U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM

61 posts, read 188,747 times
Talking Estimated cost of interior painting?

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of buying a home and I am thinking of hiring a professional (first time) to come in and paint all the rooms in my new home excluding the 1/2 bathroom downstairs and hanging wallpaper in the front entrance way and going up the stairs. A couple of the rooms will also need the ceiling painted as well as some crown molding. The total square footage of the home is around 1500 sq ft. What can I expect for an estimated cost for labor and supplies for such a project? I live in MA.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM

16,604 posts, read 20,360,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightyellowhaha View Post
...buying a home and I am thinking of hiring a professional (first time) to come in and paint all the rooms
Painting is the easy part. The prep work is where the effort lies.

Most sellers will make some effort before selling to make the place look nice which often includes fresh paint. Most buyers would be be better off if the sellers effort ended at the wall washing and maybe some touch up because most of those "do it once every 10 years or so" paint jobs look like crap because they don't (won't) do the prep work right.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 AM

6,522 posts, read 19,842,356 times
4-6k. Guesstamation based on unknowns and a heavy labor cost/union area.

There are still a lot of unknowns- carpet, no carpet; stain grade crown, paint grade. One piece or buildup.
Color for walls. The darker, the more coats. Current condition of walls, drywall or plaster. Type of wallpaper and size of rolls.
Two story foyer, or one. Availability for entry, house empty or not. etc., etc., etc.
???????????????????

Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM

15,820 posts, read 29,792,474 times
quality of paint and primer, quality of workmanship, sprayed or a good rollled/brushed job?, condition of walls, type of wallls (plaster or drywall), timing. . . . .

COuld be anywhere form $5000 to $25,000 (even more if you get really outrageous).

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM

61 posts, read 188,747 times
Hi Everyone thank you for the feedback! The conditions of the walls are good, no holes or damage. The current colors are either a white or a light tan so pretty easy to paint over. The house is currently empty and I was thinking of having someone come in and paint and put up the wallpaper prior to moving in. I was hoping the costs would be a little less than 5K. I might just have them paint the downstairs and then I do the bedrooms myself since there's not crown molding. Thanks again!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM

256 posts, read 739,203 times
I live in Maryland. Right now you can find a good painter to do the walls of a room (regardless of size) for $200 and that includes the a good paint and any prep materials. Ceilings are $100 (also includes paint and supplies). These prices do not include painting trim.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 PM

6,522 posts, read 19,842,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I live in Maryland. Right now you can find a good painter to do the walls of a room (regardless of size) for $200 and that includes the a good paint and any prep materials. Ceilings are $100 (also includes paint and supplies). These prices do not include painting trim.
Even here in the ATL you can have a room painted for $200.
And that's exactly what you get- four walls painted!
No prep- sanding, filling, drywall repair, nothing- just a gallon of paint slapped on the wall!
Wham-Bam-Thank You-ma'am! That'll be 200 bucks.
BS!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,455,431 times
You will have to do the research yourself on this. Use Angie's list for referrals. Ask friends who have done what you want to do for recs. But get a couple or three estimates, and be prepared for finding out that it will be more expensive than you would like.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM

708 posts, read 1,359,289 times
I had the entire interior of my 1600 square foot home painted in 2010. It was probably more of a job than your home, because it was all wallpapered and also I had the outside doors and shutters painted as part of the job. The interior of my house also has a lot of molding, trim, cabinets, and other built-ins, and he painted all of that too. He did all the prep, and drywall repair, and primer paint first and I even had him paint the insides of my closets.

Total cost, including paint, other materials, and labor, was $4500. I thought he did a very good job. I also didn't realize what a huge amount of work it is for one person to paint the entire inside of a house, until I saw him do it. He worked like a dog and it took over a week.

The above posts are right, though. It really depends on your location and on details of the job.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM

256 posts, read 739,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Even here in the ATL you can have a room painted for $200.
And that's exactly what you get- four walls painted!
No prep- sanding, filling, drywall repair, nothing- just a gallon of paint slapped on the wall!
Wham-Bam-Thank You-ma'am! That'll be 200 bucks.
BS!
The $200 paint job I was referring to included considerable prep work. Sanding, filling, repair of popped nails, a coat of sealer/primer, and finally the Duron paint the guy provided. I calculated that the cost of the paint and supplies would have cost me at least $100 per room and spending the extra hundred for all the labor was well worth it. He did quite a few rooms for me and I don't think I was able to find a flaw in any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating