Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

With the right browns, you can bring almost any color into a room - including blues/greens. Along with a variety of browns, the PB catalog also features a lot of cream/off-white and linen colors and lots of touches of green in plants and cuttings in vases so the browns are contrasted with beautiful light colors. One of the hutches featured is full of green, yellow and rust orange colored pottery dishes - touches of that rusty orange are in several photos along with some beautiful mossy green lamps and a light mossy green paint color - BM Urban Nature, is also shown on several walls, moldings, doorways, etc. A photo spread called Wine Country Living features light linen colored walls, off-white couches, green plants, a rusty brown leather chair with beautiful cream colored pillows with embroidery that is rusty red, green and gold - it is in no way depressing or modern looking - there are modern touches but overall, the catalog is soundly traditional, even rustic in some cases. There are a couple of darkish rooms but the majority of the catalog is quite beautiful with lovely accent colors. Instead of having rooms full of color, I find it pleasing to my eye to have some neutrals so that accent colors really shine and I can also change out the accent colors depending on the season. I tend to prefer restful rooms. Children's rooms are the exception.

Last edited by Cattknap; 08-26-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Brown is in. What's funny is I designed this look for my home 2 yrs ago and kind of want a change. When I got the PB catalog I was like...meh...

Kind of a bummer because the next one will be filled with Christmas crap.
Brown is totally in. I have seen so many new brown cars lately it is amazing.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
One of the hutches featured is full of green, yellow and rust orange colored pottery dishes - touches of that rusty orange are in several photos along with some beautiful mossy green lamps and a light mossy green paint color - BM Urban Nature, is also shown on several walls, moldings, doorways, etc.
I could get excited by rusty orange!!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Personally, I've been craving light airy colors for about a year now....air, water, sky. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the last of the earth tones in this house as soon as I can. My new favorite color is the color of the lichen on the trees down here. I have not yet found the paint color that nails this beautiful gray/green/blue color.
Quote:
^^^This is where I am at now. I re-did my kitchen earlier this year and went with a white kitchen. I have been drawn to light and bright since then. I've been eyeing the coastal look.
This is where I'm at too. Since we're in the process of getting our house ready to put on the market, everything is boring neutral. When house hunting, I imagine fresh light airy colors in prospective homes. Problem is that we're currently considering a cottage house on river front property that is wooded. I can't really do the coastal look there. And I'm not into country decor. If we buy that place, it will be interesting to see what I do with it. I told hubby that it would need completely redone in order to live in it. He didn't have a problem with that. Maybe there is a way to bring mountain living and coastal cottage living together.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default How timely!

I was in PB store earlier this evening with DW and we both were sorta shocked by how drab the new "collection" is -- I think they were inspired by the set designers for Hunger Games' district twelve!

Even more peculiar a bit further in the mall we stumbled into the Restoration Hardware store where it too had an unappealing mix of dull metal finishes and browns that had a feel not of nostalgia but decay. Though RH was never really my preferred home furnishings store I suspect the long term economic problems have weighed down the designers and they are going for a "bleak" asthetic ...

This is one fad that I hope will not last long at all!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is where I'm at too. Since we're in the process of getting our house ready to put on the market, everything is boring neutral. When house hunting, I imagine fresh light airy colors in prospective homes. Problem is that we're currently considering a cottage house on river front property that is wooded. I can't really do the coastal look there. And I'm not into country decor. If we buy that place, it will be interesting to see what I do with it. I told hubby that it would need completely redone in order to live in it. He didn't have a problem with that. Maybe there is a way to bring mountain living and coastal cottage living together.
How exciting! I am not a fan of country. Never have been even when everyone was scrambling to art fairs and picking up those pine bookshelves with the heart carved in them. ack. I do like rustic though. My house was built in the 90's and its the newest home I have ever owned. For the first few years I was excited by the modern lines but my heart is more traditional. We are now adding character to the house giving it a older look. My husband admitted after our last project he misses the character of the older homes we owned. He is excited to add another project to the list.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
^^^This is where I am at now. I re-did my kitchen earlier this year and went with a white kitchen. I have been drawn to light and bright since then. I've been eyeing the coastal look.
My kitchen is "mulled cider", which is a dark pumpkin color. At first I thought it was kind of cool, but as I live with it, I feel the walls are closing in on me. It is going, as well as the adjacent great room which is painted in a brown paper bag color.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
How exciting! I am not a fan of country.
The decorating challenge has been avoided.

Today we decided against the property. Turns out there is a 100 foot straight cliff into the river.

It's beautiful with stunning views but I could only imagine my dog flying over the edge of the cliff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My kitchen is "mulled cider", which is a dark pumpkin color. At first I thought it was kind of cool, but as I live with it, I feel the walls are closing in on me. It is going, as well as the adjacent great room which is painted in a brown paper bag color.
Yeah, I think the spice, pumpkin and reds are on their way out. I'd quickly bore of a brown paper bag color too.

After all of these dark colors being popular for the past years, light and airy is the only logical next trend.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-27-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The decorating challenge has been avoided.

Today we decided against the property. Turns out there is a 00 foot straight cliff into the river.

It's beautiful with stunning views but I could only imagine my dog flying over the edge of the cliff.

Yeah, I think the spice, pumpkin and reds are on their way out. I'd quickly bore of a brown paper bag color too.

After all of these dark colors being popular for the past years, light and airy is the only logical next trend.

Spice, pumpkin and reds will always be popular accessory colors for fall and that is the context in which they were used in the fall PB catalog. I would not want any of those colors on my walls. Also, most of the walls in the fall PB catalog were either white or off-white.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Spice, pumpkin and reds will always be popular accessory colors for fall and that is the context in which they were used in the fall PB catalog. I would not want any of those colors on my walls. Also, most of the walls in the fall PB catalog were either white or off-white.
I've never been one to do seasonal decorating. I don't wear holiday sweaters/sweatshirts either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating