Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM

12,705 posts, read 14,883,180 times

Advertisements

I'll be buying a new sofa soon & I need you guys' help. Here's my requirements:

- Smaller width for small apt living room
- Must have armrests
- Like to have a matching ottoman
- Modern-looking, yet comfy & cozy
- A bold color, NOT the typical boring brown, tan, cream, white, black, but maybe gray
- Maybe microfiber because I have a small dog. No leather, I'm sick of leather!

I you know what furniture stores typically carry those, I'll take a look! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 AM

928 posts, read 3,438,291 times
Hi Forever!

If you are asking the board to help you shop, then knowing your price point would be key. Another critical piece of information would be your taste and style. There is a whole spectrum of micro-styles within the "modern" genre, and I've met people who think that arts and crafts is very modern and others who think that traditional is contemporary. Can you post a picture of a room you like from the internet? Look around on Houzz.com for ideas.

Unless you are shopping off of Amazon.com or at Value City furniture, which have no options, you will have a choice of fabrics. If you are shopping from these stores, then just enter the keywords you typed above and you will probably find all of the options available to you.

If you use the sofa regularly, I think that sitting in the sofa before purchasing it, is critical. The Ikea Ektorp sofa's "look" very comfy to me, but I hate the way it sits. Others love that sofa.

Regarding the armrest, what do you mean by this? Most sofa have some sort of arm. What sort of arm are you looking for, a high arm (also called a deep arm) which creates an inside corner that you can rest your entire body against, or a medium sized arm (24" high)?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,601,058 times
We have this in the loveseat, although if I'm not mistaken the 77" that this runs in sofa length is still fairly short: Rowe Collections | Sofas & Couches | Capri Sofa The color you see there is the color we have, I think, roughly. I don't remember what the composition of the fabric is, although I know the clean codes do not allow us to clean with water. Even so, we use it every day, plus we do have a cat in the house. It seems like it will hold up okay, guess it's been a couple years now. Mine was a closeout so I bought an already built piece with that fabric that was in stock at the furniture store warehouse, but other than that you can have many choices of fabric.

You'll need a decent price range for this though. It's good quality, made in the US, serious furniture. I figured I was due for some after years of cheap crap.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,674,452 times
^^^Right on about "quality" furniture as investments.

Nicoletti Italia.com - The Official Website -

I have them since 2 weeks before 9-11 (first house), more than 10 years now (even from moving 4 more times)... still looks like new (in my formal living room in the new house).

Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Hi guys! I'm definitely going to visit this store (below link) because it has the largest selection I've ever seen & their prices are not too bad & I like many styles of their red leather sofas:

Modern furniture for contemporary bedroom, living room & dining room. Find italian sofas & beds furniture

My new apt won't be big (700 sq ft in total), so the living room will be even smaller of course. I'd like the sofa to be probably no more than 80" wide. Since I have a dog, I may just get leather again & I'd get red leather as said above! I'm definitely not afraid of color! I also want one of those overhanging floor lamps. I love modern, contemporary w/ a bit of beachy/tropical mixed in.

When I say armrests, I like rests that are thick & soft enough to comfortably rest your arm on. I'd love a sectional, but I don't want to take up a lot of floor space. I'll be sitting on this sofa 99% of the time I'm at home. I also want a nice abstract designed rug.

To give you an idea of what I like too, I really like www.cb2.com and certain things from www.westelm.com and www.pier1.com but Pier 1 Imports is overpriced to me.

I want this desk in my office area: Zentra Collection Small & Home Office Furniture exclusively at OfficeMax

I hope this gives you a better idea & one last thing...! Here's my floor plan:

Old 05-02-2012, 09:56 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,112,261 times
Macy's has apartment sized sofas. I believe the name is Remo and they have a wide range of colors. It meets the criteria you posted.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/r...llet&ID=252662

Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 AM

928 posts, read 3,438,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for all the information. I think you have a great start already! Take a look at baker also for some inspiration. They are a bit more contemporary/traditional, but they have some pieces that lean modern.
Baker Furniture : Sofas & Loveseats : Baker Upholstery : Browse Products

I especially like their reeded sofa:
Baker Furniture : Reeded Base Sofa - 826-90 : Sofas & Loveseats : Baker Upholstery : Browse Products

Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Any other suggestions!?

The sofa will be the most important purchase of all my furniture because I'll be using it the most & I want it to be comfortable & stylish!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM

2,118 posts, read 4,161,230 times
Check out Apartment sofas - Small sofas - Simplicity Sofas I have seen these and they are well made. Youtube has a bunch of testimonials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating