Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

I've seen this in decor magazines, i.e. white grout used on wall tiles and a darker grout used on the floor tiles, but that is when the tiles are from the same color family.

I have a pink bathroom in a 50s house that has all of the original bathroom suite and tile work. The tile is in good shape except for the tile on the floor, which is pitted and has lost its sheen. I'm told it can't be refinished to its former glory and have been considering having it replaced with white tile.

First of all, I'm concerned about how a pink toilet is going to look mounted on a white tile floor, but that's just one issue.

The tiling on the walls is that bubblegum Mamie Eisenhower pink from the 50s with white grout and some blue-gray accent tile. The tile on the floor is the same shade as that on the wall with white grout. If I do have the floor re-tiled, I don't want white grout because it's impossible to keep clean. It always looks dingy on a floor, and to get it clean to my satisfaction I have to get on my hands and knees with a grout brush. I don't want to do that anymore.

So...white grout on walls, darker grout (like maybe a gray) on the floor? Anyone? I'd be replacing square tiles with medium-sized hexagonal tiles, or possibly penny rounds.

Appreciate any opinions/advice, including "leave well enough alone" or "Who says you can't refinish that!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think you might be able to get away with a darker grout and the hexagonal tile -- there is kinda expectation that there will be contrast with that style. I would NOT use rounds -- too much grout and too much contrast.

I also would NOT spend too much on this as more than likely no one is gonna want a pink toilet and even pink tile is high on most people's list of "design no-no "... Any chance you can afford a full redo?? Might be money well spent if you are thinking of selling in the next 5 years or so...

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think you might be able to get away with a darker grout and the hexagonal tile -- there is kinda expectation that there will be contrast with that style. I would NOT use rounds -- too much grout and too much contrast.

I also would NOT spend too much on this as more than likely no one is gonna want a pink toilet and even pink tile is high on most people's list of "design no-no "... Any chance you can afford a full redo?? Might be money well spent if you are thinking of selling in the next 5 years or so...
No...in fact I am very vehement about keeping the pink suite. I even took the 'Save the Pink Bathrooms' pledge on the Retro Renovation website.

I'm not planning on moving anytime soon but if I did, I don't think it would matter if I had re-tiled the floor or not since buyers who would be put off by a pink bathroom with pink tile floor would be equally put off by a pink bathroom with white tile floor. I am certainly not going to remodel a functioning bathroom because I won't make that money back if I do sell anytime soon, and the house will sell with its original bathroom...and the amount I'd be "dinged" for having a retro bathroom is almost certain to be less than what a reno would cost. Plus, any reno would be to MY taste, whereas a buyer wanting to tear out the pink bathroom would be able to impart THEIR tastes.

I appreciate the feedback though!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I think grey grout would be OK. God knows it winds up that color anyway.

I'm guessing it's quite a chore to find pink floor tiiles. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I also would NOT spend too much on this as more than likely no one is gonna want a pink toilet and even pink tile is high on most people's list of "design no-no "... Any chance you can afford a full redo?? Might be money well spent if you are thinking of selling in the next 5 years or

Bite your tongue! (or your fingers) Save the pink bathroom!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
Are you sure you want a white tile floor? I only ask this because I have two bathrooms with white ceramic tile that were put in by the builder and they are a complete pain in the neck to keep clean. They show everything.

To keep the orignal look of the bathroom why don't you have the floor refinished? The floor already matches the walls keeping the look that you love and I know it will be less maintanence.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Save the Pink Bathroom has sources for pink tile. What about retro black and white tile?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
Are you sure you want a white tile floor? I only ask this because I have two bathrooms with white ceramic tile that were put in by the builder and they are a complete pain in the neck to keep clean. They show everything.

To keep the orignal look of the bathroom why don't you have the floor refinished? The floor already matches the walls keeping the look that you love and I know it will be less maintanence.
In my original post I said I'd been told that it wasn't possible. For what reason I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Save the Pink Bathroom has sources for pink tile. What about retro black and white tile?
I've seen those, but that tile does not match mine. Black and white tile would be an option if all I had was pink tile, but I don't. I have pink tile with an accent tile line in a blue-gray color.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 PM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In my original post I said I'd been told that it wasn't possible. For what reason I don't know.
Oops sorry I misread your post. Yeah it is a shame they can't be restored.
Have you considered a light grey tile that will match both the walls and the fixtures? Grey would work well with pink.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
Oops sorry I misread your post. Yeah it is a shame they can't be restored.
Have you considered a light grey tile that will match both the walls and the fixtures? Grey would work well with pink.
Yeah, but I really want white. I'm going to lean on people and ask why the tile can't be restored. It seems to me like they should be able to do it.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I live in Southern Arizona where lots of people have tile throughout their homes. Tile and grout "refinishing" is big business here. It's amazing what a professional in that area can do. Did one of them tell you the tile can't be restored? I'd be reluctant to take the word of someone with no experience in the area.

I just did a quick search "tile refinishing richardson texas" and got some hits. The Grout Doctor Services of Plano, Dalworth who says they do tile and grout cleaning, Pro Tile of Lewisville, Cyclone Pro, both Richardson Marble and Uptown Wood Floors say they also restore tile. Some of the higher-end tile retailers like Daltile, Ann Sacks, and Walker Zanger are probably in the Dallas area. Perhaps they can recommend a restorer.

I'm also a Save the Pink Bathrooms fan and would say, "Never give up." To which I'd also add, "White grout is the devil's handiwork."

Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating