U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 AM

501 posts, read 702,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The living room picture really shows how perfect those floors are for your rooms. The color is beautiful as is. A light sanding and a couple coats of polyurethane is all I'd do, if that.
I agree that is a nice color floor and it looks comtempory. Floor refinishers can do a light "skim" refinishing and with the polyurethane they will look really nice.

If the OP insists on restaining it, would better to wait until new cabinets are installed in the kitchen. In the meantime an area rug around your kitchen table would look nice and add some color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,874,588 times
You cant tell from the pics, but the floor is very beat up in the kitchen, especially under the table, so it definetly needs to be done. None of the furniture is mine, I will be moving in next week and probably purchasing everything new. I might just refinish there floors and not stain them, and save up some pennys to get the cabinets done and add a backsplash down the road. I wanted to put mostly dark cherry and black furniture in the living room and kitchen, so I'm not too sure how it will look with light floors and white walls.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM

147 posts, read 198,591 times
I would stain them in a heartbeat. In fact, we are in the process of refinishing and stainging our oak floors. As long as you maintain a no shoes policy they will be fine. And beautiful!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM

125 posts, read 147,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The living room picture really shows how perfect those floors are for your rooms. The color is beautiful as is. A light sanding and a couple coats of polyurethane is all I'd do, if that.
I agree with Ohiogirl. If you do stain, I'd be careful with cherry. The gold tones in your kitchen cabinet might really bring out the red in cherry floors.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I really am more torn now then ever. Whereas I would love to have darker floors (picture fallingwater posted looks perfect), I just dont know if it will mesh well with everything on this floor, plus all the compliments on the current colors didnt help. Kind of looking for a 'wow' factor that you get when you walk into condos in Chicago (hard to explain). I personally would like to hire an interior designer for ideas, but the gf is against it. I will have the floor people coming out next week, so hopefully they can give some recommendations

Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 PM

614 posts, read 1,357,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I really am more torn now then ever. Whereas I would love to have darker floors (picture fallingwater posted looks perfect), I just dont know if it will mesh well with everything on this floor, plus all the compliments on the current colors didnt help. Kind of looking for a 'wow' factor that you get when you walk into condos in Chicago (hard to explain). I personally would like to hire an interior designer for ideas, but the gf is against it. I will have the floor people coming out next week, so hopefully they can give some recommendations
Why is she against it? I'm a design student in Chicago and most of the reason's I hear people state as to why they don't want to hire someone are based on inaccurate assumptions. For instance, if you are thinking of having your floors refinished and stained darker, you will spend a minimum of $1500. For $200 most designers will consult with you on colors and selections, even if you are not having a larger job done. They can recommend a contractor who they trust and use for projects. And believe me, recommending contractors is something designers do carefully because a bad referral is just as bad for the designer as for the contractor.

If you want a referral, PM me. One of my NKBA professors owns a kitchen and bath design firm in Chicago. He's a really good guy, very talented and has lots of connections. He teaches at for universities locally.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 4,945,999 times
I have had a lot of different hardwood floors. Lots of different woods and colours. I have to tell you that although dark floors look good I hate hate hate them. They show every single little mark. Every little piece of lint and every particle of dust sticks out like a sore thumb. I had one house where I refinished the entire main floor oak floors a dark walnut. It was alot of work and 6 months later I sanded tham all down again and refinished them natural oak. You would think I would have learned my lesson but 2 houses later I let my wife talk me into a Brazlian cherry flooring. Lots of it, 1600 sq ft. Any way I hated it. I walked around the house with a swiffer everywhere I went trying to erase footprints, dust, watermarks etc. My next house I had built and the whole house except a few tiled rooms was midbrown maple. Just horrible to try to keep nice. I worked hours to clean and shine them before the people who bought the house came to see it. I stopped in to see them 3 months after they moved in. "We love the house" they said, "except, we think there must be something wrong with these floors. They are impossible to clean". LOL I showed them how to clean the floors and I said, "there is nothing wrong with them, it's just what you get with a midbrown maple floor. Lots and lots of work.

I just got back home from helping my daughter and family move into a brand new house they had built. Sure enough, all the floors are the same midbrown maple. Because I was there to help them I cleaned the open concept mainfloor floors. It took me 4 hours of wiping, drying and buffing with a dry cloth to make them look the way they should look. When I left 3 days later they were as bad as they were when I got there.

OK, so I bought another new house a year and a half ago. I have had it up to here with these hardwood floors so this time I bought a house that is all natural oak floors. These floors could be covered with dirt, dust, crumbs and animal hair and you would never see it. Once every two weeks I give them a damp wipe and they look great.

Never ever again will I have anything but natural colour floors.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Why is she against it? I'm a design student in Chicago and most of the reason's I hear people state as to why they don't want to hire someone are based on inaccurate assumptions. For instance, if you are thinking of having your floors refinished and stained darker, you will spend a minimum of $1500. For $200 most designers will consult with you on colors and selections, even if you are not having a larger job done. They can recommend a contractor who they trust and use for projects. And believe me, recommending contractors is something designers do carefully because a bad referral is just as bad for the designer as for the contractor.

If you want a referral, PM me. One of my NKBA professors owns a kitchen and bath design firm in Chicago. He's a really good guy, very talented and has lots of connections. He teaches at for universities locally.
She likes to think she has a sense of design, but has never designed anything . She also had an excuse of not wanting someone to recommend a style we dont like, which Im sure wouldnt happen. Given that we need to buy all new furniture, and do painting, I would love some advice, her not so much

Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 AM

614 posts, read 1,357,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
She likes to think she has a sense of design, but has never designed anything . She also had an excuse of not wanting someone to recommend a style we dont like, which Im sure wouldnt happen. Given that we need to buy all new furniture, and do painting, I would love some advice, her not so much
I totally get it. Even as a design student who has some formal training, I tend to make mistakes when I design my own space, partly because I'm emotionally involved and over-think things and partly due to my lack of experience. I've had to live with a few mistakes in my time. So she will also make mistakes and you'll live with them, but she will gain experience.

If you can coach her a bit, have her do a formal design plan before making any changes. Have her select floor colors she likes (the big boxes all give away free samples) and paint chips along with other items you plan to change over time like dining tables, counter tops, cabinet hardware, curtains, etc... Print pictures of furniture and get a sample of textiles you like. Get all your selections together and arrange them onto a 15 x 20 board -- either cardboard or art board. It really helps you to visualize the space when you have the samples all together. Change around selections until it looks good to you. Then glue them down. This is your road map for the room.

Here is an example of a board from this designer who was nice enough to post her boards on the web: Megan Harrah on the Behance Network

Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 AM

12,345 posts, read 12,161,577 times
I have my floors stain "jacobean", it is a really dark brown, love them.

I think the dark floors with the light cabinets are nice.

I hate natural wood colored floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating