Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 91,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
The details on the Macy's site are very vague and generalized. I wouldn't expect a sales person at a department store to know much about furniture construction. I've quizzed the sales staff at the local Carson Pirie Scott furniture gallery (now owned by Bloomingdales) and they didn't understand much about different types of furniture construction methods or what made one better than another.

I love this line on the Macy's page:
* All dimensions listed are approximate

That's rich. I'm not sure how much leeway they are giving themselves here.

Having worked in Macy's furniture for over 13 years, I obviously find your statement to be a bad generalization at best. Working at a furniture store does not make one more informed than someone working in a department store in the furniture department full-time. As for the sizes being approximate, if you measure 10 Milan sofas or any other sofa for that matter, they will not all have the exact same measurement. If you measure 10 queen size mattresses, which are listed at 60" x 80", you may find that not a single one of them is actually 60" x 80".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 13,513 times
Do you have experience with the Stacey modular sofa?? I'm a little skeptical now.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,938,892 times
I don't want to be a downer, but I haven't been impressed with the quality of what I have seen in Macy's furniture department.

Before you buy, I'd go to a store that carries Thomasville, LazyBoy, Drexel or other of the better furniture lines. If you shop at a furniture store, you can ask the sales person loads of questions, perhaps see cross sections of constructed pieces, and learn a lot. Don't buy until you are confident about the product you are buying.

Look long and hard before you buy.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 13,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluuzman View Post
I have worked for Macy's in the furniture department for over 13 years now and we have always had numerous Chateau D'ax product on our floor. If it were poor quality or we were to have an inordinate amount of complaints about their products, I wouldn't sell them because a return does me zero good. There are mattresses I won't sell for that reason, as an example. We sell more leather than anything else and we sell more Chateau D'ax and it's not even close. I know this thread started a year ago, but we have the Milan on our floor and it is one of Chateau's best sofas if not their best sofa, it is on sale for $1499. There are certainly better-made sofas out there, so one's price point will come into play. The Milan is not a top seller at my location because it has a certain look that the customer has to be looking for, but it is 100% Italian leather all the way around, no vinyl sides, no pleather, no bonded leather. I have never had a single customer issue with the cushions or frame breaking down, in or out of warranty.
I see that this thread is a bit old but the Milan is exactly why I was googling about this manufacturer and found this thread. The sides and back are bonded leather; only the seating area isn't. The cushions are indenting after 4 years of wear and need to their padding replaced. There are numbers of people complaining online that Macys won't do anything about these complaints. Even on the macys.com website there are a few reviews of people with cushion problems like me. I also had after only a year some cracks/rips in the bad of the sofa after the first year.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks for sharing. IMO, it is best to buy from a reputable furniture store that stands behind what it sells.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,166,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me-anon View Post
I see that this thread is a bit old but the Milan is exactly why I was googling about this manufacturer and found this thread. The sides and back are bonded leather; only the seating area isn't. The cushions are indenting after 4 years of wear and need to their padding replaced. There are numbers of people complaining online that Macys won't do anything about these complaints. Even on the macys.com website there are a few reviews of people with cushion problems like me. I also had after only a year some cracks/rips in the bad of the sofa after the first year.
Fortunately, I received great feedback on this thread and cancelled my Milan order.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 24,489 times
I also see that this thread is a few years old but I recently purchased a leather, power motion sofa, loveseat and recliner made by Chateau D'Ax from Darvin Furniture store in Orland Park, Illinois. It has no name just a model number CFO: 4568. It appears to be sturdy. Has the manufacturing process and leather used improved since you last reviewed it? Paid a couple of thousand for each piece and would like to know I bought something of decent quality.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM

If the store where you purchased it stands behind its merchandise, then I think you will be OK. Did the store sales person explain how the things you bought were constructed?
Is it actual leather front and back? Or is it bonded leather or vinyl on the back?

It is possible that what was sold at Macy's is of lower quality than what is sold in stores.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 24,489 times
Thanks for your comments. I have bought several pieces of furniture from them over the years with no problems. The sales person indicated they had just received this line as a new item 2 days before the New Year's sale. I haven't taken delivery yet so I will ask the questions you suggested before I take delivery. Thanks again! Happy New Year!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 AM

545 posts, read 508,614 times
We have the Milan sectional. It gets abused by family daily and two large dogs and keeps on trucking. We have had it about 6 years if not more. It is a good piece of furniture. I think my mother in law paid $1,800 for it on sale. You can't go wrong with it. Very good leather as well. Still has the awesome leather smell after all of these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating