Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

OK, I have pretty much decided that in the living room of my new house, I will have 2 sofas facing each other, perpendicular to the fireplace. What do you think of these 2 sofas? (There are 4 photos of sofas but 3 are of the same sofa, just in different fabrics. That sofa also comes in gray, which I really like, but alas, it wouldn't go with anything else planned for this room.)

And to clarify, I will be getting two of the SAME sofas to face each other -- not one of each of these two kinds. :-)

I like the one with legs that you can see better than the other one, BUT I have cats and the other sofa would be much easier to cover with a slipcover if that need ever arose. Not sure that should be the determining factor though.

Would the one I like better look OK in a space that is kind of country-style but without the clutter? Or is it too formal looking? (I know it's "transitional," but it looks much more formal than the other one.)

And if I go with the one that I like better, should I go with the tan or brown because they are more neutral? (But I love green ...)

I've also attached photos of coffee tables I'm thinking of buying ... how would they go with these sofas? (I think they'd all go fine with the 4th sofa, not so sure if any would go with the other ones.)

Help!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-martine_sofa_brown.jpg   what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-martine_sofa_green.jpg   what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-martine_sofa_tan.jpg   what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-brennan_sofa.jpg   what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-044787_coffee_table_gates_38x18x24.jpg  

what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-ballard_designs_morgan_large_coffee_table.jpg   what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-countrydoor_brookfield_coffee_table_041496_36x18.5x36.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The Brennan sofa (without the legs) looks the most comfortable.

At this point in my life I care less about what it looks like and more about how comfy it is! LOL

I also like coffee table #2 the best. Think of all the fun you'll have "distressing" it so that it looks like the others!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
I would be interested in seeing the space you're puting them in. Is the fireplace more formal or casual looking? The first sofa style in your pictures looks more formal, and the second is more casual. The coffee tables all look a little more casual.
Also, have you looked at sofas on Overstock? They have several that would look cool facing each other.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM

Default living room floor plan included

lol, Ohiogirl, you'd think I should be at that stage now too of wanting comfort over style! Both sofas have good reviews, although one reviewer remarked of the sofa I like better that its cushions were rather hard.

The house I'm buying has a separate family room, which will have my current sofa (very comfy) in it as well as the big TV whenever I get around to buying it. The living room will be more formal (no TV!) although I am so NOT a formal person, so it won't be THAT formal. It will be used mostly for reading, listening to music, practicing piano, etc.

I really do like that first sofa, but I am worried about how long it would last with my cats ... the other one, as I wrote, would be much easier to sew slipcovers for if my kitties get out of hand.

Kandy, a possible floor plan is attached, although I won't have anywhere near that much furniture in it (I keep switching things around).
Attached Thumbnails
what do you think of these sofas/coffee tables? (PICS)-living_room_02_2-sofas_desk.jpg  

Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM

And P.S. I think that 2nd coffee table would work well with either sofa. Decisions, decisions!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
All of these sofas are very formal and country is a bit more casual. In both cases it is because they are not very deep, have very upright seat incline and tight upholstery. From the existing chair you showed in a previous post, I would say that your tastes do tend to run a little transitional anyway. You like country, but probably with cleaner lines and perhaps a little more formal and less shabby chic. Do you think your style is changing and you maybe are starting to like a slightly different style?

If you think you might want to go with a slipcover, then I would buy a sofa that comes with a slipcover option. Surefit only looks good in the catalog and if you get really lucky. Most of the time they don't look so good on "your" sofa. Just keep in mind that a slipped cover will look a bit frumpy on your sofa and that will make it read less formal and more casual. You may be okay with that.

Personally, for a country style, I like going with a chunkier roll arm and a deeper seat.

With regard to the tables, the first one is very shabby chic. I would avoid that if you want to keep your style more streamlined. The 3rd table goes best with the first sofa shown. The middle table goes better with the style that you describe for yourself (uncluttered country) if you paired it with a nice roll-arm sofa.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Hi TheWay! The first sofa is actually 41" deep; the other is 36" deep. The pictures must not show that clearly.

The first sofa is labeled "transitional" on the web site although I think it's leaning way more toward formal. But I'm curious as to why you think the other sofa looks formal? To me it looks pretty casual (which is fine with me).

I do like the first coffee table although I may use it elsewhere -- you are right, it really doesn't go with either of these sofas.

I do think my style would be considered country although I don't like a lot of clutter (although I DO like some decorative items, e.g. on a mantel or a table -- just try not to go overboard). I really dislike modern -- it looks very, very cold to me. Country decorating feels very warm -- that's what I'm going for!!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
I like the coffee table with the wicker baskets, #2. The sofa without the legs would be my choice.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi TheWay! The first sofa is actually 41" deep; the other is 36" deep. The pictures must not show that clearly.

The first sofa is labeled "transitional" on the web site although I think it's leaning way more toward formal. But I'm curious as to why you think the other sofa looks formal? To me it looks pretty casual (which is fine with me).

I do like the first coffee table although I may use it elsewhere -- you are right, it really doesn't go with either of these sofas.

I do think my style would be considered country although I don't like a lot of clutter (although I DO like some decorative items, e.g. on a mantel or a table -- just try not to go overboard). I really dislike modern -- it looks very, very cold to me. Country decorating feels very warm -- that's what I'm going for!!
Fabric choice has a great deal to do with whether a formal piece looks formal or not, you know?
What are the fabric choices you're looking at?
What color is the room, etc, etc.
You know the drill.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I too like the coffee table with the wicker baskets although the other square table is quite nice also.
The legs do make those couches a bit more formal looking. Even a bit more then transitional...
I would say because of your cats (lol) and because of your country"ish" style it would be better to get the more plain couch ( no legs)
I also would get it in green if you could as you "love" green.
Things in your home should be things you love.
Even though I am transitional in my furniture I still have some country"ish" things around.
They also make me feel comforable and cozy. Transitional goes fine with some country things that is why I love it so much.
I love your two couch idea and I hope its in a fireplace area. If not I'm sure it will still look swell.
Ok I see you do have the fireplace there......good goin' on your idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating