the carpet is basic ply.

ive decided since it only needs to last me a few years (im planning a complete kitchen overhaul once ive got some equity in the house) vinyl tile would be the cheapest most user frinedly way to go...
but ive had issues in the past getting it to stick properly...

Thoughts? tips? hints? mabe im missing something?!
i thought of mabe putting down extra adhisive or something similar?!

I just cant do with this yucky carpet anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM

17,425 posts, read 65,620,496 times
DON'T DO A GLUE-DOWN!
When it comes time to do that remodel you'll be glad you didn't. The closest I'd come to a glue down is a perimeter glue floor- but even that can be a pain in the ass, especially on wood substrate.
What I would do is perimeter staple the vinyl. You can hide the staples with shoe mold. Then when it's time for the redo- your GC will love you- or you'll love yourself for taking this advice.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,687,327 times
If you would do a vinyl tile, you might as well install laminate because vinyl tile has the same water issues as laminate since it's not sealed.

A laminant floor is easy to install and super affordable. If you buy it on sale, you could do 250sqft for just over $100.

The advantage is that laminate isn't a glue/stick installation so it's easier to remove in the future.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 AM

17,425 posts, read 65,620,496 times
I like Hopes idea from the standpoint that you can reinstall/reuse when you remodel.
But that also means picking the right color or working around the color you choose.
Regardless of the cost I think it would be a very smart way to go.

The downside?
I hate laminate flooring!!!!
Not only is it cheap- it looks CHEAP!!!
And if you're doing a complete reno, why s#!t it up w crap like that?

Rant over.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,030,320 times
Don't blame you at all for hating the carpet.
We had to tear up the tile in our bathroom last year and did not have the money to immediately replace it, so we just did a sheet of linoleum. It wasn't costly, and it didn't take my DH long to put it down. We took it up recently as we finally got new tile for the bathroom! But the linoleum was fine to use and easy to keep clean, too.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,785,772 times
Id PREFER sheet vinyl i realy would...i just cant afford the additional labor to haul my fridge and stove out onto the back deck in order to lay the stuff.
I need the entire job done for under $100 (less would be even better) and thats not going to happen if i need to hire guys to haul my aplinances in and out lol.
My kitchen is 11x8 off the kitchen is a 3x3 halway, then my guest bedroom livingroom and master bed off that, my house is a total of around 700sqft, theres literally NOWHERE i can actually put the fridge while im laying the floor...
hence needing a "modular" product in which i can push my fridge to one ed of the kitchen, lay the flooring in its spot and push it back to do the other areas... the only other spot the fridge could go is the back deck and that job takes 2-3 strong backs and removing all the doors and hinges...

laminate is a heck no...my parents had it in theri kitchen and the waterline behind the fridge whent...yeah the floor was destroyed...i know laminate is fairly water resistant if the seams are all glued...but from what ive reaserched its one of the LOWEST rated roducts for rooms where water could be an issue.
Linolium tile is rated lower than vinyl but BOTH are rated much higher for "wet" spots than any laminate.
i do know that if water seeps into a loose edge on linoluim or vinyl tile it can be an issue, this is why im worried about making sure it adheres properly.

so generally i need something that can be laid in sections, 1 area at a time so i only have to move my frige to another area of the very small kitchen rather than out onto the deck lol, it needs to withstand general water (drooly dog, swiffer, splashes from the sink, (hopefully never much more water than that)) needs to withstand light-mid traffic, the dogs are NOT allowed to run in the house and i dremmel their nails so in not too worried about claw damage, and its just me living here (no kids running through, no dragging furniture around ect), needs to be EASY to install (again in small sections) and CHEAP. (i need to do the room for as little as possible with $100 to include tax)

Ive also considerd pulling the carpet, filling and sanding any holes/patches and just painting the floor with a floor paint and a couple coats of sealant...

I figured at least the vinyl peel and stick tile it fits all the needs (primarily my not needing to have the fridge hauled out and back in again lol) and some actually look quite nice.

*mutters something about stupid carpet lol*

the good news is the carpet thats not stinky will be re-used to cover my cats scratching post LOL.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM

9,240 posts, read 14,789,230 times
You can use plywood as a floor....

Plywood Flooring – An Attractive and Low-Cost Alternative to Hardwood

Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,687,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
laminate is a heck no...my parents had it in theri kitchen and the waterline behind the fridge whent...yeah the floor was destroyed...i know laminate is fairly water resistant if the seams are all glued...but from what ive reaserched its one of the LOWEST rated roducts for rooms where water could be an issue.
Linolium tile is rated lower than vinyl but BOTH are rated much higher for "wet" spots than any laminate.i do know that if water seeps into a loose edge on linoluim or vinyl tile it can be an issue, this is why im worried about making sure it adheres properly.

so generally i need something that can be laid in sections, 1 area at a time so i only have to move my frige to another area of the very small kitchen rather than out onto the deck lol, it needs to withstand general water (drooly dog, swiffer, splashes from the sink, (hopefully never much more water than that)) needs to withstand light-mid traffic, the dogs are NOT allowed to run in the house and i dremmel their nails so in not too worried about claw damage, and its just me living here (no kids running through, no dragging furniture around ect), needs to be EASY to install (again in small sections) and CHEAP. (i need to do the room for as little as possible with $100 to include tax)
That's not true about linolium and vinyl tile being better than laminant for wet areas. You're going to have the same problems. Those stick tiles have non-water proof seams just like laminate. The water can get inbetween the seams and make the subfloor swell. I should know because I had a stick tile in a bathroom and the subfloor was destroyed.

The only thing that will withstand water is real tile with grout. That can be done in sections. You can buy some tile on sale for well under $1/sqft.

The bigger problem is that it sounds like you have a serious water issue in your kitchen. Even if you can't afford a dehumidifyer for your furnace, you would probably do better to buy a dehumidifyer for your kitchen. They are very affordable, well under $100.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,791,793 times
What about click-together resilient planks? This is from Lumber Liquidators, but I'm sure you can find it other places as well.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,625,631 times
Home Depot, peel and stick vinyl tile. About 0.38cents per sq ft. so a 10ftx10ft area for less then $40.00. Home depot sku#626893

This brand or not, consider peel and stick vinyl. Buy extra for repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating