U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:35 PM

11,620 posts, read 8,929,810 times
Default Now with PHOTOS!

OK, I've attached a photo.

This is how bright it is in the late afternoon. I was standing in the den, so you can see how tight this space is, with 8-foot ceilings and the world's tiniest ceiling fan.

I have not done anything to the kitchen except throw up the requisite pottery above the cabinets. Check out those polished brass knobs!

I know you might have a million suggestions for this space, but I really am limited to cabinets and backsplash now. Remember, floors will be hardwood next month.

Y'all don't be jealous!

And thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
White appliances: What color to paint the kitchen cabinets?-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM

11,620 posts, read 8,929,810 times
Default Moved

Thanks for all your help.

I have started a new thread so folks will know there's a photo attached.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM

5,208 posts, read 7,431,009 times
Some inspiration....

Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM

7,290 posts, read 4,697,089 times
Green is not good in a kitchen (subconsciously suggests bile) . . . basic color psychology.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,054,485 times
I loved CAT's dark brown wood counters & floor pic. I myself actually prefer dark brown cabinets and dark brown furniture in general, with white wall colors in main living areas (colors in bedroom areas).

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM

11,994 posts, read 10,817,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I love an all-white kitchen.....then things like wood, silver, a beautiful green plant, colorful textiles - they look great against the white and you can change them out with almost no color limitation. Also an all white kitchen can go many ways design-wise - contemporary and austere, cottagy, country, traditional, etc.

I really like this kitchen (which has been featured in Country Living and other magazines) - they have stainless appliances but white would work:

A Country Farmhouse: The Kitchen

Note the butcherblock counters - the wood with the white and stainless is quite beautiful.

I am sooooooooooo loving the open shelving in that kitchen. It is so pretty. Oh, I am getting ideas.....and this is the reason I cant seem to get my kitchen, I keep getting ideas and changing my mind every six seconds.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM

868 posts, read 2,032,366 times
Leave the cabinets white, but change the hardward and faucet to oil rubbed bronze. Also change the backsplash to something more neutral. I think the cabinets will be okay once your hardwood floors are in because you will see more contrast.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 AM

5,219 posts, read 11,004,452 times
Gigimac - I agree that contrast with the white cabinets and wood floors and counters is striking yet simple.

Nightcrawler - the open shelving is something I love too - I have a cabinet next to my sink that I have been thinking of removing and replacing with open shelving....the cabinet holds stacks and stacks of white dishes that I use every day and for parties (buffets)....those dishes could just as easily be on open shelving as in the cabinet.....I'm just chicken to do it :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating