Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM

51 posts, read 329,385 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever seen bookshelves on stilts whose shelves start about halfway up the average wall? Many apartments in my area don't allow tenants to install shelves in the walls. It seems it would be very helpful if furniture companies would make shelves on stilts that could be placed above other furniture, like the laundry hamper or a dresser, or even the bed, to utilize the available vertical space in small apartments. You could adjust the shelves depending on the height of the furniture below it.

I'm guessing Ikea must have some open shelving that can be constructed without the lower shelves, but I wouldn't want it to look junky or unfinished. If this doesn't exist someone should make it. There must be a big market for it! Many people either aren't allowed to drill holes for shelves in their walls, or don't want the fuss of re-installing them every time they move. I've done it, and trying to install them straight is a huge pain.

Any info? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Are you talking about something like this?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
I also think there are shelves of some kind where the end posts are spring-loaded, and you adjust it for ceiling height, and it locks on floor and ceiling wherever you put it.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
One search. shelving ideas - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I also think there are shelves of some kind where the end posts are spring-loaded, and you adjust it for ceiling height, and it locks on floor and ceiling wherever you put it.

Ikea's "Broder" system does exactly that.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Thanks, but those shelves take up floor space or require you to drill holes in the walls.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Ikea's "Broder" system does exactly that.
Sadly, Broder seems to require that you drill holes in the wall. I'm looking for bookshelves on stilts. I could stack bookshelves on top of my dressers, but it probably wouldn't be good to put all that extra weight on the dresser.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:53 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
OP, if you don't mind a really casual look, you could use something like these: Amazon.com: 2x4basics 90124 ShelfLinks Custom Storage System, Black - 6 Pack: Home Improvement .

I just bought some to make shelves over rollaway litter boxes in my home office -- otherwise, the space above them is just wasted space, which seems to be what you are talking about too. The manufacturer's web site has a lot of their own photos PLUS customer photos using the brackets starting here: 2 x 4 Basics .

The brackets are a bit pricey, but I like them for REALLY casual storage. They are EXTREMELY flexible in terms of configurations, as you can see from the photos.

For a bedroom, you could do a search for "bookcase headboard." Alas, most of the inexpensive ones are cheap particleboard, but I have one of those bought many years ago and it held up OK. (There are also some that are much more expensive, e.g. $1,000+ for the headboard alone.)

Please let us know what you end up with!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1214 View Post
Sadly, Broder seems to require that you drill holes in the wall. I'm looking for bookshelves on stilts. I could stack bookshelves on top of my dressers, but it probably wouldn't be good to put all that extra weight on the dresser.

I don't know what you were looking at but I can assure you it doesn't require holes in a wall. Some are even free-standing.

BRODER system - Combinations & All parts - IKEA

Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 AM

37,104 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don't know what you were looking at but I can assure you it doesn't require holes in a wall. Some are even free-standing.

BRODER system - Combinations & All parts - IKEA
From your link:

"This furniture must be secured to the wall with the enclosed anti-topple device.
Stability brace and safety strap included; to be mounted according to the assembly instruction for maximum stability.
Different wall materials require different types of fasteners. Use fasteners suitable for the walls in your home (not included)."

Some of the pieces with wider shelves at the bottom appear to be free standing, but that defeats OP's goal.

Just about any tall shelving system is going to need to be attached to the wall for safety reasons. There will be fewer holes in the wall than with individually attached shelves, but holes none the less.

And Op does not want anything that looks "junky". Those pieces are not exactly decorative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating