Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Let me give you yet another perspective, studies show that most folks repaint the interior of the home every 6 years. An interior paint doesn't have to deal with rain, direct sun usually everyday, major temperature changes, freeborn dirt, it just has to look clean and pretty. Even El Cheapo interior paints will last that long. Most folks repaint, per studies, due to being tired of the color. If you fit the average mold, why spend more than you have to on paint you'll be covering up in a few years anyway?
I respectfully disagree. When I used cheap paint, scuff marks didnt come off easily and I ended up repainting every 2 yrs. I did change the color but it was more or less an excuse because the walls needed to be painted anyway. Since switching to quality paint, Im currently going on my 6th year. The house was painted 2 yrs before I moved in. Scuffs come off rather easily. I still like the color so I haven't had the urge to repaint yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,544 times
Quote:
Let me give you yet another perspective, studies show that most folks repaint the interior of the home every 6 years. An interior paint doesn't have to deal with rain, direct sun usually everyday, major temperature changes, freeborn dirt, it just has to look clean and pretty. Even El Cheapo interior paints will last that long. Most folks repaint, per studies, due to being tired of the color. If you fit the average mold, why spend more than you have to on paint you'll be covering up in a few years anyway?

It's not always about how long paint will last as it is the quality of the paint. Your "El Cheapo" paints will usually require multiple coats,remember labor is 97% of the paint job. Yes,even if you're doing it yourself time is $. Unless you're just "freshening up" your house to sell it why skimp. The average bed rm requires 2 gals. to finish the walls so even if a good quality paint was $10.00 more per gal. is it worth cheapening out for $20.00

Also when painting deeper colors, cheaper paint will burnish ( white marks ) when rubbed up against where quality paints won't. Touching up scuffs will also blend much better and you won't have to repaint the entire wall.

While interior paints aren't susceptible to the weather,they still need do be durable enough for kids,pets,vacuums bumping into the walls,food, & wine stains....Use a cheapo paint and those wine stains are going to need to be primed then repainted. With a paint like Cashmere or Aura,if you get to it fairly quick it'll wipe rite off.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times

There's nothin' better!

So, "as the beat goes on..."
"Try a little tenderness"- use the "search this forum box"!
Here's a sampling-

What's the best paint brand?
First time painter
Sherwin Williams - Benjamin Moore - Lowes - Etc
Best paint brand
Favorite brand of paint?
Best Brand of Interior Paint??
What is the best brand of house paint?
What are the best interior paint brands, quality-wise? Also, has anyone used the Ralph Lauren textured paints?

Enough said!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,631 times
We use BM. Love their colors!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
We use BM. Love their colors!!!
Are you implying that only BM colors will do for you?
Because any paint supplier can mix a BM color for any brand of paint. They all use the same tints. So, when it comes to color I'd just assume go to WallyWorld and pay $15/gal instead of paying a BM retailer $39.50/gal.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM

327 posts, read 774,175 times
I don't paint for a living but I've painted quite a bit. As a teenager I had odd jobs where I would paint, but I'll just share my experience with my first two homes that I owned.

My first house I used Behr because I didn't know any better. Even after two coats I didn't have good coverage and I noticed walls weren't entirely uniform. The paint was mixed properly and the color was fine, but the sheen wasn't even. After purchasing my second house, I painted the entire upstairs with Sherwin Williams. I also finished the basement and used SW paints and primers for the basement. I'll never go back to Behr again. The paint is much easier to work with, requires fewer coats, and is more uniform. My first purchase at the SW store was around $700 and they set me up an account and I get a discount. I don't know how much, I think it's the same discount that a farm co-op would get. I know I've taken the internet coupons into the SW store and my discount is better than those, so it wouldn't at least hurt to ask.

Right now we're having our third house built. Our builder uses SW, but I've seen others that use Benjamin Moore, Pittsburgh, etc. You will never find one that uses a big box paint.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,205 times
I actually like the Valspar line of paint from Lowes and i have used both BM and SW in the past. I have been able to paint both my living room and bedroom in one coat with Valspar and the SW an dBM both needed 2 coats. I wasn't doing a drastic color change either.

I tend to have Lowes match the paint colors.

The ACE hardware Royal line also got good reviews as a "budget" paint from many websites. I am currently repainting my mom's old house, and am doing a lot of painting and priming.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Most of the painters that I speak to seem to think that the quality paint sold in Home Depot and Lowes are not as good as those from the specialty stores like Sherwin Williams or Duron paint. Does anyone know what percent of that argument is true? If you had to buy interior paint would you feel comfortable buying a brand sold by Lowes or Home Depot?
First of all, most professional painters buy Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, and/or Pittsburgh paints. One reason is because those companies cater specifically to the professionals. Even so, the paint is good.

Also, there is a difference between the durability requirements of exterior and interior paints. Interior paint does not have to stand up to extreme elements, including direct sun. You can get by with a lesser quality interior paint, though I would certainly steer clear of the very bottom-end stuff.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
You have described my wife to a T. Actually, she's more apt to go ever 3-4 years.

She likes to paint, and does a fantastic job of it. Over the past 30 years, I've learned to just shut up, get out of the way, and let her do what she wants. The results are always good, regardless of what paint she uses.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I respectfully disagree. When I used cheap paint, scuff marks didnt come off easily and I ended up repainting every 2 yrs. I did change the color but it was more or less an excuse because the walls needed to be painted anyway. Since switching to quality paint, Im currently going on my 6th year. The house was painted 2 yrs before I moved in. Scuffs come off rather easily. I still like the color so I haven't had the urge to repaint yet.
Part of that has to do with the sheen, as well as the quality.

Most professional painters prefer using flat paint for interior walls. It's the "standard," but it also hides imperfections. But flat paint is a little harder to clean.

I prefer satin finish on interior walls, and semi-gloss for trim. In bathrooms & kitchens, however, we prefer semi-gloss on the walls as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating