U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 17,252 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a home. The kitchen has beautiful cherry wood floors and maple wood cabinets. Unfortunately, the previous owners had terrible taste beyond that. The back splash, while very nice, features a few tiles with pictures of pheasants or other wilderness themes. The paint color, counter tops, and trim could all use some updating or improvements.

I've added on a picture. We'd like to keep the existing floor and cabinets. What are some good color themes, back splash tiles, and slabs of granite that would mesh well with the existing floor/cabinets? Furthermore, we are planning on remodeling the adjacent family room as well. Ideas to blend the two together in terms of flooring and color?

The kitchen has some great potential with a small investment...
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Redesign Help-2.jpg   Kitchen Redesign Help-18.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM

10,483 posts, read 40,506,825 times
Welcome back after 5yrs!

That's very monochromatic.

I see black in your future!
Black Galaxy counters and backsplash
Black and stainless or just Black appl's. and stainless hardware.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM

27,433 posts, read 61,931,473 times
This is a tough one because your kitchen has some yucky traffic patterns that would make me want to blow the whole thing up instead of dealing with finish issues piecemeal. Looks like there are stairs to the basement, passage way to the dining room that will be blocked by dishwasher when open, passage way to family room that will be blocked by fridge when open, and then some kind of glass that looks out to the back, possibly with a second sink and dinky breakfast bar nearby...

Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
This is a tough one because your kitchen has some yucky traffic patterns that would make me want to blow the whole thing up instead of dealing with finish issues piecemeal. Looks like there are stairs to the basement, passage way to the dining room that will be blocked by dishwasher when open, passage way to family room that will be blocked by fridge when open, and then some kind of glass that looks out to the back, possibly with a second sink and dinky breakfast bar nearby...
Yep... Unfortunately, we aren't going to have the funding to blow it up and start over. The three bathrooms are extremely dated and will need attention first. By the time we get to the kitchen, it will probably be 4-5 years down the road. Therefore, we need to work with what we have.

Granted 5 years from now I'll finally finish my training, we'll sell this place, and move into something a "little" nicer.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Welcome back after 5yrs!

That's very monochromatic.

I see black in your future!
Black Galaxy counters and backsplash
Black and stainless or just Black appl's. and stainless hardware.
Thanks for the input.

We aren't huge fans of black granite. Any other ideas?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM

If you are planning to move anyhow than it would be MADNESS to waste money on changing anything. Basically, from a "sell this place" sort of view, the cabinets are clearly updates, as are the recessed lighting, flooring, tile backsplash, SS dishwasher and breakfast bar. MAYBE you could upgrade the counters but honestly if you spend more than even $2500 you WILL NOT get your money back out ESPECIALLY in a 5 year timeframe.

I know that the Iowa City real estate market is pretty "compressed" with places close to the hospital often getting snatched up by doctors / professors for top dollar, places suitable for renting to students in strong demand by investors, and "regular houses" generally in demand by folks that want good schools and easy access to work BUT this place is NEVER going to hold much appeal to highly paid physicians, is already too nice for landlord/ investor SO your target is going to be the price conscious shopper and it looks good enough for them RIGHT NOW so...

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM

The cabinets are new and of high quality... so I hate to say this... but would it be worth painting the cabinets white? I think they would look great with the cherry floors and give us more flexibility in our granite, back splash, and paint choices. Thoughts?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are planning to move anyhow than it would be MADNESS to waste money on changing anything. Basically, from a "sell this place" sort of view, the cabinets are clearly updates, as are the recessed lighting, flooring, tile backsplash, SS dishwasher and breakfast bar. MAYBE you could upgrade the counters but honestly if you spend more than even $2500 you WILL NOT get your money back out ESPECIALLY in a 5 year timeframe.

I know that the Iowa City real estate market is pretty "compressed" with places close to the hospital often getting snatched up by doctors / professors for top dollar, places suitable for renting to students in strong demand by investors, and "regular houses" generally in demand by folks that want good schools and easy access to work BUT this place is NEVER going to hold much appeal to highly paid physicians, is already too nice for landlord/ investor SO your target is going to be the price conscious shopper and it looks good enough for them RIGHT NOW so...
Just relocated. Now living in Denver. We bought the home for $265,000. The updated homes in this neighborhood sell for ~$300,000.

I'm just not a fan of the maple cabinets with cherry flooring. We will definitely put in granite counter tops for our own use, but want to limit any major overhaul to the flooring/cabinets.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM

I am not as familiar with Denver area real estate trends however based on price alone I would not mess with the cabinets. They look plenty "mainstream" and frankly MANY more people would prefer stained maple over painted at the either your current price point OR the "updated" target of $300K -- pretty much every shopper that would PREFER painted would be OK doing that themselves AFTER they buy the place at either price point while a WHOLE BUNCH would be turned off by having paint (which is basically not undoable w/o a lot more time/ mess)...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM

922 posts, read 2,894,700 times
I would put hardware on the cabinets (maybe some nickel knobs).
Steel grey granite is really pretty (google it) and might look cool with your cabinets.
Then those long skinny tiles for the backsplash (some are glass or ceramic or mixed). Google those too.

If you go to Houzz.com, they have a lot of beautiful kitchens and you can get ideas there too. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating