U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM

501 posts, read 639,832 times
Our fireplace in the family room is the focal point too. There is an overhead spotlight above it. It's on a dimmer switch and looks nice.

Before you have an electrician come in live in the house for a few months. Once you have drapes, furniture and your other lighting sources in place it will make it easier for you to make a decision.

I noticed most of the photos shown have the sconces directly above the fireplace and they look pretty with the simple accessories and framed prints on top of the mantel and love the sconces you picked out. I wouldn't put the double sconces directly over the fireplace though. They would look better on the walls on either side of the FP if you decide to do that.

Buying and decorating a new house is exciting - congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM

24,855 posts, read 30,137,366 times
If you like it, do it! There's a sconce for every style fireplace. If you can, find an actual-size picture of the sconces you're interested in, and before you buy them, tape them up on the wall for a couple of days -- or weeks -- to see how they look.

2cold, your fireplaces are lovely. The way you've decorated them absolutely complements their style.

And I certainly woudn't call 2cold's rooms formal as much as I'd call them traditional. There is a difference.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 673 times
do not put them.. it will look overdone..

Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,197,667 times
It will look fine. I was flipping through some old magazines this weekend and I think Jan/feb This Old House mag had a bunch of fireplaces in there with sconces and they looked very nice. do what you like...

Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 3,456,785 times
If I wanted sconces, I would put in sconces. However, I wouldn't call in an electrician until that wall was completely decorated. Since they'd be going in from scratch and you don't have to work around existing wiring, you have the opportunity to put them precisely where you want them. I would first place what I wanted on the mantle, hang what I wanted above and then decide what the perfect height and spacing for them would be.

It would stink to put in sconces and then find they don't work right with what you want to place on the mantle, or what you want to hang above the fireplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating