Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the color choice?
Looks awesome! 20 17.39%
Looks OK but not my style 49 42.61%
Looks like crap get rid of it! 46 40.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Well....hemmmm. What can I say. I just don't like the shade of blue at all. The stripes going horizontal don't add to the room. The room is narrow but that just shows that "yes" it is.
I would paint that blue a more mild color blue and then paint the walls a light grey.
But, I don't think you should be mad about it. That striping is a lot of hard work, and she "tried" so that should matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger555 View Post
Long story short we just bought a house 4 months ago and have been working on projects ever sense both equally sharing input! Her friend was in town this week to help with setting up the house and even after discussing painting the living room (which I did not even want to do because I liked the color) I was open to ideas just not the two toned which I told her!

Anyways after discussing the need to come to an agreement on the colors, they painted while I was at work and I'm pissed! Part of it due to the fact she did it in spite of our conversation (I would get over this) but mainly due to the fact that I don't like it!

I think it looks like a flag and nowhere close to the direction we BOTH want which is a nice looking modern living room.

The room is not decorated nor is the furniture really in place in these pictures but tell me I'm crazy does this look good/have potential if was decorated??

Lets have a vote guys/girls!!

Even tho it's not my thing, I think your wife and her friend did a hell of a paint job, looks very professional done! Right now your looking at a blank canvas... I'd not judge it until all the furnishing, curtains and details are finished! Let her carry out the vision! Second in the big scheme of things, this is not a "BIG DEAL!" Nor is this going to cause you great harm or death! My advice..."GET OVER IT!" Trust me this is so miner, not worth fighting about! Like a few others said, if you still can't handle it after a few weeks or months repaint in something you both agree on...

Old 04-05-2012, 03:22 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
It's a bold look, with a lot of potential, very decorator magazine. I think you should let her finish the room and live with it for a while. You may actually come to like it. If after a few months, you still don't care for it, let her know - in a sweet way.
It's also possible she may tire of it after a while. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you didn't have to paint.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
...If after a few months, you still don't care for it, let her know - in a sweet way. ...
OR wait until she is at work and paint it Forrest green, and hang a mounted head over the mantel.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger555 View Post
Long story short we just bought a house 4 months ago and have been working on projects ever sense both equally sharing input! Her friend was in town this week to help with setting up the house and even after discussing painting the living room (which I did not even want to do because I liked the color) I was open to ideas just not the two toned which I told her!

Anyways after discussing the need to come to an agreement on the colors, they painted while I was at work and I'm pissed! Part of it due to the fact she did it in spite of our conversation (I would get over this) but mainly due to the fact that I don't like it!

I think it looks like a flag and nowhere close to the direction we BOTH want which is a nice looking modern living room.

The room is not decorated nor is the furniture really in place in these pictures but tell me I'm crazy does this look good/have potential if was decorated??

Lets have a vote guys/girls!!

First let me say I have been happily married for 49 yrs , I said happily because we have over the yrs bought and sold many a home , most need cleaning up and painting and never would my wife or myself for that matter done anything without discussing the details with the wife . Now don't get the wrong idea here , we didn't always stay on the same track but in the end we both were happy with the end results. now to the question at hand , Blue and gray are not my colors , but after calling my daughter in MO. who is a professional interior decorator she suggested that the gray stripes should go up an down ( vertical ) and the stripes should be about 6-8 inch wide. Now thats her feelings, Also she Say's she is also a blue and gray person ,

Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I really don't like that blue with that gray.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM

187 posts, read 442,891 times
She did a nice job. Very crisp, clean lines.

I do like that shade of blue against the white, but not too crazy about the stripes. Looks nautical to me.

It's too bad she didn't include you in the process. Maybe you can have dibs on another room? Idk, just a thought.

Hope you can get through this!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I don't mind the blue at all but the grey and white striped walls are too weird.

Primary colors are quite nice actually. With a lovely Monet painting over the fireplace and some yellow and other bright, primary colors, the room could be very nice.

Lose the stripes, however.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Blue and Gray are in right now, thats for sure. I'm not a blue person in any way or form. I have "almost" nothing in blue here.
But, seeing that she seemed to like blue with gray, I thought she could work fine with it.
I have seen more square rooms done with stripes. In fact our daughter did a childs room with the wide blue stripes. One stripe was a satin and one a flat. So you get just a mild, mild line. You barely can see it at all. When a person does though, she gets compliments galore.
Since the room looks narrow...I just wouldn't have a stripe at all. But, if I had any it would be the mild lines, vertical stripe.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I actually like the blue. I like gray too and I like them together. I don't mind stripes. It's bold and modern. But as mentioned, my problem is the stripes don't enhance the room's architecture. It's a big gesture for a small room and a little overwhelming.

If she digs the stripes then maybe tone them down a couple of shades. It's high contrast and really brings the walls forward, when they should be a muted backdrop. The walls will compete with anything you put on them, creating dissonance. Kind of an incessant peripheral presence.

But I see where she was going and I appreciate it, so compromise is a victory here. Home is always gonna involve fits and starts, and fortunately paint is easy to adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating