U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM

8,633 posts, read 9,944,684 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to an apt & will get to furnish & decorate all from scratch since I'll be buying all new furniture & decorative items. My apt won't be that big (about 700 sq ft). First, I was thinking of putting a small bistro table & 2 chairs in the dining area & then having a separate office area w/ desk in the corner of the main room.

But to save on space, I later thought of combining it & maybe getting a good sized, longer table to put my computer on 1 end & still have room enough for 2 people to eat on. But I want all the seating to face one way towards the TV. I'll never have much company over.

What do you guys think I shoud do?

Choice 1 - Have small bistro table w/ 2 chairs to dine at AND a separate desk & office space & I'd want my office area to look similar to this:

OR

Choice 2 - Have just 1 good sized, table long enough to keep a desktop computer on & 2 chairs so they can all face 1 way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,401,243 times
Which will get more use, the desk feature or the eating feature? I say get a functional desk that you can close up when you have company (armoire set up) and buy a small, wooden folding table and a couple nice chairs for any possible visitors down the road. You can use the chairs in the living room or put the in your bedroom while not in use, the table will fold up and go into a closet. Just get a nice tablecloth to use on the table.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM

I'll use a desk a LOT more often because I'm on the computer daily. Heck, I eat sitting on the sofa on a fold-up wooden TV table in front of the TV every night these days & have no problem w/ that.

I just want to have as much floor/open space as possible since my place won't be that big to start with. Yes, a nice, easliy fold-up slightly larger table for rare visitors will be nice (in addition to a permanent office desk). Thanks for the idea.

Other comments about my 2 choices?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM

134 posts, read 250,146 times
ForeverBlue - this is exactly what I'm struggling with!!!!

We are downsizing, moving from a home with a nice sized dining room, with a dining table and chairs I just love. We're moving to a retirement community and the "so-called" living/dining space is almost a perfect square, but inadequate to lay out a distinct living and dining area. We've been struggling with what to do with the dining table. We will have another room, labeled "den" on floorplans and we're planning on turning that into office for two people - in other words, two work spaces. We've made decision to use dining table in the office, and attempt to merge the functions of dining and office. My husband and I were talking about how to make this happen several days ago. I mentioned I've seen fabulous dining rooms (granted in fabulous homes) where the dining area is in a library area. We've been mulling over how to design an attractive, functional room to serve as an office and dining room. It might be a strange combination, but I'm hoping to make it work! I've collected tons of office photos, gathering ideas. Have you ever looked at the Houzz website? They have lots of office type photos and that's where I've gotten many ideas.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,771,949 times
I have a different solution.

Do the larger table set up you have in the picture above for a desk. It's attractive. You use the desk more than you do a dining table. But having that large table as a desk allows for you to entertaining a full dinner party on rare occassions.

My solution for daily eating or an occassional guest is one of the following ideas.

Large square coffee table with floor pillows for seating:

Coffee table specifically designed to pop up for eating while sitting on the sofa:

Two comfortable chairs in the livingroom for daily sitting with a high/large end table between them to eat at via moving chairs to face table:

Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 AM

Thanks a lot guys! Those are things to think about.

bluecar, to answer your question, yes, I have found out about the Houzz site. I have it bookmarked, so I'll refer back to it from time to time to get more ideas.

Hopes, thanks for those 3 different ideas. For the living area, I want a regular sofa that's not too long because only 2 people will be sitting on it 99.9% of the time, yet I've had a loveseat for unteen years & want something longer than that this time. I didn't want to have a coffee table to take up more floor space, but rather 2 not too large end tables, but I do like that 2nd pic idea w/ the coffee table that folds up to have a table to eat on. I just wish the whole coffee table could disappear though when I'm not eating, so I can have the space. Sitting on the floor to eat would probably bo OK occasionally or for a short time, but I'm afraid I'll soon tire of that. I literally live in my den almost 24/7 & eat on a TV table. I'm only in my bedroom to sleep. (That's kind of why I wouldn't mind a studio apt actually, but there's not many at all in my city. The only one of an OK size at 800 sq ft is more than I want to pay a month.)

ANY other ideas anyone!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'll never have much company over.
Me either. The only company I have ever had over, is my companion and even he does not come over often (we tend to go out, instead). I like my solitude and just do not entertain.

What really works for me is to have a place that meets MY needs, not my imaginary guests' needs since there really aren't any. I don't see any upcoming changes to my lifestyle and habits that would change that.

I love your idea of having end tables instead of a coffee table, and in fact that is what I do, too. I have an easy chair that is what I sit on, with a large ottoman for putting my feet up, and end tables on each side of it. I have a laptop computer that I keep on the ottoman, and my desktop computer (and wireless router) is on my desk in another room. I also have a sofa and loveseat in my living room, but could do without them easily since they are seldom if ever used.

I have a kitchenette set in my house that I bought years ago, when I was renting an apartment. You know what I use it for? It's a place to put down the groceries when I first bring them inside. That's all. I have had it for 12 years and no human being has ever eaten at that table. What a waste. I am just not inspired to eat there, myself. I had a dining set that came with the house when I bought it. I used it even less than the kitchenette set, and ended up giving that away to the Salvation Army.

I like Hopes' last solution (two easy chairs and big end table) best of all that have been suggested. Personally I would also add a very small, inobstrusive end table on the other side of whichever chair you plan to sit in most, not so much for looks as for convenience.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 04-22-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,214,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'll use a desk a LOT more often because I'm on the computer daily. Heck, I eat sitting on the sofa on a fold-up wooden TV table in front of the TV every night these days & have no problem w/ that.

I just want to have as much floor/open space as possible since my place won't be that big to start with. Yes, a nice, easliy fold-up slightly larger table for rare visitors will be nice (in addition to a permanent office desk). Thanks for the idea.

Other comments about my 2 choices?

This thread reminds me of a coffee / dining table (adjustable height) I used to have from LigneRoset bought in year 2000... It was originally not black but a whitish grey...

The YoYo2:
Tables - Yo-Yo 2 by Pagnon & PelhaƮtre - Ligne Roset USA

If OP likes to eat at / around the sofa, a coffee / dining table is a flexible space saver.

Then, to save more space... the back of the sofa can have some type of a "back / console table" that can be doubled as a "work/office" table = decor & function.

I would just totally skip the formal dining table if space is tight... just do the japanese / korean culture style thingy of that multi-functional space / room.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 PM

I've got my apt & will move in June 3rd. The sq footage is 702. I'm looking at my floor plan to see how I can place the furniture. I'll have one long wall with no windows that will be about 19-21 feet:

My main concern is placing the sofa, desk & have some place to eat to still have as much floor space as possible. I'm going to try my best to get a sofa that's no more than 73 or so inches long. I will NOT have the fireplace that it shows in the picture, which is good so I'll have that free corner. It looks like the TV will have to go along the short wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating