Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:46 PM

157 posts, read 499,149 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a stucco home that is painted Mocha (sherwin william 6067 mocha) - I have been dying to paint the front door, but I'm not sure what color to paint it.

I would love your suggestions!!

Here is a pic of something similar to what we have now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transform-a-Door-Express-After.jpg
Views:	7603
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	98524
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I would choose Black - the contrast between the mocha and black looks very sharp and crisp to me and black goes with any seasonal wreath or decoration that you might use on your door. I would use black to paint the arched outer molding that surrounds the leaded glass windows around and above your door (that is currently white)....your door will really stand out from the street. Black urns flanking the doors with some red flowers would look beautiful.

You have a lovely formal entry - don't get too cutesy with the door color.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-16-2012 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
That sherman williams mocha (below) is pretty dark to have a black contrast.

What color is your roof? What color is your window trim?

These questions are important because you really don't have a "door" to paint since it's all glass except for a few inches around th e door window.

Usually the trim around the door is the same color as the trim for the rest of the house such as windows and the door is painted an accent color.

As a result, you will be painting the trim around the entire door and entry windows. That means the trim around the other house windows will also need to be addressed or it will look strange.

Can you post a picture of your actual house? That will make it easier to decide.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 AM

I really don't think you need to worry about matching the door trim to the other windows on the house - I have a friend is is an interior designer with the most gorgeous house- she is picky beyond belief and everything in and outside her house is perfection - her front door and porch are very very similar to yours - she painted her door and surround black and did not change the window trim which is white - it looks beautiful. By looking at the picture (rather than the posted paint sample), the mocha does not look too dark to have black trim on the door but you will have to be the judge of that - pictures and paint samples online are not always that accurate with regards to actualy color.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Paint it a contrasting color. Something in the dark blue family, or perhaps a red. Or, if you're feeling randy, paint it a burnt orange.

Remember... Front doors are neither difficult, nor expensive, to paint. Be brave. If you don't like what you see, you can repaint it.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 AM

157 posts, read 499,149 times
The house is stucco. The only trim that is painted is around the garage and it's like a chocolate color. The gutters and fascia is also chocolate. All the window trim (the plastic/vinyl part) is white, and obviously the door, and door trim is white. The roof is a gray/brown. Here is a pic of our home...(please click on pic to enlarge it a bit)

Click image for larger version

Name:	House 1826.jpg
Views:	79708
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	98606

Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Wow - that is a very dark color...not sure about the black door...too dark.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
I agree with HOPES on the door, since it's not a solid door.

I'd be more concerned with getting more of the white trim that's around the windows and door on the left side, over onto the right side, by simply painting the trim around each garage door white, and also the little decorative item up at the top near the roof. Generally speaking, people like to paint a solid door red, which would go with all the brown. Or if you have a color you use in your living room decor that you like a lot, or a color that is used as a permanent thing inside, as long as it goes with the brown, that would work too. Look at a "color wheel" online, and you'll notice the warmer colors are together and migrate over into cooler colors. You usually want your door to be in the general grouping of colors where your house color is, with the exception of white or black... any color will go... which is why the trim is white and looks normal on your house, and why a white house might have a blue door.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I wouldn't recommend black as black really shows dirt more than any other color. Take a sample color of your house paint to a paint store and have the clerk show you contrasting brown/tan/taupe etc. colors that would compliment your house and door. Some places you can get a sample jar of paint to try. If it doesn't work get another color until you're satisfied.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,913 times
Gigimac has a good idea by bringing white over to the other side of the house by painting the trim around the garage doors and the decorative trim. I would paint your door a red and leave the trim around the sidelights and transom white. Then place two elegant urns filled with red geraniums on either side of the door. Your ranch is a nice style but it appears too monochromatic with all of that mocha and brown and I would add a little color and contrast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating