U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2012, 12:30 PM

316 posts, read 1,961,425 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy some blinds for our basement windows. I've googled and googled with hundreds of results for blinds from different sites. Some looked legit others looked a little fishy.

Is there a reputable site that someone here can suggest?

I'm not looking for anything that fancy. Looking for a silhouette blind with a cord.
Something like this:

Help?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 02:25 PM

150 posts, read 148,937 times
Hi there,
Have always had the most competitive pricing & satisfactory personalized customer
service with these two companies, been dealing with them for 7 years, no problems. You just need to DIY measure and install.

www.starblinds.com

Blinds,Shades and Window Shutters by Levelor, Bali, Graber, Comfortex and more at Blinds Express.

Good luck

Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,922,688 times
I ordered some blinds from Blinds.com

They're legitimate. They have good customer service for the most part. I ordered the 2" faux wood blinds blinds.com brand. I think they are very decent. I did run into some problems with getting exactly what I needed. The blinds stick out a bit from the side of the window. (Window isn't deep enough to conceal the hardware on the sides) I needed a side return for the valance. It took a couple of tries of calling and getting things mailed. First time they sent some kind of clip, 2nd time the sent the side returns without the mounting hardware, and 3rd charm I finally got what I needed to finish up the blinds. They suggested next time I not order online, but call them directly because I needed a semi custom configuration.

I may order from them again. It is MUCH cheaper than what we did in our last house. Our last house we called Budget Blinds and they came in measured & installed. For an entire house it was around $5,000. Yikes. But we had plantation shutters, blinds, a couple of roman shades, and some cellular shades too. About 40 windows.

Still come out cheaper with blinds.com and measuring and installing ourselves tho.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
For an entire house it was around $5,000. Yikes. But we had plantation shutters, blinds, a couple of roman shades, and some cellular shades too. About 40 windows.
Wow, $5,000!?!?!
I don't think I remember how much we spent for our windows.
Don't think it nothing close to your number.

Luckily I"m just doing 3 windows, 56w x 33L.
Anyone know off hand what I should be expecting to see price wise?
Under $500?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,922,688 times
Yeah well the $5k was through a full service company called Budget Blinds lol...

You can definitely do 3 windows for under $500. You can probably do it for about $150 through Blinds.com

Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 PM

501 posts, read 686,267 times
You can buy inexpensive blinds from Lowe's or Home Depot if you have a standard size window.

Quote:
I ordered some blinds from Blinds.com

They're legitimate. They have good customer service for the most part. I ordered the 2" faux wood blinds blinds.com brand. I think they are very decent. I did run into some problems with getting exactly what I needed. The blinds stick out a bit from the side of the window. (Window isn't deep enough to conceal the hardware on the sides) I needed a side return for the valance. It took a couple of tries of calling and getting things mailed. First time they sent some kind of clip, 2nd time the sent the side returns without the mounting hardware, and 3rd charm I finally got what I needed to finish up the blinds. They suggested next time I not order online, but call them directly because I needed a semi custom configuration.

I may order from them again. It is MUCH cheaper than what we did in our last house. Our last house we called Budget Blinds and they came in measured & installed. For an entire house it was around $5,000. Yikes. But we had plantation shutters, blinds, a couple of roman shades, and some cellular shades too. About 40 windows.

Still come out cheaper with blinds.com and measuring and installing ourselves tho.
Blinds.com is where I get all may cellular shades from and I've never had a problem. Their customer service is fantastic. I emailed them one evening with a question about sizing and first thing the next morning they called me and were very helpful and patient. If you are ordering for the first time from them, I suggest you call and they will help with you with any questions you have. I did this the first time I ordered with them as I wanted to make sure my measurements were correct and they went over all the window measurements with me. I just ordered and installed five of the Blinds.com housebrand and really like them. All five were installed in a couple of hours by my husband (who is not a handyman around the house) and the quality of the shades was very good. Also Blinds.com will give you 10 free samples. They also have quick shipping and have sales quite often.

In my old house we had custom installation of Hunter-Douglas shades and it cost close to a couple of thousand dollars and that was for less than 10 shades. Hunter-Douglas is my favorite brand but they no longer sell online and you must go to a dealer so I am boycotting them.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
You can definitely do 3 windows for under $500. You can probably do it for about $150 through Blinds.com
No dice for me. The best I've been able to price out for sheer shades is around $800.
Oh I was so hoping for under $500.
I did find some other sheers for about $500 but online they don't look that nice.
The reviews did seem good so maybe I'll just take a gamble on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
Blinds.com is where I get all may cellular shades from and I've never had a problem.
With cellular you mean the honeycomb shades, right?
I looked at those as well but how are they with letting light in?
You have to raise them or top down for light to come in?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM

25,522 posts, read 16,898,053 times
Blinds.com is great. I've ordered from them twice and I'm getting ready to do it again

Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post

With cellular you mean the honeycomb shades, right?
I looked at those as well but how are they with letting light in?
You have to raise them or top down for light to come in?
Cellular shades are the honeycomb shades but most stores and websites refer to them as cellular. The shades come with a variety of fabrics, sizes (of the cells themselves) and options. You can get sheerer shades which will let filtered light into the room all the way to room darkening. To get full sunlight you would have to raise the shade and if you get the top down/bottom up option you have the versatility of lowering or raising one or both. They are available in single, double or triple cells. Your windows will have to have the depth for double or triple cells. They all will give you some insulation but the double and triple cell give the most. You can also get them motorized which is expensive, or with cords or cordless. The cordless are the best if you have children. I have all cordless because the shades just look neater without all those codes hanging. You just lift them or lower them with your hand.

The shades can be mounted either inside the window frame if your windows are deep enough or an outside mount.

Here is the website for Blinds.com: Blinds | Window Blinds and Shades | Custom Window Coverings

They explain everything in detail and also have tutorials. If you are considering purchasing them, save yourself some money and get their housebrand.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Blinds.com is great. I've ordered from them twice and I'm getting ready to do it again
Agreed! I'm a repeat customer and have never been disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating