Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Central air (and presumably heat, unless you're living somewhere that you don't need heat) kicks up dust every time it comes on too.

The dust is everywhere all the time. An accumulation of dust is what you see on the surfaces after a few days (weeks?), but to think that not having a ceiling fan prevents dust getting into your food, well, I can't see it that way. Too many other things going on in the house all the time (even if you don't have forced-air HVAC) create and contribute to dust. Generally, we don't think about it when we can't see the typical dust buildup that happens on surfaces that are left undisturbed for days, but it's there, in the air, pretty much all the time.

If you leave the fan on a lot, it won't really build up dust on its surfaces.

Note I don't have issues with anyone's personal preferences as far as fans go. Don't want one? Fine! I just feel it's worth trying to blunt a little of this whole "OMG you'll have a bunch of dirt in your food!!!" sidetrack here, to make it clear this is a personal comfort level issue. There are no risks of illnesses from food contamination involved.
heheheh I know... friendly opinions, friendly opinions ya'll.

I am fine with people that want fans too... but even for looks, there are few fans style out there that I will like.

For HVAC not if you know how to maintain it & change out the filters... just like you need to empty out vacuums as well as vacuum your living space on that weekly basis which I am not lazy about (hence explains why I am like that about fans).

My house is actually very shaded & quiet in the woods (even the roads are not well traveled by cars)... thus dust level is minimal.
To top it off, I can count in my 1 hand how many times I actually used the central air (we tried it out after changing the filter just so we tried it for the first time in this new home) last year till today.
I also have radiant floor heat that don't kick up dirt...

Dust (no like) bunny (I love the bunny though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Fan over the dining table is great for when you're hot and playing poker or Monopoly etc...

Exactly! I have ceiling fans in my living room and adjoining dining room for just that reason. Poker nights at the dining room table are much more pleasant with a ceiling fan going.

And, just because you have a ceiling fan over a dining room table doesnt mean you have to use it when you're eating there or any other time when it might be inconvenient to do so.

I realize that many people dont like the looks of a ceiling fan in the dining area but I put this fan in every room (except the bathrooms) and it looks very nice in all of them:

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-23958-5...pr_product_top

Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Exactly! I have ceiling fans in my living room and adjoining dining room for just that reason. Poker nights at the dining room table are much more pleasant with a ceiling fan going.

And, just because you have a ceiling fan over a dining room table doesnt mean you have to use it when you're eating there or any other time when it might be inconvenient to do so.

I realize that many people dont like the looks of a ceiling fan in the dining area but I put this fan in every room (except the bathrooms) and it looks very nice in all of them:

Amazon.com: Hunter Fan 23958 52-Inch Regal Oak Ceiling Fan, Leather Brown: Home Improvement
That's a very pretty fan.

According to the description, it takes (2) 60-watt incandescent candelabra bulbs. That may not be enough light for over a dining table, especially if you do more than just eat at it.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
That's a very pretty fan.

According to the description, it takes (2) 60-watt incandescent candelabra bulbs. That may not be enough light for over a dining table, especially if you do more than just eat at it.

Thanks. It's even lovelier in person. And it's more than enough light in every room. In fact, I have other lighting sources in each room and dont need them when the ceiling fan light is on: kitchen, dining room, living room and bedrooms.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM

293 posts, read 886,511 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. And here I am, back with another option...

I've come to the realization that I rarely use the overhead lights in my current place. Although I have them in every room, I usually only turn on the floor or table lamps. I even will walk across a dark room to turn on the lamp over simply switching on the ceiling light at the door. I don't really like overhead lights, clearly.

So I'm thinking, maybe instead of spending money on a ceiling light fixture that I won't hardly ever use, I should just cover the holes up with a simple ceiling medallion and get the electrician to rewire the wall light switches to an electrical socket. That way I can flip on a floor lamp when I come into the room.

What do you all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating