Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthByNortheast View Post
I had 4 rooms in my house painted yesterday. I did all the "right" things before choosing the colors; matched them to our area rug (the thing we wanted to base all our colors on), went through all the swatches, bought sample cans and painted huge poster boards and hung them up for a few days. I really thought we had this one covered.

I love the way the back bedroom turned out, but I'm not happy with the other three rooms. I now feel I should have gone one shade less bright on the sage greens I picked for the foyer and living room, and I was super disappointed to see that once the whole dining room was painted the gray color we chose, that the color looks way more blue than the warm brown undertones I was going for.

I could have the painter back, and essentially pay again, or...what are some other options? If I bought the new colors and painted over it myself, would I be able to get away with only one coat, given that the colors are so similar in the grand scheme of things, and given that all the walls were just washed, prepped, and painted yesterday? Or do I need to do two coats? I'm assuming I don't need to worry about primer...

The other thing is, the eggshell is way shinier than I thought it would be, and way shinier than the eggshell in our old place. If I got the new colors in flat, would that effect any of the process?

Help...we want to get this done before all our furniture gets moved over next week...
that is the reason you go ahead and buy smae quarts or pnts of colors you think you like and paint patches next to other colors i room and wait a copule of day for color to full show exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
I repeat:

Go to the beach for a week.
When you come back find something else to do rather than worry about paint colors.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Tough call. It won't seem as bright once your stuff is in. I picked out a lovely blue for my bathroom and it seemed REALLY bright until I got all the decor, etc. moved in. But if you are really hating the dining room color, I would go ahead and repaint. Hard to say if you'll need one coat or two. If it's just one room, I would do it myself, although hiring someone sounds nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating