Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I moved into a great house that has a beautiful living room with a fireplace centered on one long wall. The room is 13'6" wide by 23'6" deep. Here's a photo looking at the fireplace wall:

The door on the right leads to a large screened porch, which I expect I will use through the late fall (and actually enjoy it more than in the summer with our hot/muggy days). That lovely royal blue porch carpet has been replaced with something neutral.

The fireplace has 2 transitional-style olive green sofas perpendicular to it, facing each other, with a black/pine coffee table in between. They also have matching end tables on each side (i.e., 2 end tables on the fireplace side that match, and 2 other end tables on the "outer" side that match). Before I moved in, I was thinking of painting the living room a pale sage (which is what I had at my old house, and loved), but I decided to wait and live here awhile before doing any painting, and now with 2 olive green sofas, I don't want the whole room to be green.

BUT ... when I was looking for some mantel ideas, I found this photo:

I love the green mantel and was wondering if you think mine could work with this color (with the walls staying plain old white for now). Also, what would you do for pictures etc. above the fireplace? (I had considered putting hard-wired sconces on each side, but decided for now to go with lamps on end tables next to the sofas.)

I know this is silly, but I am almost afraid to put anything up, so I just keep staring at the blank wall and thinking "I must do something soon." I don't have expensive art, just lots of framed prints. For this room, since it's more formal, I was thinking of putting up a couple of Monets (prints of course as I don't own any original Monets, lol!). I have a lot of country-style prints, which I love, but they seem too casual for this room (and I have lots of other rooms in which to use them). I'm not big on symmetry, although the living room is pretty symmetrical (with the porch door closed and its drapes closed too, it looks like a window is there -- actually I think a window WAS there before the porch was built) -- e.g., I like how in the photo above there is something different on either side of the mantel, and I like the juxtaposition of the print on the wall with the smaller print right on the mantel).

The mantel is about 6' wide.

Any mantel ideas? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Since your room and your mantel are a blank slate, the green would look perfect because your mantel is very similar.

You will need to replace your glass doors with something more rustic though.

If you like country style but want a more formal look, use a landscape in a traditional frame instead of a Monet, similar to what's in the picture.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think you should paint the mantel, to give it more definition, and the one in the picture looks nice. You have a certain green in your sofas, so you need to find a mantle color that is compatible.
I would try to find a new painting (print) that I loved, and use it as the jumping off point for the rest of the room.
I sure know how you feel, having a sort of paralysis, it has happened to me too. That is why I always start with either a painting that I like, or a fabric.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Thanks, Hopes and Gentlearts! I do like the idea of painting the mantel to give it more definition. Still have no clue what to put over it though. Maybe I will just rest some framed prints on it for a few days and see how I like them -- not quite the same as actually hanging them, but at least I won't have holes in the walls if I immediately change my mind ...

Will rep you both!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
I'd first consider the colour scheme of the wainscotting and wall above. The floor is light so I'd go a bit darker on the bottom half of the wall and lighter on the top half. Actually, I'd go with a red (maroon/wine), small repeating patterned wall paper and a darker green wainscotting (with the light green on the mantel).

Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Nice room. And great idea with the greenish fireplace mantel.

First, lose the glass and brass doors.
I agree about thinking about some color for the wall, something that complements the green you use.

It looks alot like my fireplace. I own a historic house and the fireplace looks close to yours-- brick trim, brick hearth and wooden mantel. I converted it back to wood burning and keep logs in there during the summer (just like the photo). The original andirons were left so they're in there too. And I bought a fireplace fender from an architectural salvage shop. I kept mine white and embellished it a little because the walls will be a color.

As far as what goes above: keep looking at different rooms you like and think about your options -- a painting, mirror, print, etc. It depends on the rest of your room and what style you have as well as the colors, light, and other furnishings and accessories.

Good luck with your project!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I really like both mantels, and the a green shade of paint could look great, as long as you kept it toned down and not too bright/dark. Do you have a Home Goods store, or something similar nearby? You might be able to find a great deal for something to put above the mantel. If you decide on a painting above the mantel, try to pick out a light color in it that also matches your furniture, and paint the walls with it. Long-term I think white walls could be too sterile.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
I like the look of artwork leaning on the mantel, rather than hanging above it. A mirror with an interesting frame is good, too. You can use one large pieces, or several pieces of varying size. Then add other objects along with it, such as vases, candles, knick knacks, etc. Using objects of varying heights looks really nice. This way you can easily rearrange things, or change out your artwork, if you like. You can change the decor with the seasons, if that's something you like to do.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
For the rustic look, you could paint and distress your mantel and your door to the porch. You could choose a green, or you could choose another color. Put down one of those Pottery Barn rugs to define the area. I think you'll have a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating