Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 14,339 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We need help for our entryway floor refinish project. We've ripped up carpeting and sanded down the pine underneath. The rest of the house is previously refinished maple hardwood floor - we kept it natural color without staining. I've included pictures of the area rug we plan to use in the room (can be changed if needed), the sanded pine floor, a close up of the pine floor, along with the refinished maple floors.

We are wondering if we should stain the pine or just leave it as is and poly with the natural color. It has many imperfections and is very rustic and certainly would look different than the maple floor. I am thinking staining would help with the imperfections, but would it look really odd to have dark stain next to the unstained maple floors??? What type and color of stain might look good? We are just unsure what to do at this point and would love some tips and help.
Attached Thumbnails
Pine floor refinish - please help-photo1.jpg   Pine floor refinish - please help-photo2.jpg   Pine floor refinish - please help-photo3.jpg   Pine floor refinish - please help-photo4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv53 View Post
We need help for our entryway floor refinish project.
We've ripped up carpeting and sanded down the pine underneath.
The rest of the house is maple hardwood floor
Think about that for a few minutes and why it may have been done that way originally.

Was any other material ever on top of the entryway wood?
Do your neighbors have such?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 14,339 times
We went through a layer of indoor/outdoor carpet and a layer of linoleum before getting to the floor. It was originally an outdoor porch that has since been enclosed. This appears to be the original outdoor porch floor.

We could consider covering it up with some other material which would be expensive, or we could paint it... but I was hoping a stain and some poly could end up making it look nice in the end...

Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv53 View Post
We went through a layer of indoor/outdoor carpet and a layer of linoleum...
genuine linoleum is a wonderful flooring choice for older homes
some sort of impervious material like that (vinyl? tile?) is appropriate...
and will last a lot longer than any finished pine will.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,895 times
What you are looking at may be simply the pine planking of the porch. Those boards can be finished with a polyurethane coating, BUT.....

Make sure that boards are thick enough to be stable. They should be a minimum of 3/4" thick and protected from moisture from the crawl space. I also would hope that these are tongue and groove boards, which would increase torsional stability substantially.

I wouldn't stain them. The beauty of the pine is its own character and color.

EDIT: The flooring you show us is grayish in color. That may be due to the old cutback type of adhesive used to glue down the old linoleum/vinyl . If that's the case, you may never get the rich golden tones for which pine flooring is known, and in fact may turn out kinda blotchy. It also looks to be a genuine plank for porches (as you've mentioned) that is NOT tongue and groove. You may need to install a 1/4" birch veneer plywood or cement backer board over the pine, and install a ceramic/pocelain tile or an LVT product over it. Test a small area with a water-based poly coating and see what happens over a week's time. If it colors evenly, fine. If not, you can go over it as described above with the floor of your choosing.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Last edited by Streamer1212; 10-11-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,271 times
You received very good advice from the previous posters. The pine floor is much too rustic against your beautiful maple floors. It is laid out in the opposite direction from the rest of your floors, it looks to be very old and weathered. I don't think any stain is going to give you the lighter tones that would look good against the maple. As you know from the many dents you found, pine is a very soft wood and not the best choice for a foyer.

You would be much better off replacing it with linoleum or ceramic tiles that can withstand the traffic from your front door in all weather conditions plus you will have more insulation when you cover this up. Quite frankly,the pine does not look good at all and I highly doubt staining it even with a poly finish will make it look better.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Think about that for a few minutes and why it may have been done that way originally.

Was any other material ever on top of the entryway wood?
Do your neighbors have such?
In the early days the pine was used in the less formal areas cheaper. They probably always had rugs there as an entrance. I think leaving it unstained, but poly coated would be fine, especially since you'll have entrance rugs. I like the wall color, what is that?
After a second look I agree with the previous folks. use a pretty linoleum, from the era is possible, or invest in a nice tile. i find going to open houses in older neighborhoods gives me some nice ideas. I would take my time, if possible until i found the perfect flooring...that small of an area you could go really rich looking...it is the first impression, and it will really make your maple look sweet. Also, if you have any artistic friends, painted pine floors can look awesome, especially matching the period of the home...You could put a really nice waterproof sealer...That would buy you time til you found what you love for the entrance...or you might decide you like it. What a nice house, I see some really good bones, including that little peek of the fireplace...Craftsman?? The floors look great..Good job. Can't wait for updates.

Last edited by JanND; 10-11-2012 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
That pine is NOT indoor finish flooring. It is STRUCTURE of the old porch!

I would strongly recommend laying a TRUE finish floor over that! If you shop for value priced cork, bamboo, true linseed oil based linoleum or any other appropriate material it will wear MUCH better than the pine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating